Pitbulls ain't got nothin' on my Bullmastiff

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitbulls ain't got nothin' on my Bullmastiff

I figured that'd get some replies, I was just talking off the cuff and my own opinion. Every rott I've ever been around has been aggressive under the surface. Our neighbor had one that my kids were around from the time it was a puppy, it got older and got mean and ended up biting one of my kids. My older son has a friend with one of those things, and they talk about what a great family pet it is, and the damn things mean and bites people it doesn't know.

I'm saying me personally, I'd rather not own one and don't have any use for them, maybe I'll change my mind someday when I have other experiences if that happens. But a big dog that can maim and disfigure a kid in four seconds and is bred to be aggressive? Not me pal.

I will also qualify this with the fact that growing up we owned german shepards, and my last dog I had for fifteen years was a doberman/lab mix. It was a runt, topped out at 50 pounds, and was extremely smart, gentle and a fabulous dog. Does that make me a hypocrite? Heck I dunno, but that dog did on a couple of occasions take after people with no real obvious reason.

Watch the news, and every time you hear of somebody being mauled and tore all up from a dog it's one of those pitt bulls or other aggressive bred dogs.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Yep...one bit yesterday here in pittsburgh

www.wpxi.com/news/9651985/detail.html

Old 08-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

have u ever noticed that when u hear about dog bitings, it's usually the family's own pet? and i don't have "aggressive" breeds if u want to get stereotypical, (two goldens and a lab) but i know that if need be, they'll be hell to whoever's bothering me or my family.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
I figured that'd get some replies, I was just talking off the cuff and my own opinion. Every rott I've ever been around has been aggressive under the surface. Our neighbor had one that my kids were around from the time it was a puppy, it got older and got mean and ended up biting one of my kids. My older son has a friend with one of those things, and they talk about what a great family pet it is, and the damn things mean and bites people it doesn't know.

I'm saying me personally, I'd rather not own one and don't have any use for them, maybe I'll change my mind someday when I have other experiences if that happens. But a big dog that can maim and disfigure a kid in four seconds and is bred to be aggressive? Not me pal.

I will also qualify this with the fact that growing up we owned german shepards, and my last dog I had for fifteen years was a doberman/lab mix. It was a runt, topped out at 50 pounds, and was extremely smart, gentle and a fabulous dog. Does that make me a hypocrite? Heck I dunno, but that dog did on a couple of occasions take after people with no real obvious reason.

Watch the news, and every time you hear of somebody being mauled and tore all up from a dog it's one of those pitt bulls or other aggressive bred dogs.

again how many is "every"? is every 1-5. in ten years it's safe to say i've been around well over 1k dogs. out of those 1k MAYBE 5-10% would bite me. the rest wanted to play, mind you these are dogs that either have never seen me or have seen me on a couple of occassions.

you say your kid was bit by the rott. my question is did your kid do something to the other kid? was he aggressive with him, did he hit him, etc? again most of these dogs have the internal drive to protect their own. so if they see a situation to where they think one of their pack is being harmed the instinctively step in and protect. you can't fault the dog for that. you fault the owner. that situation is not the dog's fault it is the owners fault. the owner should have known that his/her dog was very protective and shouldn't have let the dog around other kids in a situation where the dog could misinterpret playing as aggressive behaviour.

as far as the media they look for rotts and pits to bite someone. if you are to look up which dogs hold the title of biting the most people on a yearly basis it is: dalmations, dobermans, GERMAN SHEPHERDS, LABS. pits just cause more damage. i will definately agree to that. that is why only a certain person should these breeds, because the responsibility factor is really huge. no one cares if a lab bites someone, no one cares if a collie bites someone. no one wants to ban those breeds but if a pit does it oh my god!! the owners 90% of the time are at fault not the dog. they know how the dog is and they don't take the proper percautions to make sure nothing bad happens.

you don't have to like the dogs. again i would never try to get you to like the dogs, all i want you to do is to truly look at the situation and do you say it is the dogs fault or is it the owners fault? you don't have to own one of these breeds and it is safe to say that you should use caution in letting your kids be around those breed without adult supervision or the dog being contained. there are measures that need to be taken with these breeds but that doesn't make them any less of a good pet. personally i would never own a peek-a-poo or a chiuahua(sp) or a lab. those dogs don't apeal to me in the least bit. currently i don't own any pits or rotts i have a bluetick coonhound. some think they are horrible pets because they are so loud. each dog has their vice's that doesn't mean that they should be put to death.

did you take the test? again how can you say to condemn all pitts and rotts and you possablly can't even pick one out?

Old 08-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer

Have had and raised dogs all my life.We have English Mastiffs and Mastiff/Rotti cross they are awsome dogs.One of the worst dogs I ever had was a chow.Raise a brother and sister and the male turned on me at 7 months.He was placed in a new home and ended up biting several more people in his life time and was put down.The sister on the other had didnt have a mean bone in her body any where and never ever showed any signs of being any thing but lovable.
Also had a red heeler that was a killer fron he!! and would bite anyone,big or small.So I say dont sterotype any breed.
My point is this it can happen in any breed at any time.A dog is a dog and any thing can happen.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

Got a 6 month english bully and he weighs about 55 lbs the absolute most fun dogs ive ever owned my friend has a purple ribbon american pitbull terrior love that dog like its my own and the only thing its agressive twoards is cats. the dog was raised around lots of people and was always played with. he plays ruff with adults but is very gentle with children. just saying i have nothing against pits but when it comes to my kids would much rather my kid be tugging on my bullys ears or a golden retriver then a pit or rott just my opinion.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Range Rover

People just put labels on dogs.One of my dogs is a 25lb mutt and he can be the nicest dog if you nice to him if your not be becomes the dog from hell.Might be small but has no fear and when his pi$$ed he`ll stand his ground to any other dogs or anyone.I`ve helped raise him from the day he was born, and one day he didn`t like me trying to punish him and bite my right hand, had a bite mark on the palm and back off my hand and a 2 inches cut on my middle finger, right after he showed me that he won`t take anything from me he was nice again.I`ve got friends who won`t come in my ouse if he is there because he don`t know them and there in his house.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Believe me when I say I saw a Chihuahua Kill a pitbull. Yup it's the Truth pitt Ran up and attacked the poor little dog. all I heard was a growl a small Yelp then the Pitt was laying there dead. it took about 5 minutes to pull the little dog out of the pit's Throat. lol ok that was stupid sorry. not!

Old 10-07-2006, 12:23 PM
TPR
The Champ

I'm glad when dogs don't fight.

TPR