Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Two Brand New ATA 250-D ATVs Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Brand New ATA 250-D ATVs Won't Start

I just bought two Zhe Jiang TAOTAO Industries ATA 250-D quads. Nice looking.... no instructions whatsoever for assembly, so if you don't know what you are doing, find someone who does. Both units are assembled now and ready to go, but neither one starts. Lights work, batteries are fine, fuel lines are all connected, wires all appear tightly connected. Engines turn over nicely... they just don't start. Switches are all in the correct position. Tried using Engine starting fluid, but no results. I suspect its not just a loose wire or a bad spark plug, because both units have the exact same problem. Is 'first-time' starting these units a big problem? Any suggestions?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

But do they have spark to the plug?
Is the plug wet with fuel?
That's where I would start.

I'd find a cat. Have it crap on one and cover it up with the other j/k. Sorry, couldn't resist. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
How the heck you go from a fine american harley to less then fair chinese???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Pull off the spark plug cap, put a screwdriver inside the spark plug cap and then hold the screwdriver shaft next to the motor. push button to start motor and look for a spark. If the motor has a chrome exhaust pipe look for bluing of the pipe next to the motor to determine if the motor had been ran at the factory. If no evidence of previously ran and you have spark it may be the valves are in need of adjusting.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem. Open the valve at the gas tank, then find the screw that opens the drain for the float bowl on the carb and open it. Mine was airlocked and bleeding the float bowl until fuel ran clear out the drain without bubbles fixed it immediately.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

The kill switches on the left handles can be in the wrong position. The switch will kill the engine spark when moved side to side. The switch just needs to be reset by pushing it straight in, in the center postion.

Hope thats the issue, let us know.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

i did the same thing my friend and i sat on my lawn for an hour. we probally ruined the ignition. but the fuel line cut off, comes in the of position, just follow the fuel line and you will find it. then im sure u already know about the kill switch setting. and putting it together def was a pain wit that nice broken english manuel

Old 09-08-2008, 05:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you havent solved your starting problem,definately look into the kill switch on the left side handle bar. Even with the switch in the correct "RUN" position,these assemblies seem to have a shared common problem among myself and other local TaoTao owners.

Two things occur, first, the contact inside the switch assembly seems to need adjustment right from factory. Second, it seems dust can get into the switch and cause contact issues. I experienced the non-start issue within hours of my inital start up and set out to figure what was going on. The contact surfaces in the kill switch assembly was the discovery.

Just a note on this subject! To adjust the contacts in the switch, you will have to disassemble the switch from the handle bar via two screws located on the underside of the switch. Once inside of the switch, there will be a screw or two to remove to gain access to the actual contacts. Take care in watching for small parts that can fall out at this point. I recommend disassembly over something like a shoebox or on a bench where small parts cannot be lost.

At this point you should see the contact assembly. Check to make sure they they are making contact while in the "RUN" positon and that the contact surfaces are clean. Pick up a tube of dielectric grease from your local autoparts store if you do not have any and swab the grease in on and around the contacts.

This will prevent future contact failure,especially helpfull if you ride in wet muddy areas. I had my atv parked in my garage and my second kill switch failure was actually due to a spider that made its way into the switch and spun a web all over inside. Crazy I know. . .true story however. That's when I put the dielectric grease in. Happy to report no spider webs to date and the switch has been flawless.

Hope this helps otherwise it may help others that run into the same symptoms you explained.

Regards. . .

Old 10-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Did you ever fix your starting problem? I have two ATA-250Ds and they have been running okay, but now neither will start. I have tried bleeding the carb to no avail. If I pull them, I can get them to start by enganging them in gear at speed, and they will restart again after I cut them off. Next day... won't start. Any ideas?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

are u applying the brake when ur tryin 2 start them? some chineese atvs have a safty switch in the brake system

Old 11-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, the engine is turning, but not starting I have notices the the colder it gets, the harder they are to start. They will start pretty well at 68F and above, but have a harder time or not start at all below that. I can point them downhill, get the rolling and then get them to start by engaging the tranny. battery strength doesn't seem to be the issue. maybe I need to get some gumout and clear the carbs really well.

Quick Reply: Two Brand New ATA 250-D ATVs Won't Start