Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

05 Baja 90 atv no spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Your readings are very strange. One thing for sure - your ground wire on the CDI should be ground, not 50-60 ohms.

So first thing is to ground the CDI ground wire with a jumper plug. I'd use a alligator jumper clip from a clean frame ground to the CDI pin. If neccesary use a sewing pin to probe into the wire through the insulation at the CDI wiring harness. Then make sure you always have zero ohms from the CDI ground th engine ground. Repeat the timing trigger pin tests (ohms to ground) with the kill switch in "run" position and the "kill" position. Do you measure any changes?

Hi Lynn, OK here is what I got.
jumpered cdi ground to the frame with Kill ON 66.8 With Kill OFF 66.8

Battery ground to ground at voltage reg. (first attachment point) is reading 30 ohms.

Battery ground to frame is reading 30 ohms.

With a jumper from battery ground to frame. The resistance is now 0 showing a good ground. Rechecking the cdi to ground with the kill switch ON is showing 30 Ohms and with the kill switch OFF it is showing 30 ohms.

The trigger to ground is now showing 41.9 oms and 132 oms with the kill switch in different positions.

Note in jiggling the ground wire I can get the omhs to go from 30 to about 28.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much. LOL Thanks John. Im going to start unwrapping the black tape of the ground wire and start tracing it.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Lynn I did some more checking and this might make things more clear.

I took the pos. lead off the battery.

Ground to battery ground 0.3 ohms OK

chassis to cdi groundsd 0.3ohms with the kill switch in the on and off position.

Trigger wire to ground. with switch off is 0.4 ohms

Trigger wire to ground. with switch ON is 129 ohms

Now where do I go from here???????

Thanks John

Old 08-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

John,

When I look at you last post, and compare it to the previous post I see that they don't match each other at all. I more believe the latest post because it is believable. I can't make sense out of the previous post to your last post.

So on your last post were these tests done with the ground bypass wire? Do the results change when you remove the ground bypass wire?

Do any of your measurements change if you put back the battery plus wire?

I'm trying to separate the good measurements from the bad measurements.

Lynn.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Lynn, in speaking to a friend of mine he told me that in order to measure resistance, there should be no power to the system. So the easiest thing to do was to pull the pos. battery cable off. (I know it did not dawn on me to turn the key off, du) lol

My last measurements are with the pos battery cable taken off.

No I did not jumper the cdi this time. You said that it should not have any resistance, so when I checked and it was reading 0.3 I figured it was good and I did not need to check it with a ground jumper.

I can go back and put things back to normal and take readings with the key OFF. Would that help? thanks John

Old 08-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Those were not done with a ground bypass wire, just the wiring on the bike as is with the pos cable pulled off the battery.

I will hook the battery back up and take readings again with the key in the off position on my lunch hour.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, you need to have power turned off to measure ohms on wires that have power on them, but you were measuring ground wire resistances that are high. Whether or not battery power is applied, ground should be ground, and a meter will measure zero ohms between grounds that are hooked together. I suspect you are doing something drastically wrong, but I haven't been able to figure out what yet.

Or you really do have an open ground wire. If you have a ground wire that is reading more than a fraction of an ohm then this is a problem. For example you reported 30 ohms from the battery ground to frame ground. This is flat wrong. But at this point I'm having trouble figuring out whether you are measuring it wrong, or if there really is a bad connection from battery ground to frame.

Originally Posted by jedijingle
Hi Lynn, in speaking to a friend of mine he told me that in order to measure resistance, there should be no power to the system. So the easiest thing to do was to pull the pos. battery cable off. (I know it did not dawn on me to turn the key off, du) lol

My last measurements are with the pos battery cable taken off.

No I did not jumper the cdi this time. You said that it should not have any resistance, so when I checked and it was reading 0.3 I figured it was good and I did not need to check it with a ground jumper.

I can go back and put things back to normal and take readings with the key OFF. Would that help? thanks John

Old 09-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

HI Lynn I agree that is just completely wrong I do know that much. Well the new up date is I got it going. I cant tell you what I did, other than repeated disconecting of plugs and fiddling with ground wire screws. Here is what happened. One day after working great with slight short somewhere, it quit starting and running. So I ordered a new coil, cdi and saftey switch.

Saftey switch brought it back to life, but it would not fire. New coil on and new cdi on and Still no fire.

Lots of messing with connectors and checking ohms and ground wires with old cdi and still not working.

Put new cdi back on and presto ground to spark plug and im getting spark.

Put it all back together and it fired right up as though it never had a problem.

CRAZY

Many many thanks to you Lynn for all your help
Sincerely John Ingle