nOOb questions....sort of...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nOOb questions....sort of...

Hello all!

OK, here's the deal: I've been a diesel tech for the last 16 years. I havedn't owned a motorcycle, dirtbike, or ATV for about that length of time - never seemed to have the money to get what I wanted. I am an experienced rider - I owned some bikes & ATV's when I was a teen - but I'm rusty. That's not really an issue though. My concern is that I don't really have any experience with 2-strokes or with ATV's/motorcycles in general from a maintenance/repair perspective. Sure, it's all just nut & bolts........but I'm used to diesels, not reed valves, slide carbs, clutch baskets, etc. So, I've got some "nOOb" questions that I hope can be answered here, as I now own a few of those "toys" I've been living without for the past 16 years or so. So, here goes......

1. Where's the best place for me to learn about 2-strokes - maintenance/repair/overhaul/diagnostics? For that matter, ATV's/bikes in general?
2. How difficult is it to replace fork seals on upside-down forks on a motocross bike ('98 YZ80)? Special tools? What type of fork oil and how much? Any advice?
3. Best transmission oil for a Banshee? A Blaster? The YZ80?
4. Suspension setup how-to advice (ATV's & motocross bikes)?
5. Easiest/best way to demount/mount ATV tires? Break the beads? Seal the beads if they leak?
6. Carb tuning/rebuilding/syncronization?
7. Valve adjustments on 4-strokes?

I'm sure there are many more questions that will pop into my head once I log off........but this will get me started. Thanks in advance - I've got alot of catching up to do!

Old 06-02-2005, 08:35 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: DieselTech
Hello all!

OK, here's the deal: I've been a diesel tech for the last 16 years. I havedn't owned a motorcycle, dirtbike, or ATV for about that length of time - never seemed to have the money to get what I wanted. I am an experienced rider - I owned some bikes & ATV's when I was a teen - but I'm rusty. That's not really an issue though. My concern is that I don't really have any experience with 2-strokes or with ATV's/motorcycles in general from a maintenance/repair perspective. Sure, it's all just nut & bolts........but I'm used to diesels, not reed valves, slide carbs, clutch baskets, etc. So, I've got some "nOOb" questions that I hope can be answered here, as I now own a few of those "toys" I've been living without for the past 16 years or so. So, here goes......

1. Where's the best place for me to learn about 2-strokes - maintenance/repair/overhaul/diagnostics? For that matter, ATV's/bikes in general?
2. How difficult is it to replace fork seals on upside-down forks on a motocross bike ('98 YZ80)? Special tools? What type of fork oil and how much? Any advice?
3. Best transmission oil for a Banshee? A Blaster? The YZ80?
4. Suspension setup how-to advice (ATV's & motocross bikes)?
5. Easiest/best way to demount/mount ATV tires? Break the beads? Seal the beads if they leak?
6. Carb tuning/rebuilding/syncronization?
7. Valve adjustments on 4-strokes?

I'm sure there are many more questions that will pop into my head once I log off........but this will get me started. Thanks in advance - I've got alot of catching up to do!

Welcome to the forum DieselTech, Hopefully I can be of some help.

1. Here
2. It is not real difficult but it is completely different than conventional forks. I have had the forks apart on the CR, WR, And KTM. All of them needed some special tools. I would get a shop manual for what ever it is you are working on and move slowly.
3. I have used Bel Ray Gear saver 80 wt in all my 2 strokes.
4. Here
5. Sorry but I only have one quad. I have run over atv tires with a car to break a bead before and have cleaned a leaking bead once too.
6. See # 1
7. See # 1
There is more engine tuning info at eric gorrs site than I am capable of understanding.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't really help you much, but I would start new topics for each question as you come to them.

-As for breaking beads on a quad, you almost have to have a bead breaker. Ive tried driving two trucks on each side of one and it didn't break.
-If you having trouble getting a good bead when reinstalling the tire to the rim, put a good amount of grease around the bead, and that should seal it good enough until the tire pops back on with a air hose.

And welcome to the forums!

Old 06-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Most tire shops will mount your tires for around $5-$10 each. Well worth letting them do it unless you have the time, patience, and tools to do it right. The very first thing that I would do in your situation is get a service manual for each machine (try and get the factory manuals, they are much more detailed) and look it over. That I how I learned to work on my bikes and quad. It only takes some getting use to, but its not hard.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

mywifesquad, motox26, and BigBadScrambler-

Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it! I'm working on the service manuals - ordered the YZ80 manual on Yammies website today, should see it by Tuesday. Then it's to the local dealer to order parts - gotta repl the fork seals..........

=)

~Ken

Old 06-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Hey DT, I to Work on BigRigs and i Own a Banshee. If you have Good Mech Skills then get a Manule Like they said and it won't be Hard to Figure it Out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]