ATVs are dangerous

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atvs are like guns...use them right, respect them, and know how to properly operate them. in doing so, you'll have a tool that can help you in time of need if not then get ready for the dirt nap. anyhow people that stupid shouldn't be let out of the hospital. i may drive like a lunatic as long as i feel comfortable with my situation and if i get the slightest feeling of anxiety i don't perform a certain stunt. common sense, common sense, common sense that's all it takes.

texascat

Old 10-02-2001, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have been watching this volleyball of a topic looking for a concensus, but still don't think I have found it. Yesterdays paper had a brief item - 15 year old killed on ATV - limited details available.
Are the parents responsible? This is the 3rd or 4th ATV related death around here in the past year.
Here is why I ask. I have a 16 year old stepson. He refused to waste his time taking safety training for a year. He finally relented to let me give him some training. It was a struggle. He previously had broken the rules by riding double with young kids on ATVs. He was told as a final warning in my training of him that the rules/laws must be obeyed or riding priveleges will be lost. He didn't ride for a year resisting the safety training. Within a month of my training and his agreeing to abide by the rules, he rode double again. Okay, no one got hurt - so is it okay then? the stats quoted note that 25% of deaths were related to riding double. Am I at fault for insisting on safety and somehow am siding with "Big Brother" or would I be at fault for saying kids will be kids and could get hurt crossing the street so let him do whatever he wants?
Question 2, I attended a large party where a new ATV was brought and novice users were taking turns riding and giving rides to children. 1 as young as 6 weeks old. This wasn't my ATV or my family but my family is exposed to this and pressured by this to let my kids be kids....
I enjoy my ATV and hope you all do also, but I think there is either an arrogance or lack of sense in way too many people who are buying and using ATVs. I am refering mostly to novice users, not you skilled riders so please don't take offense and pounce on my questions as if I was trying to limit all riders and all ATVs.

Old 10-15-2001, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

theres a big misconception between dangerous and STUPIDITY

Old 10-22-2001, 06:06 PM
zoo
Pro Rider

This is one of those debates that will go until the end of the earth. If it's not mothers against quads then it's naturalists against off road vehicles, or some sort of garbage like that, or it is just a family who lost someone and are trying to move blame to the machine, because it couldn't possibly be their fault. The fact is, quads account for a very small percentage of deaths, where as cars for example account for a very large percent, be it drunk driving, falling asleep at the wheel or whatever, but you don't see those whackos trying to ban all cars. That's because they need their transportation to get to their next rally. Hey, when Christopher Reeves (Superman), was thrown from a horse and paralyzed, the nut cases didn't rally to have all horses destroyed/banned. They need to be consistant or shut up.

Face it, everything we do in life has some sort of risk, get a helmet!

Old 10-27-2001, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

FKNA
Must say you have a Beautiful Wife...not to mean any disrespect.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]