Polaris ATV help. Several questions !

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris ATV help. Several questions !

Hey I'v been working in my polaris 400 xplorer 1999 for about 6 weeks. I'm in need of some help now because things are getting more confusing as I dig deeper...
No battery because it was left dead due to winter. After getting the carb cleaned and new needle and seat, spark plug, fuel filter and adjusted ETC and throttle cable it works, runs decent and idles fine.. Now during my exploration I ran the xplorer a few short quick rides to see how brakes and carb held up.
My problems seem to be that it MAY have overheated because fan not kick on? My rectifier melted and stopped working, and at the same time it appears to me that my oil res tank smells like there's fuel in it.. ( 2stroke) ..
Another problem my awd does not work so I did a speedo by pass ( I took photos if ya need) .. My awd light on switch still did not light up; could be because of my reciter- voltage regulator?? Just have lots if questions could I get some help it's starting to wear me down and become pain in the butt.
If my AWD is by pass by removing the brown white wire (e) wire on the clip and grounded that should have worked..??.. I have read many bypass on this site so don't ask me to do a search. I have been very very active trying to search and fix but poor search results! Plz help thx ok guess I cannot post photos????

Old 03-30-2015, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh btw, no lights, no awd, no electric start obviously cuz not battery, no lights for neutral reverse etc. Should lights and awd etc work when the atv is running?? Or does it have to come of battery too? Just another thought that I have been struggling with! Parts are expensive to get and pretty hard to find for my model.. And dealership pricing is 1000% markup . Example a new needle and seat they try to charge 79 bucks but for 89 on ebay I could get my mikuni 34mm spigot mount carb for 89 bucks and that obviously has all my jets, needle etc! Any help to do my own work means a lot Ty!!

Old 03-31-2015, 11:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Man you need the service manual,you have too many problems happening at the same time! A 5 buck manual can help you with all the electrical and mechanical problems you're having. Take them step by step.DOWNLOAD 1996-2003 Polaris Worker/Sportsman/Xplorer 400/500 Repair ...