Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

First of all, the Powerstroke WILL beat a Hemi of the same weight, period. In fact, the Ford weighs about 300 lbs. more. I'm not wondering that, it's a fact. The Hemi is the most overrated motor of the decade so far. What really kills it is the crumby transmission. It's the worst new trans of any truck/vehicle I've driven. If you don't believe me, do your homework. Just because you're a Dodge fan certainly doesn't make them better. On the upside, the Hemi sounds awsome.

The reason the Dodge was not included in the commercial is simple. They are too retarded to make an auto trans that can stand up to their HO Cummins. They just recently put an auto behind it and it's a 4-speed. I guess nobody told them it's 2003.

I have had no reflashes done on my truck and have had it since Jan. It works perfectly. If you look at the grand total of trucks sold to the amount of problems, you would be surprised. There have been some intial teething problems, but they are sorted out and Ford had a record diesel sales month in August.

As for the medium duty trucks, yes you can get a Cummins or Powerstroke or a multitude of engine/tranny combos. What's the point?

Personnaly I don't care which brand is best, I want the best truck. I bought the Ford because there is a noticable difference in power and refinement over the other two brands. So far my truck has been perfect and I hope it stays that way. You never know, anything can happen.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Ol
Range Rover

I really like my Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel, but is it THE best. Probabably not. If any truck was THE BEST how long would everyone else stay in business?

Old 09-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

As far as I can tell, the Cummins is a great motor. They are way reliable and respond great to mods. The only problem is the trans Dodge puts behind it. They do have that awsome big rig sound!!

Old 09-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Range Rover

I like Ford and Dodge. I also like the Powerstroke and Cummins. But im a Chevrolet fan. I havent heard much talk about the Duramax, but all that I have heard has been good, havent seen no bad comments about them yet. 6.6L Duramax 300hp 520lb/ft, I do believe that its the weakest of them all is this not correct? Recently a friend showed me a article in Four Wheeling magazine that had the Ford F250SD Powerstroke, Dodge 2500HD Cummings, and the GMC 2500HD Duramax competing. Well the GMC was the slowest to the 1/4 mile by a small amount of time, cant really remember how much slower. But with all the trucks with trailor loads, the GMC had the quickest acceleration with a load. With the Diesels all close with the same HP and Torque you cannot really tell a whole lot of difference I wouldnt think, But I know im prolly wrong. But I do think the Duramax needs to be upgraded, it will eventually. Hopefully soon.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Here's an article from a famous Chevy lover.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stor...out/page1.html

Old 09-12-2003, 01:19 AM
Range Rover

Looks like the new powerstroke dint do all that well for how new it is, I figured it would have done better than the rest. Looks like the Cummings and Duramax had better results.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: uthatch
Yalk to the guy who has 15,000 miles on a 6.0 Powerstroke with NO problem. That would be me. Or talk to the guy who just got rid of a Hemi because it ABSORBES gas, like nothing I ever saw. That would be me. Talk to the guy with a GMC Duramax with the Allison. That would be me. I've tried or am currently trying them all boys, you think what you want, I know what's best. The Ford would drag the Hemi AND Duramax faster than they will go on their own. I love these forums where everyone has an opion, but knowone knows the facts.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You want FACTS??? Here ya go.

1)
R/T........757
60'.........2.452
1/8........9.881 @ 73.64
1/4........15.357 @ 88.07

2)
R/T........887
60'.........2.298
1/8........9.824 @ 72.65
1/4........15.354 @ 87.30

3)
R/T - .779
60' - 2.367
330 - 6.647
1/8 - 10.224
MPH - 69.31
1000 - 13.270
1/4 - 15.896
MPH 85.02

4)
This guy was running 03 Ford 5.4 4-door 4x4 auto 17's / 265's He had 1/2 tank reg gas open box tailgate on
DODGE / FORD
REACTION .701 / .910
60FT 2.390 / 2.456
1/8 ET 9.913 / 10.942
1/8 MPH 74.15 / 62.99
1/4 ET 15.401 / 17.255
1/4 MPH 89.11 / 78.42

Originally posted by: uthatch
First of all, the Powerstroke WILL beat a Hemi of the same weight, period.
Bring it on! Both vehicles stock, theres no way a diesel is gonna walk away from a Hemi. Sorry. Where in PA are you? I'm in NJ about 40 minutes from Englishtown. I'd LOVE to line up against your Powerstroke at Raceway Park!! I'll even pay to have the video made so we can post it here.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Oh, and I seem to recall the Dodge Heavy Duty with the Cummins HO TD being crowned "Truck of the Year."

On a serious note, if you are looking for a truck to throw your quad in and go riding, get a 4x4. Any of them; Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, will do just fine. If you want a truck to drag race AND pull your quad, get a Lightning. Or you can pick up a Dodge Ram 1500 4x2 Short box, Regular cab for $20,000 and wait until October for Kenne Bell to release its Twin Screw Supercharger for the Hemi. Kenne Bell s/c brings the Hemi to 517 HP for $5,000 and walk away from the Lightnings. $25,000 for Hemi that will smoke $33,000 Lightning. Thats what I'm doing. But I'm also adding a Nitrous Express 100HP wet kit, headers, torque converter, and a butt load of other goodies.

Mmmmmm...600+ HP in a 5,500 lb. 4x4 pulling estimated low 12's in the 1/4 mi. I can't wait to see the looks on the faces of Corvette owners as they wonder why they are losing to a 4x4![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

Did we both read the same article???!!! The Ford crushed both the Dodge and the Chevy!!!

As for the Hemi/Ford Run, somehow I'm not surprised a short bed, modified, 1500 Hemi is faster than a Ford!!! Has anyone ever considered comparing apples with apples??? How about running that Hemi against a Lightning. 15.40 to 13.65. Wouldn't stand much of a chance, would it?? But let me guess, the Lighting is a sport truck, so it's not a fair comparison!! DUH! If you want to find a stock Hemi with an extended cab (if you can call it that), and a long bed and want to race tha, I'm more than ready. I'll gladly make the trip to raceway park. I already KNOW the results, I've done it, I'm not wondering.

You guys, I'm not trying to sound like I'm bragging, but I or my Dad has had most of these trucks and I know the reults. The Ford is the strongest...period. Race it against a lighter Dode or Chevy and it will lose. Race it against the equivalent truck and it will win.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

Did you even bother to read my sig to see what truck I have? No, obviously not. Its a QUAD CAB 4x4. And those times I listed are BONE STOCK before I put a Flowmaster muffler and CAI on it which made no difference except made it sound better.

It IS apples to apples. Both Light Duty (1500 Ram and F-150), both naturally aspirated (know what that means?), both Extended cab, both 4x4, both Short bed. I have 20" wheels, he had 17" wheels which is an ADVANTAGE FOR HIM, NOT ME!

Lightning vs. Hemi? Talk about apples to oranges. The Lightning is SUPERCHARGED, weighs less, 4x2, and set up for racing. I never said a Hemi would beat a Lighting stock to stock. Obviously the Lightning would win. But once I put a supercharger on the Hemi and am pushing 500+ HP, then the Lightnings will be going down. After all, apples to apples you say, right? Once the Hemi is Supercharged, like the Lightning is, the Hemi will win.

If you would like to set a date to meet at the track, I'd be more then happy. What are you going to run? Your Powerstroke Diesel? This is gonna be fun. I'll even take off my Cold Air Intake and put my stock air box on. Theres nothing I can do about the Flowmaster cause its welded on, but it does not make any preformance gains anyway.

Quick Reply: Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv