H&R Block "Refund Anticipationloan"

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Block "Refund Anticipationloan"

Honestly, just go to the store and get it. Last night, I picked up Tax Cut Tax Deluxe and the Tax Cut State program. The Deluxe and State were about $22 each. You get state "free" if you send in the rebated. They also give you a $5 rebate for the Deluxe. So, in total, the software costs under $20.

The software tells you how to do EVERYTHING. Heck, it even has little videos you can click on. Trust me, you really can't miss anything by doing your taxes via a program. It litterally holds your hand through everything. It's a heck of a lot easier than paper and I can be it will save you money.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Turbo Tax Deluxe for several years now, for 29.95, you can't beat it. I go with Deluxe over Basic, because the Deluxe does all the work for you, no need to keep a calculator and lots of paper and pencils around. You just need your W2, 1098's, bank or investment returns ( all sent to you for tax time by these businesses) and boot it up. It asks you questions, you enter either numbers or answers, it keeps a running total to show refund/payment, and you are done in 1-2 hrs, depending on your deductions and income sources. You then buy or download State software, do your state returns, then e file them, Turbo Tax checks for math or deduction errors, tells you if anything needs fixing, ( it is guaranteed,any IRS problems,they stand behind you) and then you wait a day or so to get filing numbers and verification from the main office, then it goes off to the IRS, you select whether you want a check or direct deposite to your bank account, and you are done. You mail in some rebate forms to get you money back you paid to efile the federal, and to get your money back on the State software (some comes free with Turbo tax, others require buying,then getting a refund). After all checks have come in, you can delete the software, but it leaves files behind, so next year, the new Turbo Tax can see all the numbers from last year, and makes the next year taxes even quicker, plus you can print out all the standard forms for your records, or save to disk ( I do both for security), and all this for a fraction of H&R or other companies charge, (besides, they are probably using Turbo Tax to do your taxes !!!) on top of this, you can do other peoples returns, just don't get the filing refund for the extra forms. Sorry for the long one, but just wanted to give as much info as possible.Turbo Tax is a great way for 99 percent of the population to do taxes without the hassle of letting some stranger look over your income and tax records and tell you how to spend or make money.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ridinghard
if welfare is taking money from one group to another what do you call social security? WELFARE?
I do! Somewhat at least.

Social Security was started when the elderly population was smaller and people weren't living as long as they are today. As the population grew and started to live longer, the returns on the investments were not keeping up with demand. The current generation of babyboomers will probably wipe out what's left of social security.

I feel the system has created too much of a "safety net" for people to fall back on. Yes, there are people who really do need it, so don't rail me on that. However, I feel the more programs the government puts into place, the more people will depend on them. "Why should I contribute to an IRA or my 401k? I have social security!"

I think people should save on their own for retirement; we don't need the government doing it for us. Personally, I think I could do a better job at managing my retirement money than some beurocrat in Washington. I think letting us make our investment choices is the best thing for OUR future.

As far as taxes in general, we're overtaxed. It really is a redistribution of wealth/money. Why should I pay taxes in CT, only to have them fund a highway project in Nebraska? Why should someone in TX pay taxes to help build a new school in New Jersey?

The money should be in the hands of the people. We are consumers, therefore we are the economy. I feel that you and I could make smarter purchasing decisions with our own money. The economy would be much stronger if we, as individuals had more purchasing power.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

I am only refering to Federal Withholding tax in my above statements. Social Security is set up as a pay money in now and later get money out system. They more you pay into social security the more you will receive when you retire. Everyone's pay is taxed the same for social security and medicare, and there is no getting out of paying it for the most part, with some exceptions. Social Security is not welfare, however, if your only income is a social security check you are not making a whole lot.

And if you think that social security is going to be around as we know it now forever, you are greatly misinformed. Some of you might find this interesting, all social security payments are placed in the Social security trust fund. Congress and our wonderful government has made it law that all Social Security Trust fund balances can only be invested in US Government Treasury Bonds. When Treasury bonds are purchased the government gives a paper bond with a set interest to pay in return for money that is placed directly into the General fund. The General fund is the main "checking" account of the US and the money is used to pay current expenses. So when you hear how much money is in the Social Security trust fund, now you know that the trust fund is full of Treasury Bonds and all the money has been spent. There is no way the government will ever be able to pay back all those Treasury Bonds. It appears as if it is invested when in fact it has been spent. It is the same thing as if you took all the money out of your savings account and "loaned" it to you checking account and spent it. Then saying to yourself "I have all this money in savings because I am going to pay myself back one day" Give me a break.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

DennisC
I have filed mine as well as others since 1992 with computer sofware.
This year I am doing 27 individual returns for family and friends
Speaking for TurboTax...its all in there, very easy to use. Walks you through each step, as well as the electronic filing process
Any detailed questions, give me a PM

Old 02-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OverRaTeD
I am only refering to Federal Withholding tax in my above statements. Social Security is set up as a pay money in now and later get money out system. They more you pay into social security the more you will receive when you retire. Everyone's pay is taxed the same for social security and medicare, and there is no getting out of paying it for the most part, with some exceptions. Social Security is not welfare, however, if your only income is a social security check you are not making a whole lot.

And if you think that social security is going to be around as we know it now forever, you are greatly misinformed. Some of you might find this interesting, all social security payments are placed in the Social security trust fund. Congress and our wonderful government has made it law that all Social Security Trust fund balances can only be invested in US Government Treasury Bonds. When Treasury bonds are purchased the government gives a paper bond with a set interest to pay in return for money that is placed directly into the General fund. The General fund is the main "checking" account of the US and the money is used to pay current expenses. So when you hear how much money is in the Social Security trust fund, now you know that the trust fund is full of Treasury Bonds and all the money has been spent. There is no way the government will ever be able to pay back all those Treasury Bonds. It appears as if it is invested when in fact it has been spent. It is the same thing as if you took all the money out of your savings account and "loaned" it to you checking account and spent it. Then saying to yourself "I have all this money in savings because I am going to pay myself back one day" Give me a break.
Good post, glad someone else would lay this out.

There are so few people who have a grasp on this. If everybody understood this system, it would be overturned and a whole new system set up. That is, right after every congressman and senator were strung up. Trust fund. Unbelievable what they do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, pendejo, definitely don't waste the money for the anticipationloan, and do your own taxes if you can. But definitely e-file, and when you get that check in the next 2 weeks, go pay cash for your bike, like I did. You'll get a better deal, and own it free and clear without worrying about making those payments plus interest. Yeah, investing is a great idea, and when you have extra money do some of that, too, but life is too short not to have fun, and you will enjoy yourself so much on your quad that I gaurantee you won't miss that money! Have fun!

Old 02-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Damn, not getting back as much as I had hoped, but oh well. I just telefiled, they actually calculate almost everythign for you, very simple and fast, money should be in my bank Tuesday!