Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Has anyone gotton a quad street legal

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone gotton a quad street legal

Has anyone gotton a quad street legal if so i would like to know how and what cc it has to be and what all I need to make it street legal Does it need to be liscensed and can you drive in on the road or do you have to on the shoulder.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

I'm sorry and i might be lacking some sleep or just grumpy but why in the world would you want a quad that was street legal? They used to have street legal quads and they quit makin them, they're called YUGO's. I'm sorry if i upset you but i read this to the wife and a buddy and had to respond, have a good one!

Old 06-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

out of curiostity what did your buddy and your wife say.and to answer your question.before you said that i already thougth about it and i decided to go ahead and get a street bike instead i just didnt know if a quad would be any different at all so thanks for the comment and at leats your honest.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Wyoming all you need is a mirror, brake light and a horn. A squeeze bulb bicycle horn will do. You also need to licence it. There are a few guys that ride them around town one of them wears a suit. Talk about funny looking! I thought about it since I can ride 6 or so blocks and have some good riding but prefere sneeking down the alley like when I was a kid. Back then the cops made you push your bike home and I have often tried to picture myself pushing my beast home lol.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Range Rover

mdebuck, thanks for being a sport there. I've heard that question a million times on here and it still strikes me the same, ...why? I have seen people do it but i just don't understand why a person would spend the money to modify something to be something it isn't WHEN you can just but a car. I'm glad i didn't make you feel dumb because that wasn't my intention. To answer you question, the wife is clueless and the buddy had the same question. Good luck with your bike, stay safe and have a great weekend!

Old 06-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

yea some states let you like arizona i think louisiana but no not texas which sucks but yea there is kits that buisness' sale and you have to pay insurance and stuff but i think it would be awesome to have one

Old 06-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Range Rover

IN Arizona you are allowed to make them street legal however like the rest I dont know why you would... For example I had a 1984 200x, put a mirror on it with brake lights, and a horn.... Had to pay registration fees each year and it must have insurance... It was a little costly so didnt keep up the insurance or registration, I used it mainly because at my cabin you had to ride 3-5 miles on the highway to get to the trails, if the cops catch you and they key is catch you, the fine is just like having no insurance and no registration for a car , very costly... And they can take the bike for 6 months..... But yeah its possible.....

- Nowadays I ride a 450r and the cops have no chance of catching me, just hit a trail and your gone.... Not work the 500 a year or so for insurance.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

OK guys sorry to be the one to go against the grain but CMON, your all telling me you would get NO satisfaction out of pulling up next to one of these rice burners at a traffic light and gettin a nice drag race in. Quadzilla man i know u knw what im talking about. plus think about the wheelies you could rip flyin down the highway. i would pay the 500 a year just to have the freedom to drive my quad around town and save a little money on gas. Maybe i see it differently bcuz i spend more time running from cops than i do riding. (cops in New York are a$$holes) So all in all, i say lets start a nationwide campaign to make atvs street legal. besides that i think atvs are much safer than street bikes. and id like to end with a comment my MOTHER told me, "ride it like you stole it." LMAO

Old 10-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

well i dont see whats the big deal , i would love to have my quad street legal here in michigan. first off the 500 or so a year for insurance is no problem, think if you crash it even if your not on the road you still have your whole bike insured. and also i would save a hell of alot of money on gas rather than driving my jeep around that gets 12 mpg city and 15 highway.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 2MUCHTorque

OK guys sorry to be the one to go against the grain but CMON, your all telling me you would get NO satisfaction out of pulling up next to one of these rice burners at a traffic light and gettin a nice drag race in. Quadzilla man i know u knw what im talking about. plus think about the wheelies you could rip flyin down the highway. i would pay the 500 a year just to have the freedom to drive my quad around town and save a little money on gas. Maybe i see it differently bcuz i spend more time running from cops than i do riding. (cops in New York are a$$holes) So all in all, i say lets start a nationwide campaign to make atvs street legal. besides that i think atvs are much safer than street bikes. and id like to end with a comment my MOTHER told me, "ride it like you stole it." LMAO</end quote></div>

sorry this is soo late...but this is exactly how I feel!!!

I can't understand why motorcycles have an actual class people have to take (which is easy from what I hear), and they allow these newbies to ride these bikes go 120mph!!! Quads don't go a 120mph, so keep the engine sizes around

just lower the hell out of them with better suspension, widen it, blinkers, plate, maybe a mirror, and some street tires and it's a done deal for me.

I agree, there should be rules and regulations just like anything else...but it is a little "stupid" imo.

Quick Reply: Has anyone gotton a quad street legal