Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton viper 90r help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton viper 90r help

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I just picked up a eton viper 90r for very cheap. The battery is good, but when you turn the key on it does absolutely nothing. I know the indicator lights have been disconnected ( not sure why) but when you hit the starter it doesn't do anything so I ordered a starter relay. I tried the kickstart and it started right up, but when I tried putting it into forward or reverse nothing happened. I also hit the kill switch and it didn't turn off. The only way it turned off was to turn the key off. I turned the key back on and it wouldn't start again. So basically no electrical worked at all. But I know there was power because I checked the battery so I'm not sure why nothing worked at all any help is appreciated... also does anyone know where I could get new indicator lights, I couldn't find any anywhere for sale.. thanks

Old 01-30-2018, 06:26 AM
Pro Rider

Start by checking all your connections and grounds. and than try crossing the posts on the solenoid and see if it turns over.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

The guy that I got it from had some kind of rigged up starter relay that when he plugged it in the starter turned over on its own. But no other electrical worked and when I kick started it none of the electrical worked either. I wasn't sure if the starter relay would prevent anything else from working. I'm waiting on the new one to come in and I'll check all of the grounds.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I go to the new starter relay and ignition in yesterday. There was absolutely no change with the new parts. I jumped the wires to the starter and it does turn over. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Also it turns over but still won't start, and there is spark from the wire. And I cleaned the carb earlier this week so I know it's not that

Old 02-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

will it run with starting fluid? have you jumped the posts on the solenoid to turn it over? If that works your solenoid is bad.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't try starter fluid, but I did jump the starter relay and it turns over. I seem to have no electrical working, no lights or starter unless I jump the relay. And the fuse from the battery is good

Old 02-02-2018, 02:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

It is not a bad solenoid. There is no power getting from the start button to the solenoid, probably no power getting to the start button. My guess is the previous owner has butchered the wiring, are there lots of loose ends and taped up connections? If so you either need a wiring diagram to take it back to standard or one of those complete "bare bones" systems that you can get for Honda clone bikes. If the loom hasn't been hacked about, you can trace why power isn't getting from battery to the thin wires on the solenoid when you press the start button. As nothing else electrical works, I would start at the fuse and work forwards to ignition switch etc.

Non of this explains why it won't start if you have a spark. Check compression, if it is down, re-set valve clearances and check again. Under about 90psi and the engine needs re-ringing or a re-bore.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the responses. There aren't a lot of butchered wires, the only cut wires are the ones to the indicator lights but other than that I can only find a few connections that are just not plugged into anything but there is nothing within reach to plug them into. I'm going to go through all of the wiring and just try to pinpoint where it's messed up. Hopefully I can find it. Also when I tried the kickstart the first day I had it, it started right up and ran for about a minute or so before I turned the key off. I just haven't gotten it started after that