Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 that needs a lot of work....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 that needs a lot of work....

Hi everyone,
I just picked up a 1992 (built in 1991) " LT80 for my 6 and 8 year old grandsons, it is going to need a lot of work.....
Last time it ran was about 4/5 years ago. The previous owner did a top end that consisted of a cylinder bore, oversize piston and new top end gaskets. Ran it one time and didn't realize the oil injection pump was not working. Said it ran great until it scored the cylinder...
"Lucky" for me his brother took it apart and lost the jug, piston, head and a I not sure what else at this point....
It was stored inside until this summer and found a spot outside. Some water found it's way into the lower end since the top end is missing. I tilted it over and drained out the water.
The connecting rod is still on the crank and doesn't look bad, it rotates easy and doesn't appear to have any issues on the lower half that I can see at this time.
I know I am going to need to split the cases to see what's inside and from what I have been reading the clutches will be a priority...

What shop manual should I purchase, I am thinking about going with a on line version???

Good places to purchase the missing items???? Found some knock off parts pretty cheap E-Bay???

I plan on getting it running well for spring and then maybe next winter we will make her look pretty....

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions!!!

Take care...

Old 12-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Any thoughts guys????
Is there a better site to get more info, better spot to post the questions???? This is the first quad I have ever owned and am hopping to gain the insight from those with experience before going thru the trial and error stage on my own!!!
Thanks in advance!!!

Old 12-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hang loose... There's couple guys on the forum that know these little ones inside and out.May be later on tonight or tomorrow,but they'll reply.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I would go for the cheap eBay parts for this one, and hope that the water hasn't done too much damage to crank & bearings. I haven't got the LT50 manual, but the official Suzuki one for the LT80 is poor. If the engine is toast, breakers sell them for very little, a pull start costs more than a "was running" engine, from eBay breakers.

A local farmer had a flood about 18 months ago, and sent his two Hondas to us for checking, which were OK as the water hadn't got high enough to cover the air intake, but he never got round to sending us his Linmax LT50. In Spring his eldest son asked if I could get the LT50 going. I pulled the plug and tested for a spark, yes there was one but water shot out of the plug hole, oh dear. I turned the engine over several times to get the water out, poured oil down the plug hole, re fitted the plug, cleaned out the carb and it ran. The kids have worn the chain out since then, but the engine still runs fine.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Okey dokey, sorry I missed this.
Manual: I got mine off of ebay for 10 bucks. I don't see them there often. I worked on them 15 years before I got mine. (meaning you can work thru this w/o one).
The cheapo LT80 cylinders on ebay can be used for stock applications.
I use Suzuki parts. Unless they are Suzuki, there isn't much on ebay.
There is a good chance the crank is still ok. Wiggle the rod sideways. It'll move a lil. If it moves a lot, there will be up and down play. Check this carefully.
You may want to consider sending it to me if you are going to split the cases. Getting them together with the crank still straight can be tough for some.
I also have all the parts that you are missing (used Suzuki parts). I can send it back assembled and ready to go.
Hope that helps some.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi guys, thanks for the responses, sorry mine is so late....
Been crazy busy with the holidays and end of the year!!!
LT80, I sent you a PM, it would be great to have you go thru the motor for me!!

Old 01-07-2018, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi everyone,

Had a quick question, when pulling the motor do you pull the transaxle with it? Looks like that will be the easiest way to do it....
Is there a post on pulling the motors on these machines? I have been searching, but have not had any success?

Thanks!!!

P.S. LT80, Can you PM me your phone number and I'll call you to see about sending the motor to you, thanks!!

Old 01-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I just left a message.
Yes, the complete motor/axel/pipe come out together.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Sorry, I don't want anyone to know my phone number..
(so don't look in my signature)..shhhhhhhh

Old 01-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

My bad.. Been snowed in for a few days. LOL
-8 last night

Quick Reply: LT80 that needs a lot of work....