atv's vs dirtbikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv's vs dirtbikes

remeber that those top 10 were just some that i found on a site. not my personal opinions. i have nothing agains dirtbikes. the main thing i like about atv's vs. dirtbikes is that with a quad you can whip the back around, do donuts, powerslides, etc. you may be able to do some of that on a dirtbikes but its not the same in my opinion. i give bikes credit for huge air, freestyle, acceleration and power to weight ratio. once again those arent my top ten and i have nothing against dirtbikes... just against the ppl with dirtbikes who think they are so much better than us atv owners. its cool tho.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:18 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: strongtyer
remeber that those top 10 were just some that i found on a site. not my personal opinions. i have nothing agains dirtbikes. the main thing i like about atv's vs. dirtbikes is that with a quad you can whip the back around, do donuts, powerslides, etc. you may be able to do some of that on a dirtbikes but its not the same in my opinion. i give bikes credit for huge air, freestyle, acceleration and power to weight ratio. once again those arent my top ten and i have nothing against dirtbikes... just against the ppl with dirtbikes who think they are so much better than us atv owners. its cool tho.

It's cool strongtyer, Just was humored by the thought that some one would call me and my cr500 d-0-r-k-y in the sand.. I really dont understand what the us vs them deal is all about. I think the quads percieved safety is a part of the problem . You dont hear about to many people putting their 11 year old on a cr500, but you hear horror stories frequently about some one putting their 11yr old on a banshee. The quad appears safe, the dirt bike doesnt. that is why the CPSC only regulates quads, not dirt bikes. You can do all those things you listed on a dirt bike it just takes practice, on a quad at lower speeds it is easier, much easier. Problem is when the quad gets up to speed, in my opinion the quad gets more unstable. The rougher the ground the worse the situation for the quad. It has to pick a line about 3 1/2 feet wide. Dirt bike 6-7". At the places I ride I dont even really notice the quads, they do their thing, i do mine.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

It's cool strongtyer, Just was humored by the thought that some one would call me and my cr500 d-0-r-k-y in the sand.. I really dont understand what the us vs them deal is all about. I think the quads percieved safety is a part of the problem . You dont hear about to many people putting their 11 year old on a cr500, but you hear horror stories frequently about some one putting their 11yr old on a banshee. The quad appears safe, the dirt bike doesnt. that is why the CPSC only regulates quads, not dirt bikes. You can do all those things you listed on a dirt bike it just takes practice, on a quad at lower speeds it is easier, much easier. Problem is when the quad gets up to speed, in my opinion the quad gets more unstable. The rougher the ground the worse the situation for the quad. It has to pick a line about 3 1/2 feet wide. Dirt bike 6-7". At the places I ride I dont even really notice the quads, they do their thing, i do mine.[/quote]

thats a good point about the kids riding quads. didnt think of that. i know you can do a lot of the same things on bikes but its still not the same. not like a dirtbike has to be able to do all the same things. i just like the feel of a quad. you have some good points.

Old 02-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have owned both and like both but now days I would rather have a quad cause you can ride all year round. the only way your gonna ride a dirtbike all year round is to stud the tires and ride on the ice. there are pros and cons to both but I just prefer atv's over dirtbikes now but back when I was growing up I loved dirtbikes.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

i have a yz80 and a cr200 and a z400 and a scrambler. my personal expirience tells me dirt bikes hurt! I have crashed alot more on my dirtbikes then on my quads. That yz80 I have seems like it puts out more power than my Z and it goes 10mph faster than my Z also. Dirt bikes are Bada$$ if you good at riding them but i think i like my z400 better. Another thing* My old 1980sumthin honda 200 dbike weighs *** much as my Z, and it hurts when it lands on your leg. O well i like both and i would never cut down on dirt bikes because i love watching them race. I am planning to go to a supercross at the savvis center in st. louis thats coming up, its gonna be awesome.