Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

Education. That's the bottom line.

Know your limits, your machine's limits, and the area you're riding.

I can directly attest to the "know the area you're riding" aspect: last weekend at Gordons, a lady drove her golf cart right into the canal behind our camp. (Read about it at Under My Helmet). She was fine, but it begs the question, "HTF?" (I didn't mention it in the article, but she was drunk, easily noticable even after the adrenaline from the crash and the exposure to the cold water.) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I also think the "record number" of fatalities are a direct result of more people riding.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

Rekd isnt video great!!

Here is a link for everyone to see a vid of a live newscast that shows pretty much exactly how, who, why, and how quickly things can go wrong.

reporter showing us on live tv why inexperienced riders are most at risk

Old 02-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Range Rover

I wonder how hard she would have laughed if the 650-Lb. Grizzly had filped backwards and landed on her 115-Lb. body. And then, to add ignorance to potential serious injury, she climbs on the single seat ATV as a passenger while proclaiming they were going for "a safer ride."

I believe it was Forrest Gump who said it best: "Stupid is as Stupid does Sir!"
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2007, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: EEResQ
I wonder how hard she would have laughed if the 650-Lb. Grizzly had filped backwards and landed on her 115-Lb. body. And then, to add ignorance to potential serious injury, she climbs on the single seat ATV as a passenger while proclaiming they were going for "a safer ride."

I believe it was Forrest Gump who said it best: "Stupid is as Stupid does Sir!"
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
I know it was a movie, but that was about the smartest supposed stupid guy I ever seen [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

That quote was in my signature for a long while too, and still is on some other sites.

Far as the vid goes did everyone notice how the camera panned away from the wreck, or how simple and quickly it all happened?

Besides proper training etc what actually caused this seems to be a thumb throttle that was fully depressed (wot) when the rider lost control due to panicing etc.

I know not all accidents are like this one etc, but I think this short vid really shows just how easy it is to get into trouble etc, and why we really need to be proactive on this whole thing. The fact she was wearing a helmet was a great plus, but the only reason she didnt suffer any real injury was 100% luck (something good to have plenty of by the way) and I feel certain that more than one rider has suffered worse from an accident that started out pretty much the same. Just think if she wasnt on a staged set etc and was out alone negotiating a turn and instead of whacking another atv she found a nice wet ditch that she became trapped in underneath that seriously heavy beast of a quad.

I think there is a lot to be learned from viewing this.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

exactly my point concerning kids... Even seasoned adults will panic in the right situation and peg the throttle. I have been riding since the brown shoe days, have fallen and crashed so many times that I dont' really get scared, but 3 yerars ago, when my oldest son crossed in front of me at a very unopportune moment, I peg the throttle, crashed and the resulting 7 surgeries on my knee including reconstructive ACL surgery, the months of rehab, 3 years of open wonds due to an infection, and shredded hamstrings are what I have to show for it.

Now think about a novice 6 year old.. even if they are on a mini.. the same action and result can and does occur.

Not to mention the 7 to 14 year olds. The ONLY way to over come that is to train under controlled conditions, and do it until reaction becomes instinct... That also requires a committment from parents to supervise and instruct...

Old 02-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I have been riding since the brown shoe days
Wow were you one of those old guys who we all hear about who walked 20 miles up hill in the snow to school everyday? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
exactly my point concerning kids... Even seasoned adults will panic in the right situation and peg the throttle. I have been riding since the brown shoe days, have fallen and crashed so many times that I dont' really get scared, but 3 yerars ago, when my oldest son crossed in front of me at a very unopportune moment, I peg the throttle, crashed and the resulting 7 surgeries on my knee including reconstructive ACL surgery, the months of rehab, 3 years of open wonds due to an infection, and shredded hamstrings are what I have to show for it.

Now think about a novice 6 year old.. even if they are on a mini.. the same action and result can and does occur.

Not to mention the 7 to 14 year olds. The ONLY way to over come that is to train under controlled conditions, and do it until reaction becomes instinct... That also requires a committment from parents to supervise and instruct...
I think you may have brought up a very good idea even if it wasnt intended etc.

By sharing some of our past experiences both good and bad there may be some good learning for any newbies who care to actually read it. It may work since most of these stories are pretty interesting to read.

I dont think it would be good to fill these pages in this thread with them all, but would be an excellent new topic. I know personally just how beneficial it has been in the long run to me to have had a worry some father who over emphasized safety, respecting and knowing your machine, knowing your limits, and took the time to make sure there were not any fuzzy areas and we knew what to expect and do in most all instances etc. It didnt hurt that he had experience in racing and had good info to pass along, but the point is more that he had an interest in taking the time to protect and educate as best he could etc. and I think that is something many just dont do anymore. I wouldnt call him a saint (far from it actually) but he took this stuff serious and its been very helpfull many times.

If any of you guys start a "share your riding experience to help new riders" thread please post a link in here.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

Mom, Daughter Involved In Valley Springs ATV Roll Over
Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 03:30 PM
MyMotherlode.com

Valley Springs, CA -- A mom and daughter are recovering from injuries received after an ATV accident Monday evening behind the Gold Creek Estates Subdivision.

"32-year old Tabitha Lewis was driving an ATV for the first time in a field behind the new development. She had her 10-year old daughter riding on the back."

The CHP says while making a left turn around an oak tree, Lewis lost control due to her high speed. Both riders were ejected as the ATV overturned.

Lewis' thigh was impaled by the handlebar. She was flown to Doctor's Hospital in Modesto for treatment of major injuries while her daughter was flown to Memorial North Hospital in Modesto for treatment of minor injuries.

Neither rider was wearing a helmet.

MyMotherlode.com

I believe it was Forrest Gump who said it best: "Stupid is as Stupid does Mamm!"

Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

You betcha... I am a card carrying AARP member. It may sound funny to some, but yes, I did walk to school when in grade school, and many times I rode my bike about 10 miles to school as well. (Walking was only a few blocks, maybe a half mile, bike ride was due to parents putting me in a private school, and bus service wasn't available and yes I was a tad bit of a trouble maker and the public school system threw a party when I switched)

It got interesting during winter. Heck, when I was in high school, I road a motorcycle to school year round.. well until one morning I did the big slide on my head for a couple hundred feet when I hit some black ice. Northern Illinois winters are brutal. But it sure beat riding the "Cheese" as we called our school busses back then. No self respecting teenager would ride one when going to high school.

I was a bit if a hellion, but not any worse than the rest. I did have the fastest snowmobile around though. I managed to get my hands on a well used older model F-1 factory ski-doo sled ice racer. That was one fast sucker when it ran. But having to turn wrenches for hours for a few minutes of speed was not my idea of fun, and I sold it to buy a regular Ski-doo 340 TNT. Of course standing near where a loose machine crashed into the crowd at Milwaukee and killing a few people had a lot to do with that decision as well.

I was the wheelie king of the hill in my town. I guess if I had been an adult then, I'd hate myself...

We didn't have quads back then.. I did have a go-kart though, and a quarter midget too. I lusted after the Ruppsters. Really freaked out when Honda came out with the oddysy and pilots. (Sorry can't spell) But by that time, I was into girls, dates, blowing huge chunks of my spendable cash on dirt bikes, MX and flat track racing etc. Besides, I was getting to be a rather large teenager by then, and couldn't fit on many of the cool things any more.

I was in Florida for my grandson's birthday in Oct, and went over to the local go-kart track in Homestead with my son in law, and youngest son, and dusted them. I lapped them handily, and right up to the point where the chest pains started affecting my lap times, I was doing pretty good. Managed to scare the heck out of the operators though. They didn't want me suing them, so they gave us wht must have been 50 bucks worth of tokens and the kids spent a couple hours playing video games while I sat there and tried not to die. I managed to get teh heart rate back to normal, and the sweating stopped after about a half hour. I must have forgotten to breath. I was so out of breath, I had to pull it in and leave the game to the younger set. For a while though, the operators and others watching us "Race" just sat there and hooted and hollered for us. That young one of mine is a chip off the old block. He was playing with my son in law. Must have passed him 3 or 4 times. He learned real quick from when I had passed him... I think he stole my moves. I spent too much time racing him on his video system, and knew what he was going to do.... Stupid kid, real predictable....

And yes, I still wear brown shoes.... and black wingtips on Sunday...

Old 02-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Great story draggin, but you better have that heart rate issue checked out so you dont etc.

most likely nothing, but why chance it.

Anyhoo it really sounds like you got way more experience than your little accident would dictate, and I am thinking it must have been just one of those "freak things" that no amount of experience or training could have helped. I have been known to offer up my knowledge or talent in favor of luck more than once, and it sounds like that would have been one of those time.

Thing is that these freak accidents seem to be so rare and such a small percentage of the accidents we see in our sport that I think it just further supports the idea of inexperience or "stupid is as stupid does" being the leading cause etc.

I know we all must have had one of those occasions where when not in control and things are looking bad that we look to whatever belief we have and just hope for the best since we know its out of our hands (at least for that moment) and thats when I would trade in all the experience, knowledge, skill etc for a good handfull of luck.

Still as much as I know there will be real accidents (different to me than collisions either intentional or the result of not being properly prepared) I also know so much of what we see is totally avoidable.

Just my own experience with riding and accidents has shown me over and again most were the result of something I had done, or even not done properly. Stupid stuff like not paying enough attention during slow speed turns on black top seem to get me more often than I would lilke to admit, but still I guess the experience and skill are part of what allows them to be a nuiance with just scrapes and scratches etc (though much more damaging to the ego lmao) and not a more serious injury like those were discussing here. I have to wonder how things would have been different in the most recent story above if the 32yr old mother had some experience or training before riding period not to mention with her daughter as a passenger. I am it would have because there would have been safety gear involved, and either slower speeds or the passenger would have been watching from the back yard. Its easy to play monday morning quarterback, but maybe one or two newbie riders will read this and make their changes before disaster strikes from thier mistakes.

Quick Reply: Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?