WHATS THE BEST STUFF TO REMOVE WATER FROM YOUR TANK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHATS THE BEST STUFF TO REMOVE WATER FROM YOUR TANK?

Methyl Hydrate will do what you want and its cheap. Go to a truck shop and they will have it sitting on the shelf. Its used in airbrake systems to remove moisture so lines and valves wont freeze up in the winter.I usually dump a litre container into 400litres of Diesel fuel . If i forget to add it and the fuel lines freeze up I just pour in a litre and wait about 10minutes and the lines will clear out. The methyl Hydrate seems to 'find' the water . In at atv you shouldnt need more then a few mL per tank to do the job... say maybe 5-10mL

Old 12-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

good point about only using a few ml's Thud.

As with any of these of these products, you should only use very little in your wheeler. The bottles you buy at the local Pump-n-Munch are for treating car size fuel tanks.

Old 12-30-2003, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: FUFIGHTER
I don't know if theres water in my tank but I was told that it's a good idea to treat your tank with every fill up for long term maintanance especially in colder weather after riding when the bike goes in a warm garage it causes condensation in the gas tank and inturn could screw up the floats in the carb. I guess I'll go and see if we have HEET here in Canada I need to find something thats inexpensive that i can put in, in every fillup. THANKS ALL HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
I wouldn't put it in every tank. The alcohol is very hard on plastic (floats) and rubber (needle valve and fuel lines).

Maybe once a year at the most. Rubbing alcohol is much cheaper than the stuff you can buy at a-zone. I'd use about 2 ounces per gallon of gas and no more. I'd also make sure that it was gone from the carb before I parked the bike.

Old 12-30-2003, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Heet and the other products are preventitive, they will help keep water out but will not remove water from fuel. When water is absorbed by the alcohol it is still there and can still shut off fuel going through jets. It is importent to treat fuel before you have the problem. Gas has gotten bad enough that you need to treat year round.

Old 12-30-2003, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TORK
Gas has gotten bad enough that you need to treat year round.

Mental note to self: Don't buy gas in Kansas!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I heard SHELL gasoline was ruining gas gages because of a new additive they were using, alot of people complained and there were some law suits and they pulled the additive, that's what scares me the most, you don't know what's going to wind up in your tank, especially when you use different brands of gas. Oh well better get gramps MOONSHINE out!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] P.S. I've seen a new product out that looks like a funnel but it has a filter built in, and they claim it filters water and any other contamenents, any you guys hear about his?

Old 01-01-2004, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

I have used 100% wood alcohol in the past, it causes the water to mix with the gasoline and get blown out. On a quad it's usually pretty easy to take the carb loose and pull the float bowl to see what's in there.

These days, they put so much ethanol in gasoline that water in the gas doesn't seem to be much of a problem anymore.

Old 01-01-2004, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider

Gravity.

No, Seriously.
Drain the tank.

Buy Avgas.