Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Total Package..chill with the caps.

The GT40 is F.U.G.L.Y.

Also, whoever it was talking about the Dodge frame, I do believe the heavy duty has the highest GCVW in its class. I had 3500 lbs of rock in the back of mine and I couldn't even tell it was back there. Also the largest brakes as well...disc too, believe it or not.

Anyway, I sure wish I didn't subscribe to this thread in its early stages...my e-mail is sure getting a workout.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah that new Dodge Ram Hydroformed Frame is awsome. It is smaller than Chevies but it actually can carry more than chevy or Ford( ford doesn't even have a hydroformed frame yet). The numbers say Dodge can't carry as much. My uncle does testing on these vehicles. He works at the proving grounds of GM and he worked at Daimlerchrysler as well. He tested both 2003 models and the chevy broke an axle at 6,500 lbs with the 1 ton. Dodge broke an axle at 7,200 lbs. Ford didn't get close to that. They were at 5,600 when they broke an axle.

Yeah i wish i hadn't subscribed either. My email is loaded everyday from this website sending me emails. How do you unsubscribe?

Old 06-26-2003, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

I know 2 guys with Lightnings and both have blown engines and I have heard of many more. It's a very impressive truck but when they are modded they tend to lose cranks. Both of these trucks were running high 7s in the 1/8 mile. Ford's new 6.0 diesel has made the National Lemon list and even the Ford techs have their own website to discuss the problems with that POS. I drove Chevies for 20 years until buying my first Dodge diesel. I now have 115,000 on that Dodge with the only part replaced being a lift pump that I changed myself in 20 minutes. None of my Chevies were that reliable. I'll never be brand loyal to anything again other than my racecar choice. And I will never buy another truck with IFS. The old 454SS was a lot quicker than the magazine times reflected. It has an extreme wheel spin problem that the early Lightnings did not. There is only about a 1/2 second difference in the 1/8 mile between a good running 454 SS and a stock 02 Lightning if you take traction out of the equation. Although that translates into almost a second difference in the 1/4. Most of the early non-SCed Lightnings ran 9.90 to 10.teens in the 1/8 mile the 454s ran 9.5 to 9.7 depending on traction. Most of the stock 01 and up Lightnings run everywhere from high 8.80s to 9.20s depending on weather, altitude, traction, etc.. My next truck will be another Dodge Diesel. I happen to like the looks of the 2500 and 3500 Dodges and I think the new 03 GM trucks are fugly. The Super Duty Fords are sharp but they should have stuck with the reliable 7.3 Stroke.

Old 06-26-2003, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

Im going with eiger 4x4, and zookyrider on this one. I think its pretty funny how all the ford guys think they have the latest and greatest stuff out there, and that absolutley NOTHING will even come close. They need to break down and admit that dodge and chevy are both every bit as good as ford. Its funny how they try to talk like ford blows everyone else out of the water.By the way specta, I dont think fords V-10 even comes close to the dodge V-10 does it? Not to mention that it wont touch the chevy 8.1 V-8 either will it? A guy my dad works with has a 99 or 2000 ford 2500 4x4 with a v-10, and every time he starts it up it sounds like its got a rod knocking! Yeah, ford might have some good technology, but like the variable boost turbo they have on the new 6.0L powerstroke, not much of it is very reliable. The new 6.0L fords have all kinds of problems like the injectors, turbos, and all kinds of other stuff. They have so much electronic stuff on them too, that you probably couldnt even begin to work on it if(or maybe its when?) it breaks down on you. Some of these posts from the chevy, and dodge guys might seem a little harsh, but in my opinion you deserve it if your that brand loyal no matter what problems it has.Im also with zooky rider on the fact that they should have just kept the 7.3L powerstroke V-8 instead of switching to the new 6.0L. The powerstroke 7.3 was a pretty good motor, but the technology doesent show very good when a 5.9L I-6 cummins turbo diesel will pull right with a V-8 7.3 powerstroke!

Old 06-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

345....FWIW, Chevy and Dodge use the same axles now; 2003 models.

Old 06-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

Eiger4X4, chill dude, if you read all my posts you'd see I've said that I hate when people think they're all high and mighty with they're vehicle...theres always someone faster. You know what my next truck will be, (or SUT...whatever you wanna call it) ....an Avalanche, its got the room I need and from what I read it tows quite well. So please hold your temper, do you talk to everyone this way..... I'm not going to go back and forth arguing with you. It has been since 93 since Chevy (last year of 454SS) has done anything....and for Dodge I'm not sure, was the SST put out to compete with the Lightning, I do know...I like the "Lil Red Truck" that was done (I believe in 78 or 79). Like I said right now the Dodge looks good on paper....when I see it run and put up the numbers THEN everyone wil see/know what truck will actually do (instead of the estimated times that are being published)....til then yes the Lightning (generation 2) is the quickest stock truck out there, at the track the Chevy SS is over 1.5 seconds off (1/4 mile), so in thatt is why they don't compete.....

As for the rest or the trucks out there, hey whatever floats your boat, all my friends have Dodges with cummings which I love, and have looked at also, I don't like the body style of the Ford as much as the Dodge, and the Chevy extended cab is definitely larger than Fords. Thats why I'm looking into the Avalanche (which I hated at first), it has the best of what I need for a decent price...I can't afford any brand with a diesel! lol! PADZZ is right....the HEMI Dodge is a better all-round deal for the everyday person wanting to drive/tow, than the Lightning...theres definitely some drawbacks with a daily driver Lightning...not many though. lol

Old 06-27-2003, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We could just about have the same conversation but replace the trucks with our ATVs. I never thought this thread would ever last this long, and its not about ATV's. I am glad I didn't subscribe to it.

Hope everyone has a great time and "Have you driven a Ford lately?" Couldn't resist.

Old 06-27-2003, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

Thank you B4THUNDER, I was kinda ill last night. Yea Dodge is the best lookin truck on the road i think right now. Yea alot of people think the Avanlanche is ugly, but they are very nice trucks, and won truck of the year. I wasnt trying to argue either i was just givin my .2 cent.

Old 06-27-2003, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

to the guy who ranted on and on about the gt40...good luck keep up with the chevy SS
it's not too likely either will make it to heavy production, they'll probably have about the same price tag, but oh my...the SS is rated @ 100 extra horsepower in modeling.

my opinion, both companies are more than capable of speed. both have been in the game a long time, both know what they're doing. i agree, the lightning will get stomped out like a fire soon, but then ford will bounce back. it's a game of cat and mouse.

as for the 454SS...now y yall gunna joke on the lil difference b/t that and the 351? ya, it's faster, and it's a HELL OF A LOT HEAVIER!!! Ever wonder why they use small blocks these days? THAT'S WHY!

everyone on this whole damn site could argue until they're blue in the face, and never get anywhere. people just need to realize that others have different tastes. and you can't judge a company by one bad car reliability story. you don't know what that owner does to his car. you don't know what kinda hell that motor has seen. don't blame f*rd or chevy for a few cracked heads or something of that nature.

oh, and for the record, i love the hemi. i personally think the 2 most absolute bad *** engines EVER made are the 426 Hemi and the LS-6 454.
g'night all[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where do you guys get your information on the new Ford Diesel problems? I hate that new Ford motor! But im just curious where you heard it from cause i want to know more. Do you think there will be more 5.9 cummins diesels sold or 6.6 duramax diesels or 6.0 powerstrokes sold? Personally i think that 5.9 is the best engine. For power and durability. Nodoy makes a Diesel like Cummins can. I agree with what you guys were saying that the 7.3 liter should be saved because it defintley was more reliable by your facts.

Quick Reply: Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv