Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Disc Brakes on a outlaw 90?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Disc Brakes on a outlaw 90?

Hey everyone, last year I bought a outlaw 90 for my son and its a great bike. The only thing that sucks is the rear brakes!! I am 38 years old and I have a hard time puliing the brakes in. I want to do somthing about it before him or somebody else gets hurt. Any ideas? I was thinking of trying to find a wrecked eton or something and taking the disc brakes of it and putting it on the outlaw. What do you guys think? any help would be great!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer

We've got a Predator 90 and the rear brakes work great when they're not filled with mud. When the brakes get tight on ours, I usually take it apart and give it a good cleaning with some brake cleaner spray. It's a good idea to replace the brake drum dust seal when you do this. Obviously, check the shoes while you're in there, but they last a pretty long time if they're kept clean. Make sure that the pin that expands the shoes is greased and moving freely.

To use brakes from another machine will probably require an axle transplant so you can mount the disc. It's been a few months since I've had ours apart, but I don't recall there being a separate axle bearing carrier, I think they're pressed into the swing arm. That means you'd probably need to find a matching swing arm and make it fit. I don't see it working without major transplant surgery.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

i had the same problem with both my daughters quads one is a scrambler 50 and other predator 90 what i found to work for me was to chamfer the very end of the brake shoes on both ends only slightly and i havent had anymore problems seem to self clean a bit better the first time it happened i thought the machine seized up but now it is good. i cant be held liable if it dont work for you but it worked for me