Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton 90cc 2stroke Running rich/ out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton 90cc 2stroke Running rich/ out of gas

Hello,

Im going crazy trying to get this running, its a Eton thunder, i ride it for min or so and it boggs down like out of gas. If i let off throttle is goes again. seems like its using a lot of gas, we are premixing.

heres what i have done

New head an Piston
new plug bpr7hs
new carb main jet is 58
cleaned air filter (stock)
sprayed w40 around head and intake rpms to do not rise

any suggestions
thanks
eddie

Old 05-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So are you really running out of gas? Pull off the fuel inlet hose to the carburetor and make sure it can supply a steady fast stream of fuel into a container. If it only dribbles then that could explain your problem at high speed. With a starved fuel supply line you can run at high speed for a minute or so off the float bowl contents in the carburetor. Then you bog down. At idle the float bowl fills up again and the cycle repeats...

I'm thinking plugged fuel filter, bad petcock valve, plugged tank vent hole, etc.

BTW, I know next to nothing about 2 strokes so take whatever I say with suspicion.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums hope2bag.
I think your spot on Lynn.
58 main jet eh...sure seems small but did you do a full clean on the carb or just screw a jet in it.
What size was the jet that came out of it?

Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! i cant remember what size jet was suppost to be in the carb. i have about 3 carbs that came with the atv, all have differnt jets the others are much bigger sizes like 78/85 i belive. i held them up and this one was the smallest. The CArb is very very clean, i dipped in in gallon of carb dip (got at pepboys) and used air to clean out. just seems like it using alot of gas, thats why i went with smaller jet, and dropped needle down to lowest setting, i havent check the fuel flow yet thats tommorrow plan.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

thats a pretty small jet to be ussing a lot of fuel im wondering if you have a small crack in your fuel line thats causing it to leek gas and your losing more gas then the carb is taking in

Old 05-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

No leaks that i have seen, may be is just me thinking im using a lot of gas, anyone know what the stock jet size is for this quad

Old 05-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update: i went through fuel switch and lines drained tank refilled with 32:1 oil injection tank has been removed. Now i hop on quad and ride for maybe 1-2 mins and it falls on its face and then shuts off and take about 2-3 mins before it fires back up and does the same thing. As soon as its dies i crank and crank it has spark but will not fire.

Trending Topics

Old 05-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

it sounds like a little more then a fuel issue do you have a fuel filter on it and if so have you replace it it sounds a little like somthing is pluged and it running off whats in the bowl then when it dies the 2 to 3 min it takes for it to start back up the bowl is refilling so somthing is almost pluged closed

Old 05-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

Next time it starts to cut out, try applying the choke to keep it running. You may actually be experiencing a lean condition due to a pressure loss (crank seals, head gasket, crack in jug, etc), this could potentially create an issue with drawing the fuel out of the bowl. Also, it may be worth a look at the reeds to see what kind of condition they are in.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, its a new jug and piston and all new head gasket, Crank Seals, does any one have a how to or replacing them, do i have to split the case? and where is the best place to purchase them? thanks

Quick Reply: Eton 90cc 2stroke Running rich/ out of gas