Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Thinking about a drag ATV

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a drag ATV

what about a modified 250r drag frame. with a polanda motor (250r bottom end and polaris 400 cylinder) Mp racing had one of these at dunfest last year and it was very fast.

Old 06-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

tha guys polonda is 500cc's and has daves head in it over a dozen times. I would not go with a polonda. 10k will get you a good bike to roll with. 5k in the motor department will get you a fair motor. Might be able to get away with a mild monoblock cheetah/trex. If it were me and you had 10k id do as you said because anytime you buy somebodies complete bike nobody considers it "your" bike at the track. It will always be considered the other guys bike that you bought it from since he built it.

6k will get you a roller and 5k will get you a motor. 400 feet and only doing 80? I have a 250r that runs 75 fairly consistently in 300 feet and a banshee that is comlpetely capable of running 90 in 300 as well. 80 should be no problem for you. If you need any help/recomendations PM me

Old 06-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

me and my friend are just about done building a warrior with an r6 motor in it.we had the motor dynoed at 147 horsepower and that should be enough power to beat or hang with almost any banshee in the world

Old 06-18-2004, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll keep that offer in mind Dabeachman.
Except I'll have to figure out how to do a PM <giggle>
Next scheduled trip to the left coast is in October.
I'll probably hit you up for some advice closer to then.
One quick question though. How difficult do you think it would be, to adapt (other than tires obviously)one of the sand drag machines to asphalt? One thing about our local track, it doesn't allow wheelie bars, and you left coast guys seem to like standing these things on end.

Old 06-19-2004, 01:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

fastest banshee's in the world? LOL ok buddy...again, you need to open your eyes to what the world really has to offer. 147hp isnt much in the drag industry, especially a 4-stroke. Hope you get that tranny reworked, shift it fast enough and figure yourself a nice little exhaust system. Bet that 147hp will go far in that warrior frame...lol

Hodgen, with asphalt they should really allow you to run a bar. I dont see why they wouldnt as must professionally organized sand drag events held by the asda require a bar for safety reasons. If feasable you want your wheelbase as short as possible while the bike remains stable. As far as sand to asphault you would change tires and gear. Without being able to run a bar i wouldnt shorten the wheel base up any.

Old 06-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: DaBeechMan
tha guys polonda is 500cc's and has daves head in it over a dozen times. I would not go with a polonda. 10k will get you a good bike to roll with. 5k in the motor department will get you a fair motor. Might be able to get away with a mild monoblock cheetah/trex. If it were me and you had 10k id do as you said because anytime you buy somebodies complete bike nobody considers it "your" bike at the track. It will always be considered the other guys bike that you bought it from since he built it.

6k will get you a roller and 5k will get you a motor. 400 feet and only doing 80? I have a 250r that runs 75 fairly consistently in 300 feet and a banshee that is comlpetely capable of running 90 in 300 as well. 80 should be no problem for you. If you need any help/recomendations PM me
Damn Beechman, I would like to see your Banshee run. One of our riding buddies has a 565 powervalve that ran a 3.9 at 84mph at the Texas Sand drags with no wheelie bar and it is scary fast.

Old 06-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's the lack of being able to use a wheelie bar, is why I am looking at adapting a sand machine.
I doubt these are sanctioned events, as the track is actually owned by a motorcycle club. It could very well be they don't allow them, to try and hold down speeds. Stopping is definately an issue because the shut down area is extremely short. And if you somehow manage to poke through a couple hay bales, you dump out onto a highway.

I am not sure why this adventure appeals to me. It sure as hell ain't a money making adventure ,prize money wise, but there is some decent money on side bet action. At least with the big city guys, as most their racing is done outlaw on the streets. They cruise around the city talking "stuff", then quick unload and run one off. That culture seems to follow them to the track too.

Old 06-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Range Rover

why not try to put a hayabusa engine in a frame that will smoke most all quads

Old 06-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually, in the motercycle division, one of those hayabusa's did show up. It was a pretty funky looking thing. He really didn't have that good of a showing. He got spanked pretty bad by some turbo equipted sportster, and some guy with a full drag bike pretty much dominated everyone. If memory serves me correctly, the guy with the full drag bike, broke the track record 3 times that night. His last run was 102 if I remember correctly. Two wheels ain't for me though.

Old 06-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Range Rover

ya so u can take the engine put it into a quad frame and play around with the sprockets. remember now the hayabusa holds the land speed record

Quick Reply: Thinking about a drag ATV