Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

CPSC is targeting ATVs again - 12/13/05 Deadline

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPSC is targeting ATVs again - 12/13/05 Deadline

I am just glad that after years of complaining, the CPSC is finally acting on the suggestion that the guidelines need updating. I sincerely hope that this time around, they modify the review procedures so that this process is repeated every few years, not decades. This process needs to be a living document that changes with the times.

I also hope that consideration is made to put some meat into the mandatories.... Right now, the voluntary compliance is NOT working, and we see less and less compliance. The off brands sold out of the back of pickups on the vacant corners etc are a threat to the entire industry, and something must be done about them... They must be forced to comply or sell their products elsewhere.

Lastly, I hope that some thought is put into funding if they do make this a mandatory issue. States are strapped for funds. Training costs real dollars, and there is not enough trainers to go around. In my area in northern VA, there is one instructor. And he only teaches 4 or 5 times a year. Yet there are thousands of machines sold each year in the area. I am still waiting to get my wife in... and that has been over 4 years now. The one class we were scheduled for was cancelled because the instructor had something come up... That was 2 years ago. This has to change, and some thought needs to be put into this.

Muddy, I am sorry to hear that in MI that the dealers there are unmoved. Nationally according to teh document above, I think they quoted 70 percent compliance, but that is not good enough.

I am lucky here in VA where my local dealer that I work with makes it a point to personally sit down and talk with every new ATV parent. If he knows this is the first time on one, he has a program put together to make sure that the riders and parents are aware of the dangers and can operate the machines safely. We worked together to put a riding track out back of his shop that explains the concepts of side hill riding, crossing logs, ruts etc. I run a free class to whoever wants it regardless of machine size etc. The majority of riders are kids/families... but I pay very close attention to making sure that the parents understand the fundamentals so they can in turn act as teachers when they are on their own.

This dealer also supports the ASI training courses in the area with maintenence of machines, deep discounts, and a few used machines once in a while. He understands the business, and it is why he sells so many ATV's and accessories. I wish they all were this good.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:14 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
I am just glad that after years of complaining, the CPSC is finally acting on the suggestion that the guidelines need updating.
Im glad your on our side! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I wonder HOW the CPSC come up with a 70% compliance with the Consent Decree?Based on my personal observations here in Michigan,I estimate that it is not even close to 20%.

Safety Education has to start at the POINT of SALE..From there,it is put on the instructor to give a well informed class to BOTH parent and youth,than from there,its up to the PARENTS to make sure that they set good examples and make sure that their youth operate in a safe/responsable manner.

Take out ANY of these three steps,and you'll get a recipe for failure.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:14 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
I wonder HOW the CPSC come up with a 70% compliance with the Consent Decree?Based on my personal observations here in Michigan,I estimate that it is not even close to 20%.

Safety Education has to start at the POINT of SALE..From there,it is put on the instructor to give a well informed class to BOTH parent and youth,than from there,its up to the PARENTS to make sure that they set good examples and make sure that their youth operate in a safe/responsable manner.

Take out ANY of these three steps,and you'll get a recipe for failure.
I would think that the dealers would remember how fast 3 wheelers dissapeared in the '80s. It was virtually a over night thing. 3 wheelers were pulled from show room floors so fast it made your head spin. And 3 wheeler racing stopped immediately too.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Yes Muddy, I agree that parental involvement is paramount. Unfortunately that isn't always the case, and in my comments to teh CPSC, I asked that a responsible adult be required to go through the training as well. Maybe I should have stated an "certified" responsible party.

I think we are too close to teh issue, as both of us have spent considerable time involved with teaching youth and novice riders the basics.. We have seen the soccer mom mentality and the total babysitter thing going on. I would hope that parents reading this would consider getting a machine for themselves.. because teh best way to teach is by example, and by being out there, not on the hammock sipping a soda. Assuming of course they are at lest in earshot in the first place.

Most of us have learned from experience that put a kid on a quad and let them get out of your sight for 5 minutes, and you would swear that they had just had a frontal lobotomy or something.. and forgot all the safety stuff they were taught. You need to watch them like hawks. Kids are going to be kids... there is no way around it... but the most important part is parents need to be PARENTS once in a while. If they don't, the likelyhood that something serious may happen grows exponentially.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

Have I told you guys that you are awesome yet???? The deadline is fast approaching. I've gone to a few other forums and have started posts to get the word out. Here's what I have posted that I quoted from another person. Is there anything else that I need to say to get others attention? Have you all forwarded this info along to family and friends?? Thanks again for such great opinions! Dragginbutt....I just thought of another thing to add to my letter regarding updating the guidelines more frequently.

"The Consumer Product Safety Commission is asking for OUR input on how to keep regulations out of the picture.

Please submit your comments by DECEMBER 13, 2005.

We have the opportunity to make a difference!!!!

It will take a while to read but it's definitely worth it. Keep in mind while reading that you are thinking of ways to improve the current regulations and adding some really important ones that have been missed.

Unfortunately, the CPSC has been pulled back into the ATV fight. You'll find in the following an "Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking" which is the first step of sorts in the process of making ATVs "safer". Please remember while reading it that they are asking for public participation here. They want to know what WE would do about decreasing ATV deaths and injury. I'm sure this is all backed by the anti-access guys to eliminate ATV use and we all know that there are many other injuries and deaths due to other, less targeted sports (rock climbing, organized football, etc). But the facts is, the attack on ATV use and sales is coming on strong and the anti-access crowd, of course, wants ATV use banned entirely or at the very least, ban their use by people of a certain age.

This is really serious...it was through the CPSC that the "concerned parties" were able to eliminate the sale of 3-wheelers. Don't for one minute think they couldn't possible do the same thing for eliminating ATV use by children or limiting the engine size or any of the thousand other ways they could come up with to further restrict our sport/hobby. This isn't limited to just who play in the sand or desert, this affects everyone nationwide who uses ATVs to hunt, fish, trailride, etc.

Squeaky wheels get what they want. The stats in this Notice are not good. Like it or not, that's what the CPSC is dealing with."

SSSOOOOOO, step up, squeak loud!!!!! Let's stand together and fight otherwise, it's another right....lost.

Happy reading....

Old 12-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Some inside info from unamed sources (I work in DC remember) have told me that one of the biggies that they are going for will eliminate the riders under the age of 6 years old. If you have a child that fits in that category, it is time to sharpen the pencils and lick the stamps... It is hard to sell this as a family sport when the young ones are left to play in the dirt with their hotwheels while all teh "Older" kids get to play for real....

If the CPSC makes a ruling, you can bet that the states will quickly adopt them... and this means more than just the ones that have programs today... It will effect all the states.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is so great to see so many people getting involved with this! The CPSC truly doesn't want to have to regulate this so the more the true users give them guidance the better off we ALL are. :-)

One thing I do want to point out... some states (like California) already have certified training requirements for ATV riders. Children under 18 must be officially certified or have an adult supervising them who is officially certified. The classes take 4.5 hours and have been extremely difficult to get into until very recently. The classes are free to new buyers but there is a fee charged to anyone else. So many people buy their quads used that this has become the main problem area.

Vicki

Old 12-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

DB, much as I completely agree with your other comments, I do have to raise an eyebrow at very young riders, at least on the scaled down adult style ATV that is being marketed as a child's ride. I have two young kids in my house (age 6 and 8), and from my experience, I have to wonder if a child that age has the judgment to safely operate an off road motor vehicle that can roll over and mash them. Kids that age are not noted for their ability to recognize and avoid danger. Mine sure aren't, it's like herding cats to keep them in one piece.

I don't doubt that there are parents devoted enough to their children to get them properly trained to ride an ATV, and not let them ride unsupervised or in rough terrain. What I also think is that the average parent isn't prepared to put that sort of time in, in this day and age of 'put them in front of the TV and forget them' parenting. And let's be honest here - dead children are the ATV's real black eye. With 1/4 of all fatalities being children under the age of 16, the press is tarring and feathering the ATV as a child killer. Makes great headlines. Tragedy draws the presss like manure draws flies.

Personally, I would greatly prefer that children's quads be more like the old Honda Oddysey, with full roll cage, wider wheelbase, and lower center of gravity. The difference in the riding experience between that style of quad, and the traditional adult style with high center of gravity and no rollover protection isn't much. The difference in dead children would be substantial. I may draw some fire here, but I wouldn't mind seeing the CPSC mandate rollover protected quads for young kids. The child killer reputation is one we just don't need.

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Some inside info from unamed sources (I work in DC remember) have told me that one of the biggies that they are going for will eliminate the riders under the age of 6 years old. If you have a child that fits in that category, it is time to sharpen the pencils and lick the stamps... It is hard to sell this as a family sport when the young ones are left to play in the dirt with their hotwheels while all teh "Older" kids get to play for real....

If the CPSC makes a ruling, you can bet that the states will quickly adopt them... and this means more than just the ones that have programs today... It will effect all the states.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

I have to wonder if a child that age has the judgment to safely operate an off road motor vehicle that can roll over and mash them. Kids that age are not noted for their ability to recognize and avoid danger. Mine sure aren't, it's like herding cats to keep them in one piece.
You know, I have to agree about their abilities at these ages because I too have young children, 9 and 4. What's the difference about turning a child loose riding his bicycle on the street or sidewalk without any instruction or warnings of dangers? Children learn by repetition. They avoid danger because I'm there to point out and guide them through the learning process. Is there enough parents out there like me? No, there isn't and they are the ones that will hurt our sport for us, all of us.

It just comes down to the government or some agency telling me what I can do and what I can't do with my children. The CPSC has bigger things to worry about besides ATVs, have you read the stats on shopping carts???