break in period

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005 | 03:11 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default break in period

it says we have to take in our atv after 20 hours of use, and its a free check up and routine change of fluids, but we have about 24 hours on it, will anything be harmed do to this? motor probs? should i not ride it anymore?

Old 04-09-2005 | 03:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default break in period

Just get it in to your dealer as soon as you can, it's more of a guideline then a acctual cut off point (20 hours) they need to check to see how things are wearing and also adjust any problems.
It may void your warranty if you wait any longer. there is only so much a manufacturer can do to a machine and send it out the door,
I'm sure they just want to check out how your machine is doing to ensure that it has a long life.
your first service is also the most important service, you need to get the oil and filter changed because if there was or ever is any loose metals (microscopic due to the manufacturing process) inside the engine it will be during break-in, (20 hours)
if your machine makes it 20 hours and has the first service done you can pretty much be certian it's gonna last a long time.

Old 04-09-2005 | 06:11 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default break in period

ok thanks, i'm tempted to ride it, but further damage may come of that, so we just need to call the dealer and let them know we're coming, is it a sit and wait process or is it a take it in and go home and wait a few days ordeal? because i would not mind waiting around and looking at all the other toys i wish i had, the ones i don't already have i mean[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2005 | 12:34 AM
Trailblazer
Default break in period

A Honda dealer in upstate Wisconsin..hmmm most likely you will have to drop it off and return within a day or so depending on how fast the dealership is.
It's only about a 1/2 hour job, but you know dealers,
The longer they have your machine in thier shop the more likely you are to purchase more stuff while standing there.
I would think they could get you into the shop in the morning and have you out the door by noon.
If you live near Rhinelander Wi. take it to "Wheels in Motion" AKA Honda,
The head mechanic there ( Jeff ) is world class,He is the Honda Guru in those parts.
Not that your machine needs a great mechanic just for servicing.

Old 04-10-2005 | 01:07 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default break in period

You really should change your oil and filter after the first hour of riding, then again at 10 hrs. To late for you already! Do it as soon as possible. Your filter will be full of metal shavings, that came off the transmission and need to be anywhere except in your engine.

I always do a valve adjustment on a new bike, at 20 hrs.