Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton Viper 90 - No Power To Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton Viper 90 - No Power To Ignition

I have replaced what i thought was a flat battery & found that i have no power to the ignition when i turn the key. The Quad is stored in a garage but very rarely used. The battery is connected to a trickle charger and shows full charge. I have removed the plastics but see no obvious bad wireing connections or damage to wireing. The Quad has not been used since it was last started, so i have discounted damage anyway.
The Quad is a 2003 (no reverse) model, light use and in near showroom condition. Could someone please point out the obvious to me & show me the way. lol.
I have checked & swapped the 7a fuse to the battery. No lights illuminate, no ignition, Nothing. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Use a meter to measure the wiring to your ignition switch. One of the four wires should have 12 volts on it all the time with respect to ground (probably a red wire, or maybe a red-black wire). Another wire should be at 12 volts only when the ignition switch is on (probably a brown wire). The other two wires have nothing to do with 12 volt power so we can ignore them for now.

The reason to start here is that these ignition switches fail a lot. Or at least the results of this test will point the way forward.

Here is another similar thread:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids...-gremlins.html

Eton wiring diagrams are available here:

Wiring Diagrams

Manuals are available for download (free) at that site as well.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice, i'll get into the garage after work tomorrow. I,ll get back.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi LynnEdwards,
the battery has a 13.39v charge. This level is maintained at the permenent live (red) at the ignition & also at the switch wire (brown) when switched on. I also checked the continuity of all 4 wires from the ignition to and out of connector block from the ignition switch. I also tried to hotwire/crosswire perminent live & switch live at the connector block having removed the ignition switch. There was nothing when i tried to start the quad. Perhaps i shouldn't have tried this but feel that nothing ventured nothing gained. PLEASE HELP

Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just re-checked all the above and found i have no live feed to the brown live switch wire when switched on.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Electrical Expert

Your last two posts are in direct contradiction. First you have 12 volts on the brown wire (ignition on), and then you don't. Since you were shorting wires together I would check the fuse and make sure you didn't inadvertently pop it. After that recheck the brown wire voltage. Do you have 12 volts or not when the ignition switch is on? Make sure you are making good connections with the meter probes to the brown wire and to the ground side too. Wiggle the ignition switch when you are measuring this. Wiggling the switch should not affect the measurements.

Another thing to try (to gather some more data to chew on): Follow the fat heavy gauge wire from the battery positive post to the starter solenoid screw terminal. Find the other screw terminal that is wire down to the starter motor.

Set your parking brake. Make sure you are in neutral. You are about to bypass safety interlocks that keep the quad from starting up in gear and unrestrained.

Turn on the ignition and use a screwdriver shank to short the two screw posts on the starter solenoid together. Don't mind a few sparks. Does the starter turn? Does the quad start up?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

LynnEdwards,
thank you very much for the advice, the quad is sorted.
I checked & re-checked the wireing from the battery to the ignition switch and discovered there was no live feed to the brown when the ignition was switched on. I felt possitive i had a live feed when i first checked but was wrong.
I removed and replaced the ignition switch.(stockists only 13 miles away) and the quad fired up first time. I wouldn,t have had the confidence to attempt to sort this problem without guidence. As simple as the problem was i,m useless with electrical installations.
Much appreciated.
Ady.

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by ADY954
LynnEdwards,
thank you very much for the advice, the quad is sorted.
I checked & re-checked the wireing from the battery to the ignition switch and discovered there was no live feed to the brown when the ignition was switched on. I felt possitive i had a live feed when i first checked but was wrong....
Ah, but this is the most important lesson of all . A simple measurement error leads to wrong conclusions, frustration, and often complete capitulation. Remeasuring, and remeasuring again is the secret, until you get repeatable stable results. It is not just novices that have to do this - but everybody - no matter how seasoned. I'm sure that this is the main reason that people find electrical stuff challenging. There is so much that can go wrong. You don't have a good ground, or you think you are this scale but you're really on that scale, or you're measuring the wrong pin, etc.

Originally Posted by ADY954
...I removed and replaced the ignition switch.(stockists only 13 miles away) and the quad fired up first time. I wouldn't have had the confidence to attempt to sort this problem without guidence. As simple as the problem was i,m useless with electrical installations.
Much appreciated.
Ady.
I'm glad your quad is sorted out. But it seems your not so worthless with electrical stuff after all. You persisted, and worked it out . Congratulations!