Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Suzuki. Front clutch wearing groove in belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Suzuki. Front clutch wearing groove in belt

So I'm going through a quad u bought for my son. I replaced the front rollers and noticed a groove worn in the belt which is from the washer between the front clutch sheaves. Is this normal? I'm thinking the washer is too big and that someone already messed with the clutch prior to me owning it.

Any help is appreciated. LT80 Suzuki. Front clutch wearing groove in belt-image.jpg

Old 10-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

More pics.

Attached Thumbnails LT80 Suzuki. Front clutch wearing groove in belt-image.jpg  
Old 10-17-2015, 07:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've not seen that before.
I'm guessing that the front clutch was packed with old hardened grease.
Correct?

Old 10-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you can see where the belt has been riding on that washer. Looks like someone drilled it out to make it fit. Does not look like its centered.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is the washer supposed to be larger than the center bearing the inside sheave rides on? There wasn't much grease in the clutch where the rollers were. It appears to me the washer is too big in diameter and i'm trying to determine if who ever monkeyed with the clutch before me just grabbed a washer and made it work. Isn't there supposed to be a washer between the sheaves?

here's some more pics. I didn't push the washer all the way in hoping it would make it easier to see.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

There wasn't too much grease in the front clutch with the rollers. I bought new rollers and installed only 4 of them and was putting everything back together when i noticed the groove in the belt. There is a washer that is installed between the two front sheaves. I believe that washer is too big and that who ever monkeyed around with it before just put whatever in there they wanted. The inside bearing or collar the inside sheave goes over is only 1" in diameter and this washer is 1.25" in diameter. Shouldn't they be the same size?

I also wanted to thank you LT80 for all of your input on different sites. If it wasn't for your I wouldn't have been able to cut down the rear shoes and make the proper modifications to the clutch.

Also one last thing since I have your attention. On the rear clutch should I buy new friction plates seeing I have it off? They seem ok and aren't cracked or damaged.

Attached Thumbnails LT80 Suzuki. Front clutch wearing groove in belt-fullsizerender-2.jpg   LT80 Suzuki. Front clutch wearing groove in belt-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 10-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Thank you.
Zrock is correct. The washer looks wore/messed with.
I went to the garage to make sure and the washer should not go over the cranshaft. It looks like yours may go over. Either way it isn't right.
FYI: a good washer isn't a tight fit. So don't get another and worry about it when you see it isn't tight. It'll be fine once the nut is tightened.
You can get another washer or get the long spacer (87 models) Part # 09180-16043

Well...After all that...I just seen the new pics....LOL.
It looks like the washer may be OK.
I'll go measure the washer.

The rear pads seem to last forever. I'm sure yours are fine.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I measured the spacer too. 1.275 long.
Washer: the hole is .578 Outside: 1.243
My $15 calipers are 40 degrees...I may be off a thousandth or 2.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

It just doesn't seem right that the washer would cut a groove in my belt but it does because the outside sheave just goes up against the spacer and you have that inside lip that the belt is rubbing on.

I just ordered a new washer from the dealership it was only $3 so i'll find out if that's the problem. If not I think I found the part number to the longer washer (0918016043 )
found this microfiche Suzuki Lt80 1990 (l) Transmission (1) - schematic partsfiche

Old 10-17-2015, 03:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Looking at the washer, you can see how loose it is by the mark where the spacer was.
It appears the washer is fine and the only reason I can think of for wearing the belt would be the washer not centered.
I've never concerned myself with centering the washers even on customers machines and haven't had any problems.
All I can say is put it together correct and it should be fine.
Hope some of all that helps.

Quick Reply: LT80 Suzuki. Front clutch wearing groove in belt