Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

John Kerry rides an Arctic Cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 09:07 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default John Kerry rides an Arctic Cat

KGB, That is why the majority of my votes go to Republicans, because as a whole they agree with my belief's.

BlackandRedWarrior, I started racing enduros again (dist-36 N.Cal.) about 2 1/2 years ago and they were checking for 96db at tech inspection. At first I was upset but after thinking about it, I figured it out. That is one of our biggest down fall's. All our toy's untill recently, were abnoxious. Every one bought loud after market pipes, that is all they sold. Now I think every muffler manufacturer offers a "quiet" version. Of course they were not interested in making them until the recent laws past. As for pismo, I take my family there once a year in July, the weekend after the 4th. I was amazed at what was buzzing around. Saw a few straight piped banshee's, uncapped V-8 buggies, and assorted abnoxious older yz's. Riding right past ranger's, no one seemed to care. The closed courses are also having noise problem's since 4-strokes came on the scene. I have read in Cyclenews that some track's in S.Cal have banned WR-450's, way too loud. Do you think the environmentalist's knew that 4-strokes would have a noise problem, when they started pushing for the demise of the 2-stroke.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing is, the laws have been on the books for a while now. It's just now being enforced. I'm not sure when the sound section was added to the VC, but it usually deals with competition vehicles cutting down to 96dB starting with 1998. But there are other dates going back to the 1970s. I would hazard a guess that it was in the 1970's and has been updated as needed since then. The latest change was in 2002 with changes going into affect 1/1/2003.

Dvision 16.5 (PDF version online) of the CA VC deals with OHVs. Section 38370 in specific deals with Noise Limits. Page 598-9 of the full VC (page 13-14 of the linked PDF) lists the limits. Paragraph (d) mentions the Federal Noise Control Act of 1972 (P.L. 92-574) so I would hazard a guess it's based off of federal law. That may be dealing with the noise limits in 38370(a)(1)-(4).

That's the thing about Pismo, it's almost a free-for-all out there. I'm sure people will be royally tweaked when the crackdown happens. And it will. The landowners surrounding the dunes will have the VC to back them. There's no other way around it.

Personally, I don't think that pipes should be offered for sale if the manufacturer KNOWS that it would be too loud. And they all know how loud their pipes are. CA uses a clearly defined SAE procedue for testing sound levels.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

ss 97 where do u ride in any im from li and cant find anywhere in the surronds states worth my drive!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

if you think kerry is your friend just b/c he did a public shot with artic cat you and his campaign spokesman said some 'ooie gooie' good feeling statement to get your vote, you need to read HIS policy on what HE plans to do to the enviornment within the first 100 days of office. he clearly states that he will overturn the bush policy on the lands (which bush opened up b/c CLINTON closed them for off-road use). he will do this without your vote by way of executive order. just like bush did to open them, and just like clinton did to close them in the first place.
lok at his record in the senate on the envrioment. his action doenst defend his current pronouncment of being and avid hunter and outdoor sportsman.

besides, the stuff about closures at the local level..BS... Federal law ALWAYS supercedes local and state law. always. if laws get made at the federal level concerning this, it will eventually trickle down to state and local level and opens the door to restriction after restriction for us.

At the same Mr. Kerry wants to be sure that the lands that are used for public access are respected at a high level
by the way, this is their disclaimer they sneaked by you. they will use the 'respected at high level' thing as a way of fulfilling their commitment to the environmentalists and pushing you out of places.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:22 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ss97-I'm way more scared of Kerry in other areas like tax increases (how you going to pay for his Hillary socialized medicine plan without huge taxes?) and gun control, than I am his effect on off-roading.

Old 10-15-2004, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Duke,

I feel for you down in LI. I'm from Jersey and have a lot of friends who suffer with no place to ride. I moved upstate two years ago and bought some land. Most of the land I ride on is private, my own included. But there are state lands we ride through. I live out in the farm filled lands so things are still spaced far apart.

twentycharachters,

I know Kerry is not all he says he is, and I'm not backing him based on anything so flippant. I just thought it would be interesting to see what people had to say about him as a hunter and ATV rider. I don't expect it to change anyone's vote.

And with respect to land closures, do the research, you will see that very few federal sanctions have ever closed local lands. Most of the time the states use the government as a tool to push such things right by you. Most people don't bother to look at the REAL reason why things happen, they are just TOLD why they happen and live with that. Its the state that holds the final yes/no answer when the government offers them money for lands, they don't HAVE to sell that land to the government for anything, not even Indian reservations.

The fact of the matter is that you are more likely to see government sell-off when the state government matches the federal government in party domination. In other words, if you have a GOP governor and a GOP president you are more likely to see cooperation, same goes for a Democratic team.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Oh my god!, he killed kerry, you bastards! [/stan]

Old 10-16-2004, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider

Government does too shut down land to off roaders

Thank God there are some judges out there with some commen sense that are willing to stand up for what is right!

Clinton took away our right bush tried to give it back and a judge tried to block him and another judge came to our defense.

We need to find more judges like this so that we can keep our lands open when they get shut down improperly.

Old 10-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Yes,

In National Parks they can because they own it already. This was not my argument. I was talking about lands that currently are private and state lands, since that is where most ATV riders are causing problems for residents.

A National park is already owned by the governenment so they can do what they want with it. Look how much potential riding areas got nixed when they expanded the huge test facility known as "Area 51".

In those such cases they can pull the "right to public domain" card and offer millions of dollars for what is seen as "worthless" land to builders. That will never stop.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

*hopes kerry gets ran over by nosediving his arctic cat and gets crushed under 500? lbs of pissed off quad*

Quick Reply: John Kerry rides an Arctic Cat