Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help with wire on starter on 70cc quad

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with wire on starter on 70cc quad

I have 70cc mini quad for my son and in order to get it to start I have to push the connector on the wire into the back of the starting motor to get it to start. If I don't push on this connector it will only make a clicking noise, like a solenoid clicking. The quad says Halle 70 on it but it looks identical to the Gio mini hummer/beast.

Is this an easy fix or is a new wire/connector needed?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well you've certainly localized the problem...

Starters draw a lot of current, so they require heavy gauge wire and clean pristine connections all the way from the battery (+) terminal back to the battery (-) terminal. Any flakey connection will get blasted open by by the large starting current and then the starter motor stops. It looks to me like you are wiggling a wire and re-established that connection, only to have it blasted open again when the connection frazzles.

Inspect that connection (where you wiggle the wire) closely. Look for clean tight crimp connections on the wire feeding the starter. Look for evidence of heat or arcing. If you find this then this is probably an easy fix. Just replace the terminal lug, or just solder it up.

The starter terminal post also continues on inside the starter. A lot of times the feed through input post gets loose and the connection through this post becomes flakey inside. You will have to remove and disassemlbe the starter to find this problem. This is not as easy but still worth a try before just buying a new starter. A warning though: When to take the starter apart the brushes spring out. If your starter is like mine you may have to dream up a device to hold the brushes out while you slip the commutator back in way down in there. I used a narrow strip of steel bent into a "C" with a string to yank it out when the brushes were partially engaged with the commutator.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info!

It looks to me like the post that goes into the starter is the problem. There is a little bit of travel when I push in on the post and then it starts. I'll check and see tonight but a new starter may be in order.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just some info on a quick fix I did for this problem. It was the post that goes into the starter. I put a heavy tie wrap around the connector that goes around the post and wrapped it around the starter. Works like a charm!! I am not sure if it will melt off under the heat but if it does an aluminum hose clamp will do the same job. I know a proper fix would be to take the starter off but if this holds than it saved me a lot of time. Going to buy a better quality quad soon for my little guy but this will do for now.