Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Is my stator to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2000 | 03:56 AM
|
Range Rover

I've posted before about not being able to get a spark from my 99 Warrior. I'm clueless about electrical systems. I believe, now, that the stator is faulty, so would this cause my quad not to spark? I thought it would at least run off of the battery, but I guess not. Do any of you know for sure? Thanks a lot.

Old 08-27-2000 | 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

You say you have a hot battery; the juice in the battery alone ought to run your ignition a long time. If your stator's kaput, you won't recharge the battery when it runs down.

Understand you've replaced both the coil and the CDI without success; keep going and you'll have an entire new quad (just kidding, just kidding!).

You should be able to get your problem diagnosed for no more than one shop hour; what does that cost? $ 50? $ 100? What did the unnecessary coil and CDI cost? I think you've got a date with the service department of your friendly local Yamaha dealership.

Don't misunderstand me; I know how frustrating mystery malfunctions (and obvious malfunctions, too) can be; good luck on finding and fixing your problem.

Tree Farmer

Old 08-28-2000 | 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I may be able to help you, but I have to ask a couple questions. First, do you have a tether kill switch wired into your warrior? And second, do you get the engine wet a lot? You may be burning you CDI's out because of faulty wiring. And if the stator has water on it, then it won't work correctly. You can't really have a burnt out stator, because it is just a coil of wires. It is most likely somewhere in the wiring or ignition so I would stick to those areas. Check to see if you have worn any of the covering off the wires you may be shorting out somewhere.

Old 08-28-2000 | 09:01 PM
|
Range Rover

Raychalp, no I don't have a tether kill switch. The engine rarely gets wet, although it has few times. Another thing I found bizzare, is that the stator is partially submerged in the engine oil. I always thought they should run dry, but evidently, not in Warriors. The Clymer's manual even said to drain the oil before removing the left-hand side crankcase cover. And sure enough, the Stator is drenched in oil. Also, when I measure the resistance in the wires, the readings from the source coil are correct, but I get no readings at all from the pick-up coil. Is this a sure indicator of it's condition?

Old 08-28-2000 | 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

First of all, that situation with the oil is very odd. I am almost positive that that is a problem, you might have bad main seals in the engine. However, I doubt that is causing your problem. If I understand you correctly, then here is my solution. If the pick up coil is zero, then my guess is that you have a short somewhere between the CDI and the pick up. I believe that a 0 reading means that you have a completed circuit, which means that it is a short somewhere(I think). Check all connections to see if they are secure. Like I said, I doubt it is the stator because they can't really go bad. It is more likely the CDI or ignition coil. I assume that you are getting the resistance readings from a Clymer(or equivalent manual) so that should help to pinpoint the problem. If I were you, I would give Ricky Stator a call. They know a lot about electrical systems and they could probably help you more than I. I have had many electrical problems in the past though, so I do have a little experience in that area. Anyway, good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 08-28-2000 | 11:45 PM
|
Range Rover

Yeah the deal with the oil is wierd. When the crankcase cover is pulled off, the area where the stator resides is shared by the starter motor shaft, as well as some other gears. At the bottom of the compartment is a square opening for the crankcase oil to flow through. It's kind of hard to describe, but Yamaha purposely wanted oil in there. There are 7 different wires which come out of the stator. Then they plug in to the wiring harness outside the motor. So when I test them, the CDI isn't connected. Even so, the source coil reads fine, but the pick-up doesn't. I've checked all my connections, and I have a new ignition coil, and I mistakenly ordered a new CDI, because I failed to test the stator earlier. Stupid of me, I know. So far, the only bad readings I get are from the stator. But, hey, thanks alot for the help, I appreciate it.

Old 08-29-2000 | 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

when you look at your digtal multimeter and it reads .00 you have continuity but not resistance (the same as checking a short piece of copper wire) If your meter shows O.L you have no continuity(same as a cut wire or a "open" in electrical terms). when checking your pickup also check resistance(ohms) to ground I beleive there should be no continuity. If you have .00 resistance between the two wires on your pickup you may have a "short"(two wires touching together when they are not suppose too)I would have to beleive there would normally be a measurable amount of resistance through the pickup but check your manual for correct reading. If you are getting a O.L("open") reading take two sewing needles and peirce each wire right at the pickup, connect your leads and if you now get a good reading the wireing is bad to the pickup, if you get the same O.L(open) then the pickup is bad. Don't let making a mistake and buying a new cdi before correctly diagnosing your problem bum you out, we have all done or fair share of not so smart things. Use this experience to expand your knowledge of elecricity and how your bike works. There will come a time when the things you are learning today will help you tomarrow. Taking your bike to the shop can be sometimes cheaper than fixing it yourself when you make misdiagnoses and buy wrong parts, but for the most part with a little patience and a good factory repair manual you can fix anything on your bike. If you havent receive the cdi box yet from the dealer just pay the restocking fee if they will let you, if not you can try to sell it and if you get 75% of what you paid you have probably stayed with what you would have paid to take your bike to them and had them find your problem. good luck

Old 08-29-2000 | 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

This might not help but I'll tell it to you anyways...put booster cables on your battery from a car and try to turn it on if it turns over you know it's rather your battery or the stator.

Old 08-29-2000 | 10:56 PM
|
Range Rover

Thanks alot, guys. RSS396, I was finally able able to get a hold of somebody more knowledgable than myself, and he told me the same thing you did, almost to the letter. The pick-up coil is bad, but what really burns me is that Yamaha will not sell the pick-up coil seperately. They want over $300.00 for the entire assembly. But like you said, I did learn alot, and won't rush through electrical problems again. I desperately want to get to the Oregon Dunes this Labor Day weekend, so I think Yamaha has stuck me one more time. Thanks again, guys.