LT80 Rear Clutch Shoe Spring Replacements - OEM or otherwise - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Go Back  ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community > Brand Discussions Area > Kids Quads
Reload this Page >

LT80 Rear Clutch Shoe Spring Replacements - OEM or otherwise

Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Rear Clutch Shoe Spring Replacements - OEM or otherwise

Old 12-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT80 Rear Clutch Shoe Spring Replacements - OEM or otherwise

Hello All,
I just bought two 1999 LT80s and I'm currently going through the clutches on one of them. The one I'm currently working appears to have been raced in the past, extended A-Arms, FMF pipe, 3 rollers in the front clutch pack. The PO did a mod on the rear clutch shoes, where he inserted a rod in the tail end of each shoe, and then stretched the stock springs over the rods to achieve a higher spring rate. The quad currently has a cheap-o jug and piston though, and I want to return the rear clutch closer to stock form. (I'm going to shave the weight of the shoes down.) So now to my question. The original springs are stretched beyond serviceable limits. Does anyone know where I can obtain some replacement springs? I just want to use the original mounting locations of each shoe.
Thanks

Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

That's the CT rear clutch mod. It's like cutting the shoes down. It's not working? What's it not doing.
I think I have springs here if need be.
I'm guessing a CT modified cylinder was on it at some time.. You will want more roller weight IMO. Better start with at least 4 or put all 6 back in for a stock motor. Then see if you need anything done on the rear.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

It wouldn't hardly get out of it's own way off the line, kinda of like rear brake dragging. After reading way to many of your posts the last two weeks, i knew i had better service clutches.
It currently has 3 rollers in front, I should have new ones here tomorrow (4ea).
In the rear assy, One of the little pins is gone, you can see where it kinda rolled towards the tail of the other shoe.

So you saying stretching the spring like that, has the same effect as shaving the shoes down?

Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

"So you saying stretching the spring like that, has the same effect as shaving the shoes down?" Yes. That's CT's version. It sounds like you will need to put new springs in seeins that the one pin is gone.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Should I PM you LT80? Or do you have link for them?

Old 12-03-2018, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have another clutch related question for you LT80. I noticed that in the Drive clutch assembly, that there were three washers between the spacer and the fixed drive face.
Is that another CT racing thing? Do I need to re-assemble with all three? The parts diagram only shows one.
Thanks

Old 12-04-2018, 09:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

You can use them, or not. I do that for my race motor with the exception I only use 2 washers.
PM? no please email.