Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Let's get active!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's get active!

After all the news concerning the tragedy in Georgia I think we need to make a concerted effort to get the word out on ATVing....since apparently our only organization (ATVA) doesn't want to rock many boats....

Here's the letter that I sent to my local newspaper and will send to a few more around here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATV deaths.....

How about a story on how irresponsible parenting is one of, if not the most, dangerous problems facing ATVers?

It's not that children are riding ATV's that are too big for them, it's that their parents are letting them ride them!

It's not that children are riding ATV's without proper protective equipment, it's that their parents are letting the ride without gear.

It's not that children are riding too fast or places that they shouldn't, it's that their parents are letting them.

Let's try to get the focus where is belongs----parental responsibility. I know in today's day and age personal responsibility is a "dirty word" but come on let's face reality, if children are supervised none of these tragedies could happen.

We don't need overly restrictive laws on machines, we need common sense in people!

I fully support helmet requirements and safety training but let's use our heads and not go from nothing to complete overkill.

ATVers do a lot of good things for the environment and communities but rarely are they mentioned.

And in the recent article concerning the ATV deaths in Georgia, why was there no mention of the DRUNK DRIVER that caused the crash? Once again, irresponsible behavior led to tragedy yet the ATV's are getting most of the blame!

The ATV business has been a great boon to the economy of West Virginia, let's not kill one of the few good things this state has going for it!

Old 09-25-2003, 10:27 AM
Range Rover

If thats the copy you sent, then I dont think it's going to be very effective. You should have proof read it for grammar errors before you sent it.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 89trx2fiddy
If thats the copy you sent, then I dont think it's going to be very effective. You should have proof read it for grammar errors before you sent it.
At least I am willing to try something, what have you done other than criticize grammar?

Besides, I see maybe one grammar mistake and anyone with half a brain can figure out what ATV and ATVer means!

Old 09-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Range Rover

Your missing the point. You cant be taken seriously if you cant even get the grammar correct. There going to think your an idiot and therefore not even consider what you have to say.

It's not that children are riding ATV's without proper protective equipment, it's that their parents are letting the ride without gear. (them)

It's not that children are riding too fast or places that they shouldn't, it's that their parents are letting them. (or at places)

Let's try to get the focus where is belongs----parental responsibility. I know in today's day and age personal responsibility is a "dirty word" but come on let's face reality, if children are supervised none of these tragedies could happen. (where it belongs)

The ATV business has been a great boon to the economy of West Virginia, let's not kill one of the few good things this state has going for it! (boon---what the heck is a boon, you must mean BOOM)

Old 09-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

I call those SPELLING ERRORS not grammar....thanks genius!

I will forever forward all my messages through you first so you can spell and grammar check it ok?

Old 09-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Range Rover

Again, the point is that grammar is not important when posting on these forums as long as others can understand you, but if you are trying to sound like an educated and well informed ATV enthusiast trying to state a valid point than at the very least proof read what you wrote. There going to laugh at you before they throw it in the trash.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Your missing the point. You cant be taken seriously if you cant even get the grammar correct. There going to think your an idiot and therefore not even consider what you have to say.

(boon---what the heck is a boon, you must mean BOOM)

Try picking up a dictionary junior.....it's not meant to be boom....thanks for verifying my initial thoughts of you.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Range Rover

Go back to school, your obviously very ignorant.

Old 09-25-2003, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RookWV i agree with you completely, focus the attention on the ultimate problem parents letting atvs be the babysitter!

Old 09-25-2003, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

Again, the point is that grammar is not important when posting on these forums as long as others can understand you, but if you are trying to sound like an educated and well informed ATV enthusiast trying to state a valid point than at the very least proof read what you wrote. There going to laugh at you before they throw it in the trash.
Two can play this game.....

it's they're as in, they are

So I guess we both can go back to school!

Quick Reply: Let's get active!