Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Something else to consider is the Hemi's availability vs. the Lightning. How many Lightnings are produced every year? The Ford will likely have less depreciation as well. I do, however, believe the Dodge is the better VALUE.

Old 06-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

I picked up a Dodge yesterday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].Its not as bad as I thought it would be on gas.My old ride was a nissan frontier V6 and its not to far off from that.I think for a v6 it was a gas guzzler.When I pulled the 12x6 inclosed trailor it realy burned the gas.Im likeing the HEMI so far.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

YOU ARE SO RIGHT, DODGE WILL ALWAYS STAY ON TOP OF THAT RIGHT................IT ONLY TOOOK THEM AROUND TEN YEARS TO DEVELOPE A TRUCK THAT COULD OUTRUN THE LIGHTNING. AS I HAVE SEEN THEY STILL DONT HAVE IT ON THE STREET. BYE THE WAY, ARE YOU THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERING FOR DODGE THAT YOU KNOW THEY HAVE A 600 HUNDRED HORSEPOWER MOTOR ON THE SHELF JUST WAITING FOR AN OPPURTUNITY. ALSO THE FORD AND CHEVY ARE BOTH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE DODGE BUT THEY ALSO ARE BOTH LIMITED PRODUCTION TRUCKS WHICH ARE A LOT NICER ON THE EYES THAN THE SAME OLD DODGE LOOK. THEY ALSO HAVE INTERIOR'S THAT TOTALLY OUTCLASSES THE PLAIN SQUARE DODGE LOOK.

I JUST TRADED A DODGE DAKOTA RT YESTERDAY WHICH HAD GIBSON HEADERS, AN M1 PERFORMANCE INTAKE MANFOLD, A K AND N INTAKE KIT, HIGH FLOW CATS, GIBSON DUALS, LOW TEMP T-STAT, AUTOLITE 3293 SPARKPLUGS. DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT DID NOT DO ANYTHING THAT IMPRESSERD ME LIKE THE LIGHTNING I TRADED IT IN FOR. I AM HERE TO TELL ALL OF THE NON BELIEVERS THAT DODGE DOES NOT YET HAVE A TRUCK ON THE ROAD THAT IS EVEN CLOSE TO THAT LIGHTNING.

Old 06-25-2003, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

From the Dodge web site on the SRT-10:

EXCESS DOSE OF VIPER POWER
Most Powerful Production Pickup Ever | No Angel | The 500 Club | Mayhem-Making Ability
ex · cess n. 1. action or conduct that goes beyond the usual, reasonable or lawful limit.

Chicago, Ill., - If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. So only Dodge could create the boldest, baddest and fastest full-size pickup ever, the Viper-powered 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10.

Taking its rightful place as the ultimate performance pickup, the 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 brings a massive dose of Viper power to the performance pickup segment, with a class-demolishing 500 horsepower and 525 lb.-ft. of torque. Topping 150 mph in maximum speed and reaching 60 mph in approximately five seconds, Dodge has recalibrated all expectations for truck performance.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

Time will tell if Dodge has the "Ultimate" sport truck out there (the Lightning has been around since 93 with a good record)...I see they are going with a different tranny than they've ever used. They know better than throwing a crapy Dodge tranny into it. Its going to be hard to launch that truck (with the 5spd) and get good 60ft times, and quick numbers...if I punch my Lightning on the street I might as well hand the cash over because all I'm going to do is spin, and I have an automatic which is easier to launch. Big horsepower and torque numbers are just that...they look great on paper, I'd like to see the gearing in the tranny to get an idea how close the ratios are...at any rate we'll see if they can actually beat down the Lightning...I know Lightning owners are looking forward to racing this "Ultimate truck". Like totalpackage said...its taken 10 years for chevy or dodge to even try to compete with the Lightning the chevy doesn't come close, and dodge...they're just alot of talk right now, when they back it up then I'll concede....at any rate what the heck took so long....competition makes you better, Ford management said bring it on!

Old 06-26-2003, 01:15 AM
Range Rover

B4THUNDER, the Silverado SS was out in '89 before ford even knew what a sport truck was, and your talking about it has taken chevy 10 years to keep up with the lightning? The '89 though what was it '93? I can't remember had impressive power for a gov regulation exhaust and everything eles they had in the late 80s and early 90s. The 454ci engine was producing 250hp and 405ft/lb torque if my numbers are correct and i think they are. Thats enough torque to smoke um from a dead stop, and impressive 1/4 mile times for that time period for a truck. Yea the lightning will beat the 03 SS in a race, but thats no reason to be bashin CHEVROLET. I like Fords, but i hate some Ford owners, they think the only truck on the road should be Ford. Because everything eles is a piece of **** if they dont do it like Ford, and dont say it isnt so, I know people like this, even have friends like this. Also the Dodge SRT-10 i guess is going to suck also because its a Dodge huh? Yall are so damn scared to Admit thats its going to be a very sweet truck. Yall Ford owners have to make up some reason to bash something eles. I saw the new lightning coming out and it looked like a pretty awesome machine and the SRT-10 is going to be hot also. Oh and Chevy has got something up there sleeve with the Silverado SS, I dont think its going to be the slowest of the sport trucks to much longer, GM want let it happen.

Peace out Long live General Motors

Old 06-26-2003, 01:26 AM
Range Rover

Ford Management said bring it on? Theres no reason for GM to bring it on, there already on top! There only the biggest Automobile Industry in America, so I think FORD needs to bring it on! And go ahead and make an excuse why they should be on top Ford owners, I know your going too.

Im sorry, but I get so angry when Ford fans bash something eles. Guess what Ford might have of come out first, but they sure as hell aint the best, Chevy or Dodge isnt either. Its only peoples opinions, so Ford owners dont kid your self all the time! And I know imma pay for all I just said but I dont know care, just sick of some people.

Old 06-26-2003, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

FIRST OF ALL IT IS NOT THE INDUSTRY IT IS THE MANUFACTURER. NOW YOU SAID THE 454 SS RIGHT. IT IS A REAL CONTENDER. 0-60 IN 7.2 SECONDS...................DID YOU SAY 454 CID? OH WHAT A MINUTE AS I RECALL THE GEN 1 LIGHTNING WAS A 351 WHICH ALSO DISPLAYED A 7.2 SECOND 0-60. I WOULD BE PROUD OF THAT EXTRA 103 CUBIC INCHES IT REALLY MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE. JUST REMEMBER THAT I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT CHEVY JUST DODGE. THIS LIGHTNING I BOUGHT IS THE FIRST FORD I HAVE EVER OR PROBABLY WILL EVER OWN. BECAUSE IT IS A SEXY RIDE AND IT IS FAST AND IT IS ALOT CHEAPER THEN THE PROSPECTIVE SRT 10 PRICES. I HAVE OWNED A TRUCK MADE BY ALL OF THE BIG THREE AND ONE THING I KNOW IS THEY ALL WILL RUN GOOD IF YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM, AND IF YOU BUY TH RIGHT ONE THEY ALL CAN LOOK GOOD TOO.

Old 06-26-2003, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SS 454 only ran the quarter .2 faster than the original Lightning. 103 cubic inches less. Does Dodge use disc brakes yet? OH! They do on the front? Who's transmission are they going to use to put all that power to the ground, and for how long? Do they have more than one cross member?, not counting the bumpers. Will they ever be able to hire an engineer that can design a clutch that doesn't slip? They build an engine and it all stops at the flywheel.

Dodge is antiquated. Drive all three. There is a reason they are several thousand dollars less the Ford or Chevrolet.

You want a fast American built car; buy a new Ford GT 40. It is not just a concept; it will be released in 2005. Bye Bye Corvette and Viper.

"GT40 is the ultimate Living Legend," explains J Mays, Ford vice president of Design. "It’s a true supercar with appeal equal to that of the greatest sports cars in the world, but with the addition of a heritage no one can match. Essential elements of the original – including the stunning low profile and mid-mounted American V-8 – continue in this latest interpretation of the classic."

"We could build a 200-mph supercar and fill it with a range of cutting-edge technologies, but it wouldn't be Ford GT40," says Coletti. "But rest assured: If this car meets an Italian exotic on a winding road or finds itself at a stoplight next to an American muscle car, it will have no trouble defending its honor."

Today’s MOD 5.4-liter V-8 builds on that heritage. In this application, the largest V-8 in Ford's modular engine family produces 500 horsepower at 5250 rpm and 500 foot-pounds of torque at 3250 rpm. Both figures are comparable to those of the 7-liter engine that won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966 and 1967.

Or doesn't the GT40 count because it costs more than the others? Why does it take Dodge a great big V-10 to keep up with a little 330 cubic in V-8? A super charger? Someone let Dodge in on the secret. Technology vs. No technology. I'll bet that new SRT-10 will be economical too. Just hope Ford doesn't decide to warm up their V-10.

There is a reason there are more Ford trucks on the road than any other, year after year after year after year after year. Say what you want, the others are number two and three.

Old 06-26-2003, 03:16 AM
Range Rover

Please excuse me I mean Manufacturer and I dont really care if you dint say anything about Chevy. Bye bye Corvette and Viper? Thats what you want or think is going to happen, but is it? No. Do you think Ford is the only one thinkin, well that what it looks like. The GT-40, yea its nice. 0-60 in 3.5secs and a 1/4 time of 11.8. Price is $149,000, hmmmm NO. The Z06 aint much slower than that right now and its has 95 less HP, whole lot cheaper and really I THINK its a better looking car. Yea and its about time for ford to redesign there F-150 cause there 4.6 and 5.4 wasnt kickin out no damn HP at all. Pushrods Kick ***, but I dont think chevy is going to keep on making pushrods. The 4.6 and 5.4 Fords are very good engines, but there lacking HP. Going ahead and say that aint so either but its true.

Are the Chevy fans out there scared to speak? Am I the only one that aint scared to stand up and speak?

Quick Reply: Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv