STREET LEGAL - why not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-1999, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. people in Arkansas - you can find this info by going to http://www.state.ar.us/ then click on Arkansas Code and go through untill you come upon All Terrain Vehicles. It is section 27-21-101 thru 27-21-109. Or do an advance search for "All Terrain Vehicles" thru the search at the site. I would suggest anyone else just surf to your state's official site and look for your info there.

In Arkansas you CAN NOT operate any ATV on public streets or highways unless you meet one of the following circumstances regardless of what equipment or other modifications you make.

(1)ATV's may be operated on streets or highways if used for farming or hunting and it must be operated on streets or highway to get from one field to another.
(2)ATV may be operated if vehicle needs to make a direct crossing to get from one area to another if it comes to a complete stop and crosses at a 90 degree angle.
(3)Any person who has lost one or both legs above the ankle or has a serious walking handicap shall be permitted to operate an ATV as means of transportation when certain critia is met. (See the actual section for those criteria - don't want the post to run that long!)

This is just for Arkansas and these are not the sections in their entirety - but I imagine you can read for yourself your state statutes that cover this if you'll look for them.

This is the part I came back and edited! DON'T take this as the law and feel that you'll get away with it if you are stopped and tell the policeman it's legal because you are farming or hunting! There is a lot more to it than that! Go and read the complete law for yourself so you will know exactly what circumstances allow you to be on a public road! And if you are on the road legally or illegally - WATCH OUT FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE CARS! Regardless of if they are at fault or not, you won't come out of the accident very well on an ATV!

Sorry for the long post - but I cut it down as much as I could! (Took as much of the "Legalize" out as I could!)

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark Vinson (edited 08-21-1999).]

Old 08-22-1999, 04:02 PM
Trailblazer

ok. I am sorry I said all that. I was just in a bad mood that day. sorry again.

------------------

Old 08-22-1999, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

Recon, No hard feelings bud. We all have bad days. It would take alot more than that to get me riled up =)

------------------
Jeremy Cross

1993 Yamaha *turbo* t-wolf

Old 08-24-1999, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

I have seen a street legal Warrior and the only aftermarket acceseries it had were mirrers and a road liscence.

------------------
300ex... The Big Red Machine

Old 08-24-1999, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

i talked to my dads friend today and he is a cop. i asked him about laws for riding my quad on the road. he told me as long as i had one of those orange triangle on the back of my quad and called it a "farm vehicle" i could ride it on the road.

tony
'97 banshee

Old 08-26-1999, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can see both sides of the issue. I live in WV and don't ride on city streets or highways but i do ride on our road quite often. I don't know who it was that said something about a orange triangle but that is a good idea. Tractors are perfectly legal on city streets and highways (at least nobody's said otherwise around here) with this sign.

Also i can see where tree farmer was coming from with the whole lawsuit deal. I think it is wrong to be able to sue honda or any company b/c of your own stupidity but there are people out there like that that ruin it for the rest of it. that is the same reason they say that you should be 16 to ride a 4 wheeler over 90cc.

Don't get offended by my name. everything else was taken. i own a 99 Recon so i wouldn't stand a snowball's chance against a banshee.

Old 09-09-1999, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

Kevin,

I got the same email. That is a cool lookin quad. I cant tell what it is, Blaster, Banshee or Warrior i cant tell, but it sure does look mean.

It doesn't say how much or what quads they supply the kits for. It seems like a alright idea to me. I'm sure somebody'll buy it.

------------------
Jeremy Cross

1993 Yamaha *turbo* t-wolf

Old 09-10-1999, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer

Jeremy,
It's a Warrior

------------------
Kevin JA Works of Georgia

1996 Yamaha Warrior

Old 09-12-1999, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

Mark, so which leg did you cut off, right or left?