help...riding boots what works?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 04:07 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help...riding boots what works?

My choices are:

Alpinestars Tech 4's with ATV sole for riding the utes in the mountains.

Alpinestars Tech 6's for desert cross-country sport bike riding.

Alpinestars Tech 8's for racing.

Of the three, the Tech 4's are the most flexable but also offer the least ankle protection.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're riding a sport quad, you should be wearing MX style boots. Even with nerf bars you are more likely to stick your foot out and run over it with your back tire. Even the pros get out of shape and stick their foot out for balance like they are on a dirt bike. On a utility you are far less likely to run over yourself so you can just wear a comfortable pair of hiking boots.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

I am gonna get rid of my black Alpinestar Tech 8's size 9 that are in great shape which I purchased in 2001 and have not worn more than 10 short rides. You know Tech 8 w/ the comfortable bootie insert.
Too much boot for me!

Old 04-16-2005, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider

I actually do my upshifts with the side of the boot, lay it in against the shifter and pull up. No way I can get a size 11 under it with riding boots. Down shift of course is easy. I wear them around a lot to try and get them more flexible but looks like it'll take a while.........

Old 04-16-2005, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
My choices are:

Alpinestars Tech 4's with ATV sole for riding the utes in the mountains.

Alpinestars Tech 6's for desert cross-country sport bike riding.

Alpinestars Tech 8's for racing.

Of the three, the Tech 4's are the most flexable but also offer the least ankle protection.
Well put, but you also need to add that the use can change based on what the rider is willing to spend, or how much a preferecne comfort may take over safety.

I like the tech6 over the other two due to the better protection, but still being a decent value as their not as pricey as the tech8 etc. but I only wish they would slap the sole from the tech4 on them too.

I dont have the tech4 but I do have an old pair of the m4 which are pretty close and also have the all terrain sole. They are deff more comfortable and less restrictive than either the t6 or t8, but still offer an unbelievable amount of additional protection over any work boot.

Anyone thinking of just using work boots who is riding at any kind of a serious pace needs to change their way of thinking because they just dont offer any kind of protection. Most all riding boots will not only protect your ankle but your lower leg and foot. I dont care if you catch a rock or tree branch or even one of those rocks that tilts just right after your front tire rolls over it and whacks you right in the foot or leg etc your just not protected in work boots.

Not to make it too long but every rider I know who thought he didnt need riding boots or just didnt like to have to work a little harder to shift etc has switched to riding boots after they hurt their foot or ankle. One even broke his ankle and lower leg in three places before he understood why he needed them.

Old 04-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

ive been looking at those rocky boots atv boots. they look ok if you get the ultimate one or what ever itr is becuase the others i think only have 2 buckles