Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kazuma Falcon 110 Drive Chain Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kazuma Falcon 110 Drive Chain Assembly

I'm looking for some help with the front sprocket for the drive chain on a Kazuma Falcon 110. I bought it used and I'm trying to fix a few things up without breaking the bank... The other weekend, I took the carb apart cleaned it up and put it back. It ran alot better. So... I decided to open it up a little on the road. When I let off the throttle, the drive chain broke. When I looked at it to figure out why it broke, I noticed that the front sprocket was just sitting on the shaft with nothing holding it on. Unbelievable.

I found the part I needed to secure it (and a new master link) and they came in this week. The piece that holds the sprocket on is called the front sprocket clip. It has holes that line up with the sprocket and it is one tooth off of the sprocket to hold it on the splined shift. No big deal (so I thought). I installed everything and it was popping when I turned the rear wheels. I took the sprocket clip off and rotated the wheels (to let the sprocket drift) and it nearly came off the shaft. Now I'm not sure if I assembled it correctly OR if I'm missing parts OR if something else is damaged or misaligned/bent. I haven't found any real pictures of this assembled and I don't have any kind of manual for it. Does anyone have any ideas? It would be great if there was someone with a similar setup that could send me over a picture.

Here is a link to the only documentation I could find. E22 Honda Copy. When I started, I only had piece 20 (sprocket). I bought piece 21 (front sprocket clip). I have no idea what piece 22 is or what it does.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds like the 'rear axle' may not be lined up properly (ie. square to the bike and / or motor).

Start by taking a 12" metal 'straight edge' and placing it on the side of the rear axle sprocket. The straight edge should 'point' to the front counter shaft gear. It sounds like it might be pointing toward the 'left' too much. If it is:

Place a jack stand under the motor skid plate as far to the rear as possible. Make the height of the jack stand just about 'even' with the 'resting' height of the ATV. Remove the main rear swing arm bolt (about 14" long). Examine the 'bushings' for wear. If worn - replace and check for rear sprocket alignment with the new bushings.

Also make sure that the front sprocket is correct for the chain & rear sprocket that you have. There are both a #420 chain and a #428 chain. If someone replace the front sprocket with the 'wrong' one - the chain will make it almost all the way around the sprocket, but will then start 'lifting' off the sprocket teeth as it makes its way around (it will still work - for a while, until either the chain or the sprocket breaks).

Old 07-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! I'll check that out today. Do you know what the normal chain tension is? I saw something for another brand/model that said 1 1/2" to 2". Does that sound right? If so, that may be part of my problem as well. I've got about 1/2" of deflection. What's the best way to tell if it's a 420 or 428 and that the sprocket is right for the chain?

Thinking about that chain tension, I'm now wondering if it could just be in a bind because it's too tight.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

this sounds like you purchased the wrong size counter shaft spocket retainer, these engines have two differant size counter shafts, ones a 20mm the other is a 17mm, just off hand sounds like you installed a 20mm retainer on a 17mm shaft.