Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 No spark/no nothing

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 No spark/no nothing

This thing started & ran fine 2 weeks ago. now it wont start. I hit the start button & nothing. i got a new relay & nothing. I bypassed the relay by taking it out & cutting 2 pieces of clothes hangers & putting them in the slots to connect the wires together. when i put the positive wire to the battery it turns over fine (negative connected to battery) & cranks strong, but will not fire up. i think Ive flooded the hell out of it, there is a little gas leaking from where the exhaust connects to the motor. I took the plug out & it was wet so i think its getting fuel. I tried checking for spark but really don't know what I'm doing. I took the plug wire off & put a screwdriver close to it while cranking it & didnt see any spark. Ive seen a fuse in the parts diagram but cant find it on the bike. Ive checked the button that people say can pop out when overloaded & its in. All help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mywifesquad; 01-15-2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Title change for clarity
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

To test for spark.

Remove plug,put it back in wire the hold plug gap to steel of motor then pull rope,if you do not see a spark try a new plug. If new plug does not work check cheap things like key on,kill switch,connections,ignition coil,stator and cdi.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

TLC reply is how i check for spark... Your definitely getting gas if its dripping out of the exhaust. The fuse is usually located somewhere in the positive line from the battery..Could be hidden under the plastic.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The motor is full of fuel. With a rag over the spark plug hole and the spark plug cap away, crank motor till fuel stops spraying out of the plug hole. put plug back in and hold throttle wide open while cranking till it starts and cleans out.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Range Rover

ok, i checked for spark the way yall said & definitely no spark. Key was on & safety thing at brake pedal. dont make fun, but i dont know how to check "ignition coil,stator and cdi"

Old 01-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by LT80
The motor is full of fuel. With a rag over the spark plug hole and the spark plug cap away, crank motor till fuel stops spraying out of the plug hole. put plug back in and hold throttle wide open while cranking till it starts and cleans out.
when i do get spark& im ready to do this, what potion do i put the petcock on when holding wide open to start?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by blevinsbulldog
ok, i checked for spark the way yall said & definitely no spark. Key was on & safety thing at brake pedal. dont make fun, but i dont know how to check "ignition coil,stator and cdi"
This thread should get you going..

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...se-stator.html

Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
tks, but this dont make much since to me. are they even talking about a lt80?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well at least we know now you are talking about an LT80. It was anybody's guess up til now.

I don't know anything about LT80 ignition systems. I'm not going to be able to help. Hopefully someone with more experience will step in...

Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I didnt know you were talking about a LT80.. I added LT80 to the title to draw you some more help..

Quick Reply: LT80 No spark/no nothing