Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

97 Badger carb issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 97 Badger carb issues?

Just bought a 97 Badger for the kids, starts great but a little cold natured. After about 5 minutes of ride time after choke is off the bike dies out and does not want to start back up again, but If I toggle the choke a few times to get it to start and run, it will eventually take off again but then repeats the same issue within a minute or two and I have to toggle the choke again just to get it to start, and seems like I have to find a sweet spot to keep it running. The carb was just cleaned by the guy I bought it from (had 10 bikes in his garage I am assuming he knew what he was doing). Could this be an electrical issue or do I need to focus on the carb or gas? I don't really suspect the valves cause it starts real easy when cold but I'll take any suggestions.
Help! My kids want to ride!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 22outlaw
The carb was just cleaned by the guy I bought it from (had 10 bikes in his garage I am assuming he knew what he was doing).
Ive got 12 bikes, 6 atvs, 2 go karts and a lawn mower in my garage......and I dont have a !&@$% clue what Im doing so thats not safe bet.

My money is on carb......clean and verify your self.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Point taken

Funny I read your reply after I went ahead and cleaned the carb yesterday. Apparently my idea of cleaning a carb differs completely from the guy that I bought it from. This carb had never been off this bike and had obviously been sitting for some time. I attached a picture for kicks of what a nasty sludged up carb bowl looks like. I bet I've cleaned dozens of carburetors over the years and I have only seen a couple that looked this bad. The funny thing is that the bike would start and even idle just fine but the pilot jet was plugged when I removed it, must have been intermittent. It was only when I was on the gas and riding that it bogged out, main jet wasn't plugged at all though. I'm guessing that the crud in the bowl was floating around and causing plugging at increased throttle. Any input from anyone?
Now the bike runs very well. I still am going to replace all the jets and seals on the carb and add a fuel filter, but for now it runs ok, kids are happy.
Good call on your part Aaron, stupid on my part for assuming that everyone with bikes know how to work on them though! Thanks for responding.

1987 LT230S
2004 CRF50F
2004 CRF230F
Carter Mini Talon
Kinroad 250 Buggy
1997 Yamaha Badger 80

Attached Thumbnails 97 Badger carb issues?-3-10-7-3.jpg