Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

xtreme 49 cc atv

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xtreme 49 cc atv

We have had this lil bike for like 4 years it has never idled properly"surges up n down" I have to idle it up when its cold and idle it back down when it gets warm the idle is all over on this thing i have cleaned the carb alot of times with no change, cannot find parts on the net for it the headlight is like a strobe light with diff colors had it changed out 5 time while it was under warranty last a week or so we want to give this to some friends but i would like to get it running right before giving it to the kid cause his dad is not a wrench turner at all any help would be helpful MERRY christmas all THANKS

Old 01-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default xtreme 49 cc atv

I bought my daughter an X-49 for xmas last year, and I got it off of Craigslist for $150...it barely ran then.

I too cleaned the carb, made sure all was good there, changed oil, and got it running pretty well. I always had to start it with starter fluid, but like you, the thing surges all the time, so I declared it unsafe for my daughter to ride.

Just last week I got a huge score online, on ebay I found a copy of the service manual for the quad and picked it up.

Right now I have been going over the quad with a fine comb. Sadly, the only tools the guy before me had were wire cutters, a hammer and hot glue gun. The more I peel the layers on this thing, the worse it looks.

That being said, I did find a really big issue. The intake between the carberator and the head had a 2 inch gash. I could not see this with simply looking at it, it was not until I pulled the carb, and the intake boot, that I finally noticed it. I am going to call Xtreme and get a replacement and am hoping that is the culprit. Like you though, there is NO information on the web.

I happen to have a dealer less than a mile from house that is an xtreme dealer, but after talking with the guys there, they know nothing of the x-49.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default xtreme 49 cc atv

Latency,

From the picture it looks like a GY6 engine. Is that true? If so there is tons of info on the internet about this engine, and parts are very plentiful. Gy6 service manuals are available for free here:

Service manuals for Gy6 (and some others)

The leak in the intake manifold elbow is very common. The classic test for this is to spray starting fluid on the elbow while the engine is idling. Any change in engine speed indicates a cracked manifold.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default xtreme 49 cc atv

THANKS LYNN!

I am not sure, I am going to have to check. Doing some quick google searches, you are right, lots of information out there.

Thanks for the tip!!

Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default xtreme 49 cc atv

Do you have a phone # or a url to xtreme i havent had much luck

Old 01-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default xtreme 49 cc atv

Hey Ranman007 --

Their site is : http://www.xtrememotorco.com/

You wont find any information of use other than their contact number:

888-844-9440

Hope this helps!

BTW, after the post from Lynn< i have been searching ebay...and if my mini quad does in fact have the Gy6, I can get a full crate motor with carb for $249 buy it now. That may be the route I go....but I have found a ton of parts sites!!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default xtreme 49 cc atv

I have officially started mini-fem's frame-off restoration of her 2004 Xtreme X-49 50cc 4-Stroke ATV. I bought this little guy from Craigslist last year, and I have had serious issues with it. I keep scratching my head to try and figure out what the previous owner could have done to get it in this BAD of a condition. I have determined, that it spent at least half of it's life stored outside.

So last year, it started like this, looked good, but was really nice on the outside and a disaster on under the plastics:

Lose the bars, remove the battery, remove the body work, remove the left side cover, remove the carb...this is the first issue. The intake boot going into the head has a 2 inch gash. That needs replaced:

Next up, getting rid of the wheels and all of the 'protective' black plastic engine shrouding:

Ouch, look at that rear brake. Completely bound up with mud, rocks and debris. Time to clean those pads and get the calipers unfrozen:

Then time to pull the other side cover. This cooling fan, had at LEAST, 12 inches of inseam from what looks to have been some poor kids toughskins, or maybe lee jeans. Unbelieveable this thing ran:

Then, after some review of the service manual, it was time, for, the...motor extraction:

Here is the beast. The head itself is toast, both exhaust ports were destroyed when Captain Goober the handy man previous owner used drywall screws to secure a loose exhaust pipe...FI(*$&$#!!!!:

Next up, time to lose the rear axle and shock. Shock is completely locked and bound up...will need replaced:

So cute! :

Here is the wire snarled harness. Captain Sr. Ding Dong before me, decided he would cut wires, HOT GLUE others, and fray most. I am going to have hand rebuild this guy to get it in good dependable working order:

And that brings us to the last shot of the quad. Ready for the paint, rust, weld flack and grime removal, I am left with just the bare frame. I am going to start cleaning this guy in the upstairs paint shop tomorrow. Time to clean it up, and make this thing look better than when it rolled off the chinese assembly line (if more than one person actually worked on it):

Thought I would also toss up a shot of the shop as it is right now. SO hard to keep things in order. You would think this garage as large as it is, would be plenty of space, BUT IT NEVER IS!!! You can see in this shot, I have three active projects going at one time....the mini-quad frame off, the NSR50R (awaiting parts), and the PitsterPro X2R that I recently redid the exhaust on...so many motors and pistons and SO LITTLE time...

Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Electrical Expert
Default xtreme 49 cc atv

Nice pic's, latency. This brakes really looked bad!

Keep us updated on your progress.

Lynn Edwards

Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default xtreme 49 cc atv

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I bought one of these little guys from a buddy of mine and had to rebuild right off the start. The carb was clogged so I took them apart and I thought I had cleaned them but I had to keep using starter fluid to fire it off and then had to baby the throttle to keep it running. I took off the carb again and then soaked the jets for 24hours in carb cleaner and now it runs well without having to use starter fluid. It runs even better when I add Stable to the fuel!! I finally figured out what that little round *** was for by the right foot and that little idle adjustment helped when i turned it right or left. Cold starts arn't a problem anymore.
Also the headlight I just drilled out a larger hole in the back and removed that flashy bulb crap and replaced it with a multi-LED 1127bulb and bulbkit from Pep Boys for like $10 and also lined the inside backing of the headlight assembly with the shiny side of aluminum foil and glued it down. I then replaced the rear light with another LED Amber light strip from Pep Boys for like $10. The LEDs draw less power than the strobes and have continuous BRIGHT headlight and taillight. All of this was really easy and WORTH it so now my girls can ride into the eavening safely
My new problem is that my girls were riding and the throttle cable broke off at the nut and I can't figure out how to repair or order a new one. I called the company and left a message but no reply. There arn't any dealers around so what do I do. This is my daughters favorite hobby and I don't want to park this thing for a little part like that. If anyone reads this and knows how to help please reply.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Electrical Expert
Default xtreme 49 cc atv

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: baker7112
...My new problem is that my girls were riding and the throttle cable broke off at the nut and I can't figure out how to repair or order a new one...</end quote></div>

I would look on eBay or check the many internet parts sites dedicated to chinese quad/scooter/pit bikes. Many of the same parts are used interchangably between different brands so it is likely the part you need is out there.

Quick Reply: xtreme 49 cc atv