Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why not street legal?

Moss point is not far from Gulfport,, maybe we could meet up and ride on day. Bethel is mid way,, but not good for dragging [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I want to go ride that new place called Little Tiger soon...

Anyway,, I don't mind the insurance,, it would be awesome to be the firt guy in MS to get his ATV legal. There is soooo many areas to ride if you had a tag on the back. So many areas are "state hunting" roads that are for street legal only. Those roads over behind Dupont would be nice to ride...

I think I will make a few calls on this.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

In South Dakota, all we need is a horn, mirror, and license plate light to get motorcycle plates. The ATV is then legally a motorcycle, and you need a motorcycle endorsement on your license.

I have been riding in rural SD for almost 2 years now. It works out quite well around here, because most of the county roads are gravel. I ride on paved roads as little as possible, turning on them is a pain even when using 2 wheel drive. We also have "designated roads", which are usually paths leading to or around lakes. Public land or public access across private land. Sometimes the grass in the center is 4 feet high, you only know it is a "designated road" because the sign says so. These are really fun to ride on!

It seems very unlikely that the laws will change for the worse here, every farmer has at least on quad, and SD is a VERY rural state.

Old 09-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

ATV-ALL terrain vehicle. pavement in my mind at least classifies as a terrain.Gas prices are way out of hand and the only way to lower them is to reduce our consumption and dependance on oil.if our lawmakers had half a brain they would realize that these vehicles would use less fuel doing some daily errands like going to work,the store,running over to a friends house.ive got a pickup and cant afford to buy some tiny economy car to run around in(i also dont want a tin can car either).but i do have a couple quads that have to get better mileage than my v8.im not sold on the idea of quads being on interstate or us hiways but, city streets and county roads i see no problems with.they have to be safer than the crotch rockets that are out on the roads.i would have no intention of putting my LTs on the road but either of my polaris units would make a good errand runner.as my disgust with fuel prices rises so does my interest with trying to get my quad registered as a motorcycle.i wouldnt mind changing tires for the terrain im riding.i have to start looking into this tomorrow. PS. i forgot to mention that for many years ive been buying pump gas and paying road and hiway tax for these toys.that should give me the right to ride them on the road or in all fairness i should be able to buy gas with no hiway tax added to it.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

I live close to south dakota and they put a license plates on them and you will see them in the city of sioux falls and in rapid city and I like the point that minnrider sed about the gas tax for the roads that you cant ride on I am going to start to email people in atv groups and see what I get back. I will post any thing I find out.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.

No one has yet mentioned is possibility of local jurisdiction coming into play. You always have more impact at the local level. Several years ago, our town board voted to allow ATVs (and snowmobiles) on all town roads, no modifications required. This gives tremendous freedom of movement for ATV’ers. As more and more Wisconsin townships do this, the pressure will grow for county boards to open county highways. I wouldn’t be surprised if gasoline shortages eventually cause even federal highways to be opened to more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just move to England and ENJOY.............!!! hehe

Old 09-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

smaller and rural towns seem to be very open minded and tolerant of new types of motor vehicles.this city and county i live in is a real beeyotch.the first step to getting quads on streets in this area is to get the state to register it as a motor vehicle,which it actually is.and if the manufactures would only call them ATVs and not lable them as off road vehicles would help a bunch.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm bound and determined to get my Raptor 660 street legal here in Oklahoma. I'll have to fight the "Department of Public Safety" somehow and find a loophole in the laws, but how could they define a 4-wheeler as strictly offroad when I can modify it for flat track/pavement use? It would be stupid for them to turn away vehicle registrations, that's just more money for the state.

One small advantage we have here in Oklahoma is the fact they they abolished the vehicle inspection requirements a few years back. Good news for most people, only downside is we have people driving around with beaters and bald a$$ tires... lol

I'm going to check into this, but I recall a friend who worked at a tag agency and she told me that in order to register for an "experimental" vehicle (kit car, custom rebuild, etc.) you had to bring in every reciept for the parts that were installed/used to build the vehicle, from the ground up, and then pay to have it registered with the state and get a tag. So maybe if you could slide past the system with a "friendly" tag agent to get it registered and tagged. The state will never care what the title says, they'll never see the bike/quad anyway. If you have legit registration that will stand up in court I would think that's the goal of all this.

As far as insurance, I'm sure Geico won't touch it, but I use www.atv-line.com. I pay $400 a year for my '05 Raptor and it's all covered against collision, comprehensive (theft/loss), medical, etc.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

i must say that this hurricane we just experienced down here sucked big time. but it was kinda cool to watch. after it was all said and done, there was such a massive gas shortage it was ridiculous. so what else is there to do but ride your wheeler. i must have put 300 miles of nothing but road miles on my raptor in a week. i rode right down highway 49, down highway 53, out to my house and many other places. i must have passed hundreds of cops, and not but one even looked at me. the only time they seemed to even notice i was there was when i was out AFTER curfew. i got spotlighted by a cop coming across the county farm road/highway 53 intersection, and that's it. it was two cop cars just shooting the breeze in the gas station parking lot. so it just goes to show how much they really dont care. if ever they had the reason and time to pull me over, that was it. it just felt great. i had guys on harleys pulling up next to me at intersections asking me how fast it goes. but i rode smart the whole time. i kept the speed limit, almost never passed anyone, and used hand signals at major interstections. i figure if people see how much like a real motorcycle or vehicle quads really are, maybe something will change soon.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Another thought to pursue: Trike conversion laws and registration. Perhaps there is a custom build regulation that can be used to register.

My dirt bike that I converted in Colorado was accepted without question in Texas when I relocated. Maybe we can use that to our advantage. Register in AZ and then re-tag in Texas.

Quick Reply: why not street legal?