Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Gio 110cc Mini Hummer Problems on arrival & Solutions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Gio 110cc Mini Hummer Problems on arrival & Solutions.

Thought I would post my experiences of this neat little bike.
Ordered it on Tuesday, 1st box with the main assy arrived thursday, second box with wheels, seat and hardware arrived Friday.
Began putting it together. First problem was front steel carrying frame was out of alignment - subtle blows with rubber mallet sorted that one out.
Second problem - no fuel from tank. Solution - removed 16 bolts and raised cowling. removed two bolts that hold fuel tank in place and tested tank. the outlet valve was totally blocked, nothing was getting out of this baby. Drilled a hole through the outlet valve and ensured crap was out of tank.
Refitted everything and tried to start it.
Third problem - no spark. Solution - charged battery. Posted on this forum and very shortly thereafter received a very helpful post from LynnEdwards.
Followed his advice and confirmed voltages were as they should be.
Finally traced the lack of spark to the coil. The yellow wire was pinched and shorting out to earth. and where the coil was connected to the green wire, it had been painted over prior to the cable being attached, so in effect it was insulated from the coil.
Sandpapered the paint off, reattached the cables, checked I had a good spark, zip tied every loose cable into place and tried to start the bike.
A little adjustment of the carb - half a turn clockwise on the idling screw and a half turn anti-clockwise on the fuel screw and it came to life like it should.

Adjusted the governor screw (my five year old son would be trying his hardest to see how fast this thing can go.) Took it out for a spin and it performed flawlessly.
Back into the shop, tightened up every nut and bolt I could see. Changed the oil for 15w40, and my son hasn't been off it since.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for their various posts - LynnEdwards you are a superstar.

Andy

Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Andy,

I'm glad your quad is running, and I'm glad to have helped. But the truth is you solved this on your own. Congrat's on figuring this one out.

Lynn

Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe, but without your advice re the CDi I would probably still be chasing my tail.

Some of your other posts kept me on the right trail regarding weak spark etc.
Might have been easier to pay GIO $199 for assembly and testing, but where's the fun in that :-)

Thinking about taking pics of the parts shown in the manual and posting them on here as the ones in the manual are pretty much useless.
If anyone is interested in this then let me know and I will get it done.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by spectre180
..Thinking about taking pics of the parts shown in the manual and posting them on here as the ones in the manual are pretty much useless.
If anyone is interested in this then let me know and I will get it done.
I think it would be useful. Eric366 could sure use some pics of the solenoid and associated wiring. See the following link and scroll to the end...

http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids...g-diagram.html

Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No Power 110cc mini hummer

HELP!!!!!
i bought 2 mini hummers and one works great. the 2nd i don't seem to have any power. the battery has a full charge and the fuse appears to be ok. but i get absolutely no power to light and the bike wont start. we bought this to give to the kids on easter i need to rectify as soon as possible. can anyone help

Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't take any of these statements out of context. i'm not questioning your intelligence. just trying to get more info and cover a bunch of bases for you to check.
define "don't start":
cranks but doesn't fire,
doesn't crank/turn the engine over.
if it turns over, check for spark.
if you got spark, do you have fuel? in tank and in carb? after cranking, pull spark plug, is it wet with gasoline? fuel in tank, fuel tank vented to prevent a vacuum from being pulled on it?

won't crank with start switch: turn key on, jump solenoid posts with a screwdriver and see if it turns over, if it does, then your start switch is out. make sure the key is on.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

NO Offence taken,
when i turn the key switch on there is no power. lights wont turn on, go to start bike and nothing happens. i have tested the battery and it has a good charge and the fuse is fine. i am biggining to think it is the key switch that is not working properly.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Electrical Expert

You may be on the right track, though I would measure first before buying a new ignition switch. Take a meter and measure the DC voltage on each of the wires at the ignition switch to ground with the engine off. If you have to, use a sewing pin to poke through the insulation on each wire into the copper wire core to get connection if you can't get at the connectors in the connector.

I'm assuming you have 4 wires on the ignition switch which is the most common...

One wire should have 12 volts all the time.
One wire should have 12 volts only when the ignition switch is on.

The other two wires are ground and the kill switch which can be ignored for "engine doesn't crank" problems. If the engine cranks but doesn't start then this is a different story...

Question:

On your other quad (the one that runs which I assume is identical), when you turn on the ignition, leave the engine stopped, then turn on the headlights, do the headlights light up? If they do, then that says your headlights are DC powered and that further adds to the evidence that you ignition switch is bad. If the headlights don't come on, but they do when the engine is started, says your headlights are AC powered. Then we don't know for sure if your ignition switch is bad (but jaster94's jumping the solenoid idea would solve that mystery).

Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lynn,
i just marvel at your electrical genius you exhibit through your statements. i follow your remarks and learn a lot. heck, i never put the 2 together about the ac/dc on the headlights......WOW, i'm learning a lot from you. we are so blessed to read and learn from your plethora of knowledge. sometimes i find myself rushing through to the problems that are chronic and never really think about the details such as the above listed one. i'll slow down and take it all in now.
thank you very much for sharing...........

Old 07-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Question mini hummer charging issue

I have a couple of mini hummers, brand new the batteries wouldnt charge, I've replaced the batteries and they still dont charge, when I put the multi meter on with the bikes running, there is so much interference that the numbers on the meter are jumping all over the place, I took the rectifier and the cdi from another bike that operates fine (125 Rebel) and it still sent the meter haywire...is it the stator, or do these bikes just not recharge the battery properly?

Quick Reply: Gio 110cc Mini Hummer Problems on arrival & Solutions.