Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

87 LT80 CDI Box?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 LT80 CDI Box?

I just purchased a 87 lt80 for my daughter for X-mas, It is in great shape for the year cosmetically and it also has 120psi compression.

The electric start doesn't work however, i removed the plastic and inspected the wiring and the ground wire that is bolted to the rectifier had melted and the starter relay plug had melted pretty bad.

I repaired the harness temporarily until the one i bought gets here, when i hit the start button the starter relay clicks, but that is all.

I also have found no cdi box on this machine, is it hidden or am i missing pieces.
I am assuming it is an 87 the tag on the frame says feb 87.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The CDI/coil is 1 unit on the older LT80's.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if both the ground wire and relay were melted, sounds like the starter dead shorted, could have bad windings or brushes, best bet would be to remove it, clean it out inspect for burnt internals, and test it with a battery on the bench to see if it actually works. If not, you should be able to get a good new or used one off eBay.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information on the cdi box and starter.

When i looked at the quad i was shown it had 120 psi compression and assured that it needed a carb cleaning.

After i bought the quad i cleaned the carb and never got it to refire. I checked the compression at my garage and it had 70 psi...... Put a couple squirts of oil in the spark plug hole and it magically had 120 psi.
It fired right up when i installed the plug untill it burnt up the oil that was sealing the rings...... yeah i got used, live and learn i guess.

But at least it should be under $200 for a new piston and bore.

Is there anything else i should go ahead and look into checking or replacing while im that deep into the engine since this machine is 25 years old?

Old 12-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many years ago, I also picked up a well used 87 LT80 for my son,it started a bit hard, but ran ok once running, but didnt move real well until you got it rolling. Like you, I ended up putting a new piston and rings in, the sluggish part remained, found out from years of neglect, the clutches front and rear were in need of serious cleaning and a few parts, the back sheaves were so gunked up, it barely opened up, so in never "down shifted" for a good take off, after replacing flat rollers in front, and cleaning a lubing internal sliding surfaces, I focused on the back, it was packed full of old belt dust and dirt, keeping the sheaves from opening, plus rust from years of no maintenence. I got it cleaned and polished up, and with the new motor, the first time I revved it up and took off, it almost lifted the front tires ! A 2 stroke needs a good working clutch to get the power to the ground, so I would take that apart and service it while you are waiting for engine parts/work.Other than that, solid little quads, my son rode it from age 5 to 9, and loved every minute of it.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree, service the clutchs.
FYI: a bore/piston/pin/pin brg/gaskets is about $130.
On ebay there was a guy in Canada selling new cylinders and piston for like $180.