Rhinos ruining single track trails?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rhinos ruining single track trails?????

Dirt bikers HATE quads, because our machines can have the effect of widening trails that were once nice challenging single track. Now the Rhino's have come along, and can quickly ruin the quad single tracks by widening them!

Standard quad trails in this state are 50". The Rhino is nominally 54.5" wide, but lots of machines are running rims with greater offset than stock, so many can be considerably wider than that.

I ride where there is a lot of dirt bike single track, and as a courtesy to my dirt bike brothers, I just stay off their trails so I don't ruin it for them. Wouldn't hurt if Rhino drivers would show the rest of the world the same courtesy!

Old 07-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If thats the worse thing to worry about there recon, then I say you have a pretty good gig going on.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wider trail = more room to slide the back end[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Can't we all just get along?

Old 07-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know about ATV's on single track, it seems that those trails are far too narrow to allow anything besides a dirt bike, but I would say that would be very destructive, since you're talking about increasing a trail from a few inches to a large double path.

Now, as far as Rhinos, I keep mine stock for the simple reason that it won't fit through the ATV gates here if it's even an inch or two wider.
The ATV trails that I do ride on fit the Rhino with no problem, and my tires in no way extend past the edge of the trail, which is always a little wider than an ATV anyway since the riders typically never stay in the precise path cut by previous riders. I do take care to not go so fast that I can't stay on the dirt.

The opposite argument is also true, and far more of an impact to all of us.
Namely, the incredibly, unbelievably, moronically stupid concept of banning ATV's (and Rhinos, and dirt bikes) from most of the gorgeous roads and trails marked as "street legal vehicles only". This is so frustrating to me that I am close to ditching the Rhino and buying one of the new Jeep Wranglers when they come out in the fall. I am so sick of being descriminated against by many of these self-rightous rangers who think everyone with a green sticker is out to do donuts in the endangered daisies.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I say let the Rhinos run our trails!!! **** id rather have the trail 2 feet wider... its kinda anoying with all kinda of branches in your way... and on some tight trail there isno room to gor around huge ruts......

you kinda make no sence.... like 4.5 inches is the end of the world woohoo idk if a truck drives down te trail.......... aslong as they dont hit me i dont care....

Old 07-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 4.5 inches doesn't seem like much (and like I said, most machines are considerably wider than that anyway), but when you take into account the heavy weight of the Rhino and things like wheelspin, the potential for damage is much greater.

There is a place in my local mountains where there is a gate that is 50" wide, so larger vehicles are excluded. The Rhinos have torn down the fence next to it, and they are ruining the best trail that there are in So. Calif. (single track woods trails are EXTREMELY rare around here!). Add to that these are 2-way trails, so you are going to have to cooperate with anybody you meet on the trail in order to pass (and the dirt bikers are already pissed-off at having to meet quads on the trails). Of course, the Rhinos just barge on through with an "everybody better get out of my way" attitude. (But, when they dump one of these off the cliff, it's going to be a spectacular crash!)

And, it's just a matter of time until some Rhino driver gets the crap beaten out of him by a group of pissed-off dirt bikers!

Old 07-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recon, you should ride a dirtbike, you sound just like the hardcore dirtbike riders. You ride quads, and dirtbikers generally don't like quads, and Im sure you don't like it, but yet you will complain about the same thing dirtbikers do, but about Rhino's instead?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] It's like you just want to complain. Where do you suggest the side x sides to go? A Rhino isn't going to do any more damage than a quad. And do you think there is no wheel spin with a quad? I ride a lot of dirtbikes and a Rhino doesn't even bother me.

I think dirtbike riders are ridiculous for when they belittle quads, but this is absurd!

And exactly how does a quad lay down a single track?

Old 07-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer

Tearing down a gate is unacceptable, no question.

But the only other solution to what you're describing is another ban.

There will always be those who tear everything up ***** nilly, no matter what they drive/ride.

And there will always be those who propose tighter restrictions, and those who propose no restricitons.

In my opinion, we have far too many restrictions around here as it is, and complaining to local authorities about a particular group of users will usually only do one thing, namely draw negative attention to the whole off road group as a whole, provide ammunition to the environmentalists, and close down more trails entirely.

Just remember, the way you feel about Rhinos (and quads now, to some extent) is the exact same way many people feel about dirt bikes and all off road vehicles in general...

Old 07-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

People who ride horses and hike those "single" trails hate the motorcycles, and want the trails closed to them. By your logic, no one should be on the trail because it might be used for something or someone else. We all have a right to use the land, and to close it off to any group is wrong. What about jeeps and monster trucks, dune buggies. There is always something larger, But you take the good with the bad or you risk using all rights to it. There are enough people trying to limit access, do not give them any help!!!!

Chris

Old 07-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: layman
People who ride horses and hike those "single" trails hate the motorcycles, and want the trails closed to them. By your logic, no one should be on the trail because it might be used for something or someone else. We all have a right to use the land, and to close it off to any group is wrong. What about jeeps and monster trucks, dune buggies. There is always something larger, But you take the good with the bad or you risk using all rights to it. There are enough people trying to limit access, do not give them any help!!!!

Chris
Yes! Common sence is not lost by all!

Fred[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Rhinos ruining single track trails?????