fIGHT BACK AGAINST RISING GAS PRICES

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fIGHT BACK AGAINST RISING GAS PRICES

Its funny how everyone think's rising gas prices are Bush's fault. It's not!
Are government, however dissagreable they may be to our own ideals is just about our only hope for getting gas prices back down.
I'm sorry to break it to you but 30 or 40 people on an ATV forum are not going to change gas prices.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:54 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: Gwinnwarrior
I read in a magazine that there is one way we can really hurt the oil industry.

One week, everyone drives 55 mph everywhere you go, most vehicles will use alot less gas if you drive 55 mph rather than 65-75 mph.

Dont know if this is true, but if everyone drives 55 all week, there will be alot less gas used, therefore alot less fillups.

Im game to trying that if anyone wants to set a date and see how many people will go along.
This is the best of any idea. SLOW DOWN. I've seen the old "nobody buy gas on X day/week, etc." That's useless. Everyone will stockpile, then fill up again. The only way to truly use less fuel, is to slow down. Make sure your vehicle is properly tuned and you tires are inflated to their proper pressure. For some short term you could add an extra pound or 2 to the tire, but don't exceed the tires limit. You'll reduce the rolling resistance enough that it could help over the course of a trip.

I myself have forced myself to not drive unless I have to. Take lunch to work, instead of running out and getting it. Those short runs to McD's are bad as the vehicle may never switch to closed loop condition (on newer cars that are fuel injected.)

IIRC, ever 5 MPH over like 60 (probably even 55) requires 10 percent more fuel. Another one, make sure you car is clean and waxed. Mud weighs more and increased the drag of the vehicle.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: Grizzman42
or we could get all of america not go to work or anywhere and stay home for a week or walk instead of drive! that sounds like an awsome idea but too bad it'll never happen, lol.
Staying home could have other unintended consequences on the economy.

or we could all fill up our trucks and stuff and then not pay for it.... just drive away. just make sure ur license plate is covered and ur good to go, haha.
So you're saying that we should commit felonies, and screw over our local gas station owner which doesn't do a thing to the oil companies? How does this logic work? Please explain. Local stations have zero control over what they charge. The companies that are making the money are the companies that are producing oil.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: muddog660
i think that if everyone in the US didn't buy gas for 1 single day it would impact oil companies enough to drop prices.....but like Grizzman42 said it'll never happen
That gimmick doesn't work. It only shifts the buying. It would actually probably cause prices to increase because of the shifted demand to another day.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
I think you have a great idea Gwinnwarrior, I slow down 10 mph(from 80 to 70 mph) when the price of reg gets over $2.50. Its between 2.75 and 3.00 now. My mileage increases from 21 to 25. I could probubly get close to 30mpg at 55 mph. The problem is that the majority of the people just like to complain, not actually do something.
That's the only true way to save fuel. And everyone complained about the old 55 MPH speed limit. How much less fuel do you use? I know you drive is like 60+ miles each way, isn't it?

Old 08-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: kawasaskirules
yea this sucks...if airhead bush was smart he would put money towards mass producing hydrogen cars
Hydrogen powered cars are some 20+ years off in the future. Plus there will be a huge outcry by the public about how dangerous they view the cars. <insert picture of Ford Pintos and GM "side saddle" gas tank trucks.>

Getting people to slow down, let off the accelerator is the best short term solution. If the demand falls, so will the prices. Demands drops, which increases stock on hand, which reduces the demand for crude oil to be refined.

Hybrids are a good start. Some have even begun to tinker with the regular hybrids and added charging units and extra batteries. On Prius has seen 250MPG.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: alwaysride
hey seibert51, no need to go bush crazy on us. You know how our goverment works. There are two parties, each party wants to have the most but really, you want it to be equal. If a party was all republican, like you would want since you think repubs are the best, things wouldnt work.Whatever bush said, it would go and i can tell ya that wouldnt be good. Bye the way, i like to here people dog bush.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Both parties are the same. They try to tell us they aren't, but they are. I just wish they'd buy some KY. (And I'm not talking about Real Estate in the south.)

Old 08-19-2005, 12:18 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
That's the only true way to save fuel. And everyone complained about the old 55 MPH speed limit. How much less fuel do you use? I know you drive is like 60+ miles each way, isn't it?
63 miles each way. Now 5 days a week. The OT will easily pay for the increased gas cost, but to me its the principal of the thing. I go from 420 miles a tank full to 500. Thats for just slowing down to the speed limit. 55mph for 10 miles. 70mph for approx 35 miles and 65 for the last 18. I usualy drive 10 -15mph over.
I'm way to impatient to go much slower. My time is pretty valuable to me and I like being home. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
Well I survived my first TRUE day of saving gas........................Drove my wifes 94 Geo Metro, 3 clinder 1L engine, 5 speed , no AC, radio sucks, Ect............to work.......drove at 55 (usually 75-80) and never mashed it to the floor (very off my norm !!!!!!) It was rough driving that go-cart.....but I am sick of buying 36 gallons of gas a week at these prices!
Reminds me of my aunts Chevy Sprint. The precursor to the Metro. 4 door hatchback. I remember the first time I lifted the hood and laughed. Told her if she ever wanted to bake some bread just take off the valve cover. About the size of a load pan. LOL It was a good car that treated her well, until her daughter drove it off of some ramps.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: Gopher500
heh...55 or 65, my truck wont make much of a diff....it might go from 9 to 8......
It's a difference that accumulates. And actually with the lower mileage (MPG wise) vehicles it makes a bigger difference. You'll push that up to 10-11, if not more.

Quick Reply: fIGHT BACK AGAINST RISING GAS PRICES