can the cops impound your quad if its reg. and ins.?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can the cops impound your quad if its reg. and ins.?

I got stopped today on my quad. The cop told me that he can impound my quad and it cost $900 to get it out. We were in state of emergency so no vehicals were aloud on the road but the cops gave us riders a hard time. He told me that I was riding an uninsured ans un regestered vehical so if I Reg. and Ins. it can he take it?

Old 02-17-2003, 08:03 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

You neglected to say where you were, but I bet you were on the street, or in private property that you lacked permission to ride on. Your vehicle is not registered or insured for the street. So yes he can impound it, if you were operating it that way. Or, if you were trespassingins. / reg. dosen't make a difference.

Old 02-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

I'd just like to say, that cop was a dick. In a state of emergency you would think they would have better stuff to do then chace around quads. In my town there are cops like that, and there are cool cops who just look in the other direction and let you ride. My towns kind of going through an anti quad period were it comes up at every town meeting (For riding I was called a "Little Terrorist" at a town meeting). If it turns out that the cops in your area are dicks, then you just need to run when you see a cop. Just hit the nearest trail and get out of there(great addrenaline rush!!!). They cant touch you if you know the trails well and can get back to your garage in time. Im both registered and of the legal age to ride(14+ in my state) so if your on land that isnt post no truspassing, your registered, and of age to ride in your state then just pleed your case to the cop and they should let you go. Thats my advice, hope it helps.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2003, 10:29 PM
Trailblazer

So how much does it cost to reg. a quad. and also how much is insurance?

Old 02-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Dude, you live in the communist state of NJ. Might as well as forget it. No matter what you do you still can't ride on the streets or roads or public land or virtually anything else for that matter in that state.

There are place in NJ where they do impound your quad but most likely the cop was trying to scare you. Either way, you take your chances and ride on the streets illegally - if you don't get caught then great if you do then you have to accept the consequences of your actions.

Old 02-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

$10 bucks to reg. about $95 for insurance. I think it would be a good idea to have the docs on you, because the cop wouldnt be expecting you to have it and you might impress him with your thoroughness. Just a thought. They're really just expecting you to run from them, it's no fun for them if you don't give them a hard time. I guarentee if you're not a complete retard to him he won't impound your bike.

Old 02-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

I go out on the road and plow all the time. The police just wave when I go by. I talkt to a State trooper and he said as long as you don't act like a D*CK and follow the traffic laws adn use "Bicycle" turn signals with your arm he said they won't bother you here in PA. Most teh people are glad to see me comming witha plow any way!

Old 02-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

If the cop has an atitude, he can do anything he pleases! He might be wrong, but it'll cost YOU money, to find that out!