Riding in Sand ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-1999, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As i mentioned in another post, i will be vacationing in NC this june. We are planning on taking our quads. I am concerned about the sand and salt water !! Are there any precautions i can take, and how about what to do when I get home. Are there any certain areas I should concontrate on ?? Please help where you can ..
Thanks

------------------
Exer_95....Jason....95' Honda 300ex

Old 12-28-1999, 10:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I dont think you need to take any real "Extra" precautions, just the usual. Make sure everything is buttoned up real nice (filters, bolts, oil and tranny plugs, stuff like that. After you get back give them a thorough washing and you should be good to go. Have fun.

RoostKing

Old 12-28-1999, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Roost...

Another thing is, I will not have paddles to ride with. Will this be a BIG problem. I was thinking about using an old set, and using some sort of a rubber paddle (custom made from something) and mounting them to the tire, then using a tube inside the tire. What do you think ??

Thanks

------------------

Old 12-28-1999, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Roost...

Another thing is, I will not have paddles to ride with. Will this be a BIG problem. I was thinking about using an old set, and using some sort of a rubber paddle (custom made from something) and mounting them to the tire, then using a tube inside the tire. What do you think ??

Thanks

------------------

Old 12-28-1999, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

One more thing that you should do befor taking your quad to the sand is to get rid of any grease (from A-arm bushing, swing arm ext...) I used to wipe excess off and then wet a rag with simple green and go over it again. Another thing to think about is your chain. If you do not normally ride in the sand, then you probalbly used good ol' chain lube (you know the good sticky stuff! ) anyways, to be honest I'm not sure the best way to get that off but then you can relube it with some kind of "dry lub" there are several kinds. (also thinking about it I think WD-40 will clean your chain prior). As far as paddles go... if you want to be able to climb the dunes, you will want them, if your just gonna play around on the trails/beach you should do fine with out them. I myself have never seen ANY homade paddles that worked because of the shear abuse and pressure the "lugs" themselves take I don't think that you'll be able to keep them attached to the tire. Some places around here will rent them, or just buy a set and get them mounted on your stock wheels. just a thought

any ways have a blast!

Brad

Old 12-28-1999, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

No, paddles are not absolutely necessary, I recently went to Little Sahara with only Holeshots on my 400EX and it was fine, paddles would probably have been better, but...

Make sure to clean and lube the bike **EXTREMELY** well after riding in the salt & sand. I have a buddy that lives in NC and last time I saw is '99 400EX after riding in the salt & sand, I couldn't believe the amount of corrosion. At this point it was all superficial, but it really looks bad and can be avioded.

I would take a can of WD-40 after cleaning thoroughly and spray & wipe off anywhere where salt can hide and on any bare metal surfaces (except brake rotors ). One problem area on the 400EX was where the tubes of the frame are pinched and welded, the salt caused nasty looking corrosion in those areas. The cast swingarm got it as well.

Also keep in mind that wet sand is very hard on plastic too.

Gabe
'86ATC250R
'86ATC350X
'00TRX400EX

Old 12-28-1999, 12:53 PM
Range Rover

I would take a hose with you so you can spray it off everyday after you ride, we were just down at the NC coast and there is no need for paddles, your tires will work fine. When you get home take off your plastic and do a scrub down on everything, I just took off all of my plastic to take my swingarm off and I saw alot of sand and this black mud still on my atv. I have washed it a couple of times since the beach but never had the plastic off so alot was hidden.

------------------
Steve Thompson 99 Scrambler 500 http://briefcase.yahoo.com/myscrambler

Old 12-28-1999, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

I took a toothbrush and scrubed the chain off after riding in the sand. As stated double check grease fittings (if there are any on a Honda) & filter. Paddle tires are not neccassary at all. I saw 300EXs getting around just fine at the dunes.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.