Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Adult riding a 90cc atv

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adult riding a 90cc atv

New guy here!

I rode a quad for the first time a few months ago. It was a 90cc Honda TRX rental. I thought it was fantastic and had a lot of fun. It had limited power up the hills and limited suspension, but there was a big grin on my face the whole time.

I have minimal time to ride a quad, but even if I could get out a couple times a year I think I'd enjoy it. I know 90cc quads are primarily designed for kids. Any issues with a smaller adult riding one? I weigh 140 lbs.

I'm looking at a 2008 Suzuki Quadsport 90 later this week. Looks like it is in good shape and I'd have a lot of fun for a thousand bucks. Thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
Joe the old guy (05-10-2020)
Old 06-11-2012, 05:55 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my chainn saw has the same size motor- do yourself a favor and buy something geard for an adult- even if it's a small 250- if you were "grinning" just from riding a kids 90cc, then you'll be thrilled riding an atv built for someone over the age of 11.
I can't imagine any adult actually looking forward to riding a 90 cc atv for any period of time. I bought my 2001 honda 400ex for $1200

Old 06-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've built many motors for adult "pit rides".
Nothing wrong with you riding one.
I was cruising around yesterday on a 80 and I'm #240.
At 140 you should be able to have a ball.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

So we've got one "thumb down" and one "thumb up." Anyone wanna be the tie breaker?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draco_M
So we've got one "thumb down" and one "thumb up." Anyone wanna be the tie breaker?

it really depends on what you're looking to do for riding.

my 8 yo had a 110 and was totally bored with it. I rode it a couple of times with my knees touching my chin- it hardly had enough power to get through a trail.
I can't imagine a 240 lb guy on an 80cc- I'm thinking "lawnmower"

if you're just riding around a flat grassy yard and don't mind rock hard shocks & seat and being all cramped up- then by all means- go with the 90. If you want to be comfortable and spend a little time on the trails then buy something made for an adult.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you've got a grand to spend on a quad.

So you've got this... lack or power, a 6 year olds toy

$1000

Then you can find this.. for about $1000...

Is there really a comparison?

But it comes down to your opinion..... Would you rather buy an adult quad, or look like this

Old 06-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good point, tactical.

I guess part of me is leaning toward the 90cc because it would allow younger riders to try it out if they are interested. And my daughter could ride it too when she gets older.

I'll do some more thinking...

Old 06-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd like to add,
The machine your looking at (new 4 stroke model), IMO, would be a giant disappointment. They are slow and gutless.
The TRX you rode is a mighty fun machine not to mention the most bullet proof mini made.
If you don't want a trx, you need to find a kasea/eton/drr/apex/ dare I say a LT80.
ie: a 90cc 2 stroke motor.
FYI: other than high dollar DRR/apex, no mini has even close to a good suspension.

HEY beerneck and redgut... Leave him alone. A redneck and a marine should understand about a unwanted opinion. Hatfield and the McCoys's had there's. Now Iran has a opinion...

"I have minimal time to ride a quad, but even if I could get out a couple times a year I think I'd enjoy it. I know 90cc quads are primarily designed for kids. Any issues with a smaller adult riding one? I weigh 140 lbs."
That was what he wanted an opinion on. :P
I mean, I'd buy a big quad but it sounds like he's got a game plan and not a bad one.

I hope ya'll see the humor intended.
You can poke back now. <EG>

Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks LT80. Wouldn't the quadsport 90 be very (very!) similar to the TRX? Both are 90cc air-cooled four stroke engines.

Anyway, I did some more thinking and looking around. Seems like I could get a Polaris Phoenix 200 in good shape for $1,500 or so. That might be a better ride for me?

I just need something that depreciates rapidly because I want to spend no more than $1,500 and I want something less that six years old and in good shape.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT80
I'd like to add,
The machine your looking at (new 4 stroke model), IMO, would be a giant disappointment. They are slow and gutless.
The TRX you rode is a mighty fun machine not to mention the most bullet proof mini made.
If you don't want a trx, you need to find a kasea/eton/drr/apex/ dare I say a LT80.
ie: a 90cc 2 stroke motor.
FYI: other than high dollar DRR/apex, no mini has even close to a good suspension.

HEY beerneck and redgut... Leave him alone. A redneck and a marine should understand about a unwanted opinion. Hatfield and the McCoys's had there's. Now Iran has a opinion...

"I have minimal time to ride a quad, but even if I could get out a couple times a year I think I'd enjoy it. I know 90cc quads are primarily designed for kids. Any issues with a smaller adult riding one? I weigh 140 lbs."
That was what he wanted an opinion on. :P
I mean, I'd buy a big quad but it sounds like he's got a game plan and not a bad one.

I hope ya'll see the humor intended.
You can poke back now. <EG>

Name:  000003.jpg
Views: 11281
Size:  188.1 KB

Theres nothing wrong with having a small child sized quad that only goes.. what... 30 mph?

But i do think a 1999 honda 400ex will outlast a 2012 what-ever-it-is

Of course theres thr ridicule you get from owning a small quad, but the real fear is the other quads that hit you mistaking you for a bump.

I could see maybe a go-kart would be a bit better.. Haul ya kid and be protected while not so funny looking

Quick Reply: Adult riding a 90cc atv