Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Originally posted by: Specta
Why would anybody buy any Chrysler product? Do they cost that much less than the others? Truck of the year, now that makes it better than the others, doesn't it. I have no doubt that the Cummings isn't a great engine, but Dodge doesn't make it do they? And they don't make a truck to put it in let alone handle the power it puts out.

Truck of the year. Are any of the ATV's of the Year the best ATV on the market?

"Love the power and rumble this engine makes," wrote Truck Trend Editor Mark Williams in the 2500's logbook. "This is a truck engine." Now all Dodge needs it a truck to put the fuel absorber in.

A brand new 2500 still rides like a 1968 w300 4x4, "like a rock!" Sorry Chevrolet for using a good line.

If the Dodge Cummings and Hemi are such a great trucks, and dominate all other trucks, why are they the worst selling?

Why does it take Dodge 488 ci. to keep up with Ford's 330 ci. in a Lightning? Did you know Ford SVT has a 2004 Lightning with a 5.4L that produces 500 HP and 500 ft.lbs. of torque? And a transmission to handle it! Now what is Dodge going to do? Build a 699 ci. V-12? Where will they get a transmission? Does Mitsubishi have one on the shelf they can let Chrysler use? Will Chrysler ever have a transmission? Will they ever hire an engineer who can fix one of their transmissions, any of them? Or maybe invent a "variable-rate- spring? Probably too deep for Chrysler.

Wow. You REALLY know your stuff!! I love when people comment on something they know absolutely nothing about.

Its Cummins. Not Cummings. You don't even know the name of the engine and you are bashing it. Hey, guess what. Chevy doesn't make their diesel engines either! They are made by Duramax. And their transmissions are made by Allison.

And you ask "Why does it take Dodge 488 ci. to keep up with Ford's 330 ci. in a Lightning?" Once again, if you knew anything about these vehicles, you would know that the Lightning is SUPERCHARGED. Yup, thats right. It has a blower. You see, the 5.4 is such a pig, Ford needed to slap a Supercharger on there, and it still only makes 40 more HP then the naturally aspirated (that means no forced air induction for the uneducated) Hemi. And the SRT-10 will not be "keeping up" with the Lightning, it will be blowing it away. No pun intended. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Stock 1/4 mile times have been said to be in the low 12's, whereas the Lightning's stock 1/4 mile times are in the mid to high 13's. **Disclaimer**...the SRT-10's 1/4 mile time is a factory estimate. I have not seen one race yet so I will not say for sure what exact times it will be pulling.

"Did you know Ford SVT has a 2004 Lightning with a 5.4L that produces 500 HP and 500 ft.lbs. of torque?"
Yeah, I saw that in a magazine also. Its a CONCEPT. Its not a 2004 model. Coming from the mouths of Lightning owners I know, that truck MAY be out in 2005. And thats a big MAYBE. I've seen Vipers with 1300 HP. SRT-10 has a Viper motor. Hmmm, have I ever even HEARD about a Lightning with 1300HP? Nope, not a chance.

Educate yourself. Gain knowledge on a product before you attemp to throw in your "witty" remarks. Just a heads up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who cares how you spell it? I did not bash the "Cummings" engine, just the pick-up that it comes in, re-read my comments. The Duramax is built Isuzu, not Duramax. I know the Lightning is supercharged, everybody knows that. It still takes Dodge a 488 ci "oinker" to keep up with it. Maybe you should let them know what "forced air induction" is. Doesn't a blower just increase the volumetric efficiency of the combustion chamber? I know the 500 hp Lightning is a concept vehicle, but they have one and can drive it and dont have to "guess" how fast it is. It has the same 5.4L that is in the 2004 Ford GT, not a concept vehicle, a production vehicle. Where is that R/T anyway? Why does Dodge "estimate" how fast it is? Don't they have one that actually runs? Maybe is a pretty big word. Maybe 2006?

You have told me nothing I don't already know. I just didn't think I have to fill in the fine print or write between the lines.

Educate yourself. Gain knowledge on a product before you attempt to throw in your "witty" remarks. Just a heads up.

The fact is, Dodge is at the end of the line. It always has been and always will be.

Old 09-13-2003, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

Preach on again. Duramax is not a company. The Lightning is real, not a guess. The GT is real and will crush a Viper. Why doesn't Dodge put a blower on anything? Because they do not have a trans that can stand it!! Dodge has something for the kids to tinker with, but when it comes down to real work or play, you need a Ford.

Old 09-13-2003, 02:14 AM
Range Rover

All this bashing on Brand names isnt going to get yall anywhere. Different people like different brands. I see these threads all the time and nothing gets accomplished. Im a Chevrolet fan, theres nothing you can say or do about it to change my mind. I dont care if it is a fact. Another thing, alot of people bash Dodges. There the best looking damn truck on the road, Fords alright, and Chevrolet doesnt look all that great but I can deal with it. If your going to bash the diesels that come in these trucks, dont bash the brand name that it comes in. Ford, Chevy, and dodge dont make diesels, well Chevy did at one time but it wasnt worth anything really. Very Intelligent Engineers build these trucks, and if your not a engineer I dont think you alt to be bashin anything.

Old 09-13-2003, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A very good friend of mine has a new Dodge 1500 Hemi and is very happy with it and I hope it lasts a long time and is trouble free. He traded in a 95 F-150 on it. Other than regular maint he said he had to turn the rotors (twice including replacing the brakes) and replace a rear main seal in his Ford and that was unacceptable to him. I know what he means, after only 142,000 miles I think those are excessive repairs too. I hope his new pick-up treats him better.

I would be done and leave but I can't find the key to my M38 Power Wagon.

(sorry, I get a little carried away sometimes, you should see my truck)

Old 10-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

tattoo
I couldn't have said it better except for one thing, the 6.0 powered GMC doesn't have the power of the Hemi and gets worse MPG.
I have a SS and I can tell you right now it will beat a Hemi, whatever size. Now the lightning is a different story. For one thing it is reg cab and stepside, which would be fiberglass, and not to mention the supercharger. A lightning has beat me but not from the start. Unless it wamed up its tires real good. I bet I can beat ANYTHING, except for Subaru, in the rain. I can't peel out. But I do only get 11.1 MPG, but I also have a Hyperprogrammer. The reason I got it was so I didn't have to do anything to the outside and still look good and still be kinda quick. The price was high(41.6k) but I got 13k off because my uncle works at GM.

I think all these trucks are equal in a way, though. Just depends on what your into. I really am more into make my ears bleed from my two powers in the back. If you like to do your own mods on the engine, get a HEMI. And if you just want stock, get SVT.

Old 10-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

DanPayne: Wanna bet $700 you can't beat a GMC Syclone (bone stock) in the rain in a 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag race? If so I'm gonna have $700 extra in my pocket [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: danpayne
tattoo
I couldn't have said it better except for one thing, the 6.0 powered GMC doesn't have the power of the Hemi and gets worse MPG.
I have a SS and I can tell you right now it will beat a Hemi, whatever size. Now the lightning is a different story. For one thing it is reg cab and stepside, which would be fiberglass, and not to mention the supercharger. A lightning has beat me but not from the start. Unless it wamed up its tires real good. I bet I can beat ANYTHING, except for Subaru, in the rain. I can't peel out. But I do only get 11.1 MPG, but I also have a Hyperprogrammer. The reason I got it was so I didn't have to do anything to the outside and still look good and still be kinda quick. The price was high(41.6k) but I got 13k off because my uncle works at GM.

I think all these trucks are equal in a way, though. Just depends on what your into. I really am more into make my ears bleed from my two powers in the back. If you like to do your own mods on the engine, get a HEMI. And if you just want stock, get SVT.
Well, it depends on which Ram w/ Hemi. The SS is setup as a racing truck, like the Lightning. The Rams are built not for racing, but for towing/hauling. If the Ram were geared like the SS, it would be very close. Actually, I've seen the Reg. cab 1500 Hemi do 15.17 1/4 mile stock. I have not seen an SS run, but Motor Trend did 15.22 1/4 mile with the SS. But the Ram has a big weight advantage being 4x2 Reg. cab w/ 17" wheels, and the SS being ext. cab 4x4 w/ 20" wheels.

Max Towing Capacity: Sliverado SS----7,500 lbs. / Ram 2500 w/ Hemi----11,400 lbs. (used Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab Hemi for a more equal comparison)

See, both have 345 HP & 375/380 lb ft torque. But the SS is faster by a little less then 1 second in the 1/4 mile but can't tow as much, and the Hemi is slower, but can tow more. Its all in the gearing.

Mind if I get in on that bet? I'll put $1000 on the Syclone.

Old 10-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

actually, if you would do your homework, there is a 6.0 powerstroke. please think before you speak.

REMEMBER, THE HEARTBEAT (cheverolet) DIED OF A STROKE (ford)

Old 10-25-2003, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

The 500 hp Lightning is coming. I believe that the new CEO of Ford Motor Co., yes the younger generation Mr. Ford, has performance as one of his priorities. No more of the "I can't get a Mustang with enough power." I never imagined that Ford would produce a 390 hp Cobra. I don't care if it is blown or if it has a few ponies less than the competition, but Ford did something I never expected them to do. And I am thankful for that.

Kind of like Honda not building respectfully powerful quads & crotch rockets. Not saying that my 01 CBR 929 was underpowered, it was insane. But it didn't have GSXR 1000 power. I know because I rode them both. Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised by both Ford and Honda this year.

As far as potential, anybody with lots of $$$ can make any of these aforementioned engines run unbelievably well. Who cares? Not me. I don't have $10K+ to drop into a truck engine. If you want to go extremely fast, buy a crotch rocket and a less expensive truck. Ever ridden a GSXR 1000?! 145 mph 1/4 mile with expert rider. Or try the new CBR 1000 RR.

If you want to haul quads go for something more suited for that. Anything from the rice burning Nissan to the F-650 or if you have the money just buy a Kenworth and a 53' enclosed race trailer from Featherlite. If you want something that will haul a quad and that can plant your back into the seat, then look for the Lightning, SS, or SR-T.

Personally, I'd rather drop that money on a Crankenstein or a big bore / stroker Banshee and have my slow, [and in my opinion] beautiful white F-150 FX4 Extra Cab with the little 5.4L.

By the way, it seems like I heard of someone on here that was going to turbo his R/T Dakota and something about 750 hp. Hmmm? It is one of those guys that loves to use nitrous on his quads, and come to think about it, he has a real Hemi. One that is really worthy of that Legendary name. If you want to know who it is, just search the gallery. Maybe we need to have a "Who am I contest" on here where you try to guess who we are talking about. He just might also have a turbo Raptor in the works.

All of these brands of vehicles are nice. Each has there problems or deficiencies. I'm a Ford loyal consumer that thinks the new Hemi is nothing more than a marketing strategy. {In no way do I mean to offend anyone with my opinions.} Seems like every Dodge lover thinks they have to have a Hemi. I guess I'll just have to get the New F-150. NOT, I like the one I have. Ford is not going to convince me that I need to upgrade to the newest, totally redesigned F-150, blah, blah, blah. I already have more truck than I need.

I have a brother-in-law that would buy Dodge no matter what. That's what he likes. He's literally ate up with Dodge / Chrysler products. That is his right and as long as he's happy with what he gets, then I'm happy for him. To each his own.

The simple truth behind his desire for a hemi is that he relates the old Hemi's with the new. And he can impress everyone because people will pull up to the stoplight and ask "is that a Hemi?" Yeah right. Just like I'm going to take my Ford pulling a Shelby Mustang and out accelerate the truck next to me because I have more low end torque. What a joke. That is like drag racing a Diesel Polaris quad.

The old hemis were awesome dragsters. Blown / nitrous hemi's are legendary. The most impressive car I have ever seen at the dragstrip was an altered axle Dodge/Chrysler with a blown Hemi. He was from Racine (sp?) Wisconsin. That car was bad. He broke and I didn't get to see a full run, but I saw enough. Just having seen his car carry the front wheels to half track (it was an 1/8th mile strip) on his "dry hop" was worth the trip and spectator fee.

But this is 2003 and so the new Hemi produces 345 hp. The new naturally aspirated 5.4 is 300 hp. Just because the Dodge is a hemi, doesn't mean it is great powerhouse like the old 426s. Considering how technology has affected all of these vehicles is impressive. The engineering behind any vehicle is amazing.

And about blower motors; although I'm not a huge fan of a supercharger, I have to say it isn't a bad idea. Smaller engine, less compression, basically it isn't stressed all the time like a high compression, high lift / duration engine. (Cobra Mustang 390hp/4.6L = 84 hp per L = 84 hp per 61 or 62 cubic inches.) Only when you romp on the gas and get that boost pumping is when you're stressing it. That is what makes me appreciate a blower. That is another reason why I can appreciate the idea of a turbo on a banshee. You only stress it as hard as you need to.

I can't believe I'm even adding to this crazy conversation. It is definitely time to go to bed. The simple answer to the original question is Dodge Hemi. That is definitely a sporty truck to haul quads. He didn't say a race truck to pull quads.

Daren

Quick Reply: Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv