Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

another problem w kids atv

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another problem w kids atv

after getting the magneto flywheel off, i am now ready to put the new one on, and the key is stuck in the shaft, its so tight in the shaft i cant budge it, this has 2 come out right, or else how else do you get the new one on, since it tapers from the inside then rises on the outside to hold the flywheel on, it doesnt make any sense to me, theres little to no room to even work in trying to get it out, any suggestions would be appreciated it is a bms 125 cc engine on a chinese atv. thanks jon

Old 06-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The new flywheel has a slot for the key,,right?
You need to have a key to have it in one fixxed spot.
They don't just stick on any which way.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default the flywheel key..

when i took the old flywheel off the key didnot come out with it, it remained in the shaft, the new flywheel did not come with a key, therefore i was trying to put the new flywheel on with the old key still positioned in the shaft, which obviously you cannot do, thats why i had and most people need to do, use a flywheel puller to pull the thing off, because the key angles,or arcs itself so that it is almost impossible for it to come flying off, therefore when i try to put the new flywheel back on with the key in position on the crankshaft, it like trying to do something backwards, and without something to exert enuff pressure in the opposite way, of the flywheel puller, how is one to get the thing back on, im completely confused, i dont know if this is helping you, i dont know how else to explain it..was the key supposed to come off with the flywheel, or was the new flywheel supposed to have come with a key? i realize it has to go in a very certain way. thanks jon

Old 06-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The key stays on the shaft. You do not install with the key inside the flywheel (it's impossible as the key is moon shaped). You align the slot in the flywheel to the key and slide the flywheel on. Then put the nut on and tighten.
You do not apply pressure to make it stick on (like your thinking) with the exception of the nut that holds it on. Believe me, it'll stick tight. Even with sticking it on hand tight, you would need the puller to get it off.
No flywheels don't come with a new key.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default thankyou all.......

ya there must be something wrong with the key, either it has burrs on it,or it is bent slightly out of place, cause everyones saying it should just slide on, and it doesnt. it goes about halfway then stops and wont go all the way on. im just going to order a new one, and try replacing the old one with it. thankx to everyone for their help and suggestions. you all dont know how much it means and helps to someone who is a complete novice in all this. its really appreciated.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The key won't bend but you can take a file and clean it up if need be.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What if you just take the key off? Then see if the flywheel goes all the way on...

But this is just a quick test to see if the key (or key way) is the hangup. You must of course have the key in place when the quad is finally put back together .