Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

If we killed all the lawyers then we wouldnt have to worry about the thinning of less than talented individuals from the gene pool.

The atv manufacturers are not responsible for your safty. That would be your responsibility. If you get hurt its no ones fault but your own or the person(s) who ran into you. Go take up Crochet or sompin safer if you excessivly concerned with people dying. and let those who choose to be foolish and die. die.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
If we killed all the lawyers then we wouldnt have to worry about the thinning of less than talented individuals from the gene pool.

The atv manufacturers are not responsible for your safty. That would be your responsibility. If you get hurt its no ones fault but your own or the person(s) who ran into you. Go take up Crochet or sompin safer if you excessivly concerned with people dying. and let those who choose to be foolish and die. die.
i didn't say anything about less talented individuals. I was talking about ignorant people with no common sense that are screwing all of us atv dudes over.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

Originally posted by: way2fst

i didn't say anything about less talented individuals. I was talking about ignorant people with no common sense that are screwing all of us atv dudes over.
can't we just blame the parents? its all there fault anyway.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OFC hey guy ,as you can see I am a ATV Saftyinstructor .

Seems like most dealers promote the free riding course when you purchase a new ATV ,
on average a person gets about a $100 dollars or a gift cetificate worth the same amount ,.

All the big manufactures are paying ASI for each machine thats sold so the people can take the training ,and most usually include one or 2 family members that can take the course for free . So the big Manufactures are putting up ,it's just stupid people that think they have nothing else to learn.

I have not yet ever had anybody leave my class and say they didn't learn something .

Old 01-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer

I hear ya dean. but ya know ya can't fix stupid.. Look at public edmuncation. thats americas attempt at fixin stupid and it seems to merely perpetuate that wich they wish to cure [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I don't understand why its the governments job to protect us from ourselves. Its not the manufacturers intent to hurt us and if we are not responsible/skilled/ect... then well its our own dam fault and no one should protect us from ourselves If we cannot protect ourselves we should die. well i guess if your tribe/clan/family can protect you then you can live. but otherwise too many people in this world living under the hand of uncle sam.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: deanz400
OFC hey guy ,as you can see I am a ATV Saftyinstructor .

Seems like most dealers promote the free riding course when you purchase a new ATV ,
on average a person gets about a $100 dollars or a gift cetificate worth the same amount ,.

All the big manufactures are paying ASI for each machine thats sold so the people can take the training ,and most usually include one or 2 family members that can take the course for free . So the big Manufactures are putting up ,it's just stupid people that think they have nothing else to learn.

I have not yet ever had anybody leave my class and say they didn't learn something .
i didnt buy my quad new, can i still get the $100 for takin the course? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Ok it seems many would agree that stupid = getting into trouble or hurt etc, but here is a little debate to this (though I agree to a point also) how do you describe or account for all the good riders who dont kill themselves who are as Forrest Gump would say "not a smart man".

Lets face it you dont have to spend 8+ years doing time to get your masters degree to operate an atv, and most of those who do seem to end up being injured are not old enough anyhow, BUT many of those who are of age, and those who are still under the guardianship of their parents etc who get into trouble seem to have a gapping hole right where all the time should have been spent learning about what they were getting into, and the safe and proper ways to use it.

I applaud those who have taken the time to pass the training instructor licence or training etc (like deanz400), and I have told many people to utilize their services as from what I have learned about the courses there is somethng to be learned by everyone (even the instructors learned a lot of those I know), and is a real must for any new riders, or their parents.

I had a friend who recently purchased an atv, and a MC for his daughter and son (7 and 4) and beyond the countless hours of info he was forced to take in he was pushed to their taking the course together, and trust me its not easy trying to pursuade or explain to a guy in his early 30's that currently rides a street bike, previously rode many miles on a dirt bike, and even put in a couple hours on an atv that he has to take the time and bring his kids and himself to a course. I hope enough of my bs sank in that he does it.

Even if you dont agree with OFC on his basic opinion on letting natural selection run its course in our sport, this is basically what seems to have been happening, and may also be a large part of why we are seeing so much resistance to our sport on all levels.

As much as I dont like to see uncle sam taken advantage of by his willingness to protect those described earlier etc I also dont expect him to stop his normal ways to help us out etc, and just like no one would have ever believed you wouldnt be able to smoke anyware you like, or would be issued summons's for not wearing a seatbelt, and a hundred more laws that have been smuggled into our system to "protect us" dont think sending the atv the way of the three wheeler isnt a possiblility either.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GJRonK
-

Take a look at these forums. There is constant talk about juicing up the vehicles so they are faster, can jump farther, climb tall rocks in a single bounce, part deep rivers of solid mud, go at top speed of 60 mph, and so on! Well, you can't keep accidents down if you have so many people trying to exceed the parameters of what these ATVs were designed for.

While it is possible that many of the accidents listed in the links above were done doing no more than chores, it seems that many were where there was someone driving beyond their capability. So without being a total "Nanny State", I would have to consider no more than my suggestions above.

GJRonK
Sorry but I missed this earlier.

I hear what your saying, but just like a totally stock machine you can not remove the responsibility for the operation of a modified machine from the rider either.

Actually though mine barely resembles stock (except for the plastics lol) I am 100% certain it is safer under any conditions than it was when it was stock. Sure its much faster (close to 10mph more on top speed, and thats not even something I wanted) and way way much quicker(thats the idea), but it also stops unbelievably better, handles turns that would send the stocker flipping, and has a suspension that will not only prevent most of the events that happen from unexpected trail obstacles etc, but also can bail you out of some of the more serious "oooh sheeets" that can happen too.

Still its no better or worse than the nut inside the helmet, and even though finding your limits is the only way to extend them (also how to become a faster rider etc) its still a matter of the rider, and his or her experience, preperation, and respect for what they are doing.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 440EX026
Ok it seems many would agree that stupid = getting into trouble or hurt etc, but here is a little debate to this (though I agree to a point also) how do you describe or account for all the good riders who dont kill themselves who are as Forrest Gump would say "not a smart man".

Lets face it you dont have to spend 8+ years doing time to get your masters degree to operate an atv, and most of those who do seem to end up being injured are not old enough anyhow, BUT many of those who are of age, and those who are still under the guardianship of their parents etc who get into trouble seem to have a gapping hole right where all the time should have been spent learning about what they were getting into, and the safe and proper ways to use it.

I applaud those who have taken the time to pass the training instructor licence or training etc (like deanz400), and I have told many people to utilize their services as from what I have learned about the courses there is somethng to be learned by everyone (even the instructors learned a lot of those I know), and is a real must for any new riders, or their parents.

I had a friend who recently purchased an atv, and a MC for his daughter and son (7 and 4) and beyond the countless hours of info he was forced to take in he was pushed to their taking the course together, and trust me its not easy trying to pursuade or explain to a guy in his early 30's that currently rides a street bike, previously rode many miles on a dirt bike, and even put in a couple hours on an atv that he has to take the time and bring his kids and himself to a course. I hope enough of my bs sank in that he does it.

Even if you dont agree with OFC on his basic opinion on letting natural selection run its course in our sport, this is basically what seems to have been happening, and may also be a large part of why we are seeing so much resistance to our sport on all levels.

As much as I dont like to see uncle sam taken advantage of by his willingness to protect those described earlier etc I also dont expect him to stop his normal ways to help us out etc, and just like no one would have ever believed you wouldnt be able to smoke anyware you like, or would be issued summons's for not wearing a seatbelt, and a hundred more laws that have been smuggled into our system to "protect us" dont think sending the atv the way of the three wheeler isnt a possiblility either.
440EX026......thanks for the big RED ALERT to all atv riders....or not

Quick Reply: Stupid Kills? or What can the ATV community do to reduce the number of serious injuries?