Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice

Im looking for 2 atv 150s for my boys must be auto
would like some info and your advice
this is one Im looking at

http://www.atvdiscounter.com/A...V-08/ProductInfo.aspx

has anyone bought from them
I have been reading on this forum for years and got alot of help
This is my first post
thank you

Old 03-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default advice

Go to google, type in "ATVDiscounters.com reviews".

Caveat emptor.

I do think 150cc GY6 engine powered quads are a good deal. Just not from those people. The GY6 engine has been around a long time and has complete service manuals that can be downloaded for free. This is not true for a lot of other engines. Engine parts are available from countless sources.

I have a 150cc GY6 quad made by Hensim. It had some initial problems (all minor in retrospect) but has run solid for about a year now with about 150 hours on it.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default advice

has anyone bought from reliableatv.com

Old 03-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default advice

"Seeing my son cry because he feels like he wasted $100 of his own money to purchase this ATV was a big low point."
quoted from another thread

Right there ya have it. China junk!
Wanna see smiles or tears.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default advice

Unless you are fairly handy with your tools and hands, then I still recommend sticking with some of the more familiar major brands. There continue to be huge issues with quality control, quality of materials, design etc. Lack of parts is a major hiccup on many of these. Sure there are some out there that are deals, but the stats indicate that they are not exactly a good buy. Cheap usually means cheap. Are you going to put your children on something that may have a major failure when they are riding at speed? I know of riders who have had suspension failures due to poor welds, poor tubing etc. I am not going to put my son on one. But that is just my opinion. There are going to be a lot of guys who swear by them, but there are just as many more who swear AT them.

This is not to say you won't have problems with major brands. You will, but the deal is I can get service in a reasonable amount of time. Ditto for parts.
WSith all teh problems the Chinese are having these days with just about every product they produce, I'd have to really wonder about it.

Lastly, are you buying from a company that this is their main business? If it is a local guy on a street corner at a gas station, like the majority of these cheap machines are being sold from, where is their service and parts departments. Where is their safety training programs etc.
Educate your self before laying down your cash...

Old 03-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default advice

There really are good honest dealers that sell chinese quads, and support them with service and parts. But you have to search for them and be an intelligent shopper.

When I first started looking for a quad I looked at eBay and all the other internet sites. I crossed them all off my list. I found a brick and mortar store that also serviced what they sold, including machining and custom modification services. I had to drive 90 miles to buy from someone who met my standards. I've never had to use any of their services, with one exception: I bought a new throttle/front brake lever assembly from their parts department when I sheared mine off in a rollover crash. These are available online at numerous sites, but my dealer had the best price so I went with them.

To be clear, when I say I didn't need any services from my dealer I don't mean to say that I didn't have problems. I had some problems, but they were minor and I fixed them all by myself with parts from eBay (which are plentiful and very inexpensive).

One of the most puzzling things I read on this and other forums are posts about the lack of availability of parts. My experience had been exactly the opposite. Parts are available everywhere and at really good prices. If you choose a generic me too quad you are almost guaranteed to have unlimited access to parts from numerous sources.

Lack of available service may be legitimate point in some areas. If you can't find a dealer like mine and are not willing or able to work on small engines yourself, then your options are limited when your quad stops working. I chose to buy a 150cc GY6 powered quad because I was able to download complete service manuals for free. I did all this research before I bought the quad.

If one is smart and diligent you can get a good deal on a chinese quad and have a satisfactory experience. If you are looking for just the lowest price you will just might be ripped off.

Due diligence requires that you also look at buying used name brand quads. Some report that this is a cost effective path. When I was shopping I looked at this and came to nothing but dead ends. Perhaps it is where I live (California) where the registration and smog requirements are so tight. Bottom line is that I couldn't find anything that came close to the cost of a brand new chinese quad.