Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

K&N or ProFlow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-1999, 11:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your opinion on these filters. Which one offers more airflow. Think of putting one of these on my bike.

------------------
Boomer '99 Wolverine

Old 08-06-1999, 08:45 AM

I would suggest a pro-flow or similar filter mounting system to replace the unreliable factory setup and the filter of your choice. I prefer foam over K&Ns. K&Ns will flow slightly more but the dual stage foams are better at filtering finer particles.

------------------

Old 08-06-1999, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Bommer, the K&N's must be pretty reliable, they just won Baja, and they flow better than anything. I use Outerwears for a little more protection and you can go a little longer between cleanings by changing or washing them.

------------------
TRXter

400EX

Old 08-10-1999, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

I have just replaced my Uni filter with a Proflow setup, the Proflow filter comes with an outer filter(foam), after the installation my Wolverine ran rich I then went down one size on the main jet, the Proflow filter with the outer filter does restrict air flow, man I didn't like that, less air=less gas=less power!! I called Proflow about this problem, they told me that the inner filter was dual density and to remove the outer filter.(it was for very dusty conditions)With the outer installed the air filter setup really filled up my air box, the filter was touching the sides and the bottom of the air box, it seems to me that this was also restricting the air flow. With the outer wrap removed the quad responded much better I havn't had a chance to rejet yet(back to a #150) maybe I can get to it tonight, when I do I will post my findings.

Old 08-13-1999, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

One vote for K/N they have an inpressive history.

Old 08-16-1999, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer

I like the foam rather than the K&N because it filters better in my experience. I have found small dust particles in the air intake boot when using K&N's, but not with the Pro-Flo foam setup I have now.

I really think that there isn't a heck of a lot of flow difference between the two.

Old 08-22-1999, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boomer, we're not addressing the problem you have with the Wolverine, whis basically the one I had with my Warrior, It's not either of those two filters, they're both good, It's THE FILTER MOUNT SYSTEM (caps intentional) that Yamaha seems to be infatuated with for over a decade. Of the two in question, the Pro Design system is a billet mount which bolts to the back of the airbox which then accepts either or both of the two foam filters supplied, with hose clamps. When it's on, it's on, no question.You may want to think about a Moto Force airbox lid to complete the set up. It is vented at the side of the lid & supplies 90% of the air that no lid at all supplies, Per the tech at Moto Force. By all means don't fail to go at least one size fatter on your main. I'd go two if it were me & drop one size if necessary. Jets are cheaper than new valves

Cal, the Az hardpacker

------------------
join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online at www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 08-21-1999).]

Old 08-23-1999, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

I finally got around to re-jetting my Wolverine after I removed the Proflow outer rap. I re-installed a #150 Dynojet, now my ride prefroms as good as it did with the Uni and the 150 jet.See my previous reply in this post.