Valvoline ATV oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:27 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvoline ATV oil

-

Raptor,

I said I mis-stated when I said Valvoline was not very good oil. In fact, I used to use it for about 20 years. However, regardless of your experience, I stand by my stating that synthetic oils (of which Valvoline MC and ATV oils apparently are NOT) are a better quality than petroleum based oils.

GJRonK

Old 10-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

Well I certainly did not want to start any debates or have anyone have any hard feelings. I appreciate the input from everyone, and as one stated before, it is like deciding what is better, Ford or Chevys.

From what I have read, it seems at though synthetics tend not to break down as fast as petroliums...that being said however, most people change their oil prior to it actually breaking down. Frequent oil changes are more for the junk, dirt, metal, and whatnot in the oil as opposed to the oil having broken down. I think petroliums are proven as well as synthetics... the only thing I don't understand...is why synthetics cost more (MARKETING!).

Old 10-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GJRonK
-

Raptor,

I said I mis-stated when I said Valvoline was not very good oil. In fact, I used to use it for about 20 years. However, regardless of your experience, I stand by my stating that synthetic oils (of which Valvoline MC and ATV oils apparently are NOT) are a better quality than petroleum based oils.

GJRonK

And you are entitled to that opinion. I just don't see the sense in running expensive synthetic just to turn around and dump it after a 4 day dune trip when I have 3.00 a quart oil that does the job just fine. Now in my 99 Super Duty PSD I run the Valvoline Synthetic Engine Oil with stellar results.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I just don't see the sense in running expensive synthetic just to turn around and dump it after a 4 day dune trip when I have 3.00 a quart oil that does the job just fine.
That's the same logic I use with Rotella. I've used Rotella in everything from a lawn mower to a N2O injected big block. I was criticized for not using "high tech" oil in my race motors and my quad. I say I have never had an oil related failure in any engine I have built with the buck 50 oil I use so why change? What did the racers do before they came out with "high tech expensive" oil? They used regular ol' dino oil and they did fine.
One guy on this board says he changes his big buck synthetic oil every 6 hours!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha......I wish I lived near him. I would take that oil and dump it in any engine I have and run it for a hundred hours or so and dump it.

IMHO people need to think more about and service their air cleaners more and worry less about their oil. I can take any oil on the market and dump it in an engine and run the **** out of it for many many hour with no problems. Take that same engine and take the air cleaner off and run it off road for a few hours and then do a leak down and see what's up. JUNK ENGINE.

I say if you have oil related failures in your engines you need to look in a mirror or have a little talk with your machinist. When I start having oil related failures, that is when I will think about changing to the expensive stuff.

And I thought I would never agree with anybody about oil and along comes RaptorRandy27.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

And I thought I would never agree with anybody about oil and along comes RaptorRandy27.

Lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I have had good old regular every day oil so diluted with Nitro that it looked like a milkshake and would back you right away from it as soon as the smell hit you and the bearings still looked good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Range Rover

-
Well, Raptor,

It sounds like you are a helluva'n engine rebuilder!! I hope you're around when I need one done.

GJRonK

Old 10-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GJRonK
-
Well, Raptor,

It sounds like you are a helluva'n engine rebuilder!! I hope you're around when I need one done.

GJRonK
I believe I detect a note of sarcasm [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Range Rover

I am no oil expert, my experience has been good with all different brands. I ran the cheapest oil I could find in my 1994 saturn(i bought it new) and kept that car until 2002 and never had a problem.

I did have a bad experience in mixing gas types(same octane), but getting it from different companies. Now I only buy exxon/mobil gas and my trucks seems to run great.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Range Rover

-
Raptor,

Nope, it was a compliment.

GJRonK

Old 10-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

valvoline atv oil is fine, aslong as your changing oil whan your suppose too, your engine will last a long time, my father inlaw has 2 mid 80 honda 3wheelers that have been abused from the kids, grand kids and myself, never used synthetic, and they never been rebuilt, ive never used synthetic in any of my stuff, 2 , 3 wheelers, 5 , 4 wheelers, 3 motorcycles, and 3 snowmobiles over the last 20 years, aslong as you change oil when your suppose too, this and other non synthetic oils are fine.

oh i forgot to mention my 96 chevy s10 iv been using citgo oil for the last 5 years,

209,000 miles only thing fixed head gasket, ball joints, i guess i got my money out of it, still drive it 60 miles a day to and from work.

1989 chevy suburban never used synthetic 170,000 miles

i guess what im saying is regular oil is as good as synthetic if you do your oil changes, hope this doesnt get the synthetic oil guys mad but i dont believe synthetic is any better than than the other oil you just need to keep up on mantience.