Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Painting Stock Plastic... is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2001 | 11:27 PM
|
Pro Rider

Has anyone ever painted their stock plastic? I'm wanting to give my 400ex a new look and want to paint the plastic.

Anyone know what type of paint to use?- and any preperations I should do to the plastic before painting? Should it be primed- or even sanded?- should there be a top coat?

Is there any spray paints that can be used on plastic? I've heard I could use auto- bumper touch up paint.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

RGB

I see nothing wrong with your post(s) other than you spammed most of the forums with the same question. A few duplicates have been deleted and this one will likely be moved or locked. In the future, please decide where you feel your question will receive the answers you need and post into that forum instead of posting the exact question/post in several forums. Thanks!

Old 07-02-2001 | 02:20 AM
Trailblazer

you need a plastic prep called "bulldog" availible at your local auto paint store
this allows it to bond to the plastic. make sure you prep the surface with a prepaint cleaner availible at the some place.
Good luck and let us know of the results

Old 07-02-2001 | 07:21 AM
Range Rover

Are you planning on just highlighting edges and clear coating the rest of the plastic? If you are i would recommend against that. The clear will only have a chemical bond to the plastic. What I would suggest is to choose a color as a ground coat(similar to the color of the plastic), and then do your highlighting. If you can give me an idea of how you want it to look I am sure I can give you a suggestion that will work.

WARNING! Once you start prepping the plastic there is NO going back!! "standard disclaimer"

Its obvious that you must remove the plastic from the quad. Next wash the plastic inside and out with a grey (3M) scotch bright pad with dish detergent throughly. This will lighly scuff the plastic and semi remove the release agents from the plastic. Dry off the plastic and look for any shiney areas that were missed....Rescuff those areas. You want the water to sheet off of the plastic, not like a freshed waxed hood on a car. Next wet sand the plastic with some 400 grit "wet and dry" sand paper. Make sure that you get all tight areas very well. Make sure that you get the outside edges well also! They are just as important! Those areas will be the first to peal if not prepped correctly. If your doing the whole plastic (tank cover, rad cover, frt fenders, and rear fenders you will use approx 4-5 9x11 sheets) Dry the plastic and recheck for any missed areas. Remember the flatter the prepped area the better the job will look. If you have any small chips or scratches take a small flat block of wood (paint paddles/sticks work well) and wet sand the area well to remove any little imperfections. Next use a red (3M) scotch bright pad with a plastic cleaner (this will need to be purchased at an automotive paint supply house) ICI autocolor's # is 1333 cleaner for plastics. RM's part number is 901 and or 902. The 1333 plastic cleaner is the best I have seen... Spies Hecker has some also but I dont have the part # in front of me. All of the major paint lines have plastic refinish procedures but NOT all of them work sucessfully! You need to scuff the plastic again w/ the red scuff pad and the plastic cleaner. Make sure the cleaner does not dry up... keep it wet. This will open the pores to the plastic and greatly help adheasion. Rinse and dry the plastic off. You have to topcoat the plastic with a plastic primer within 10 minutes of cleaning/drying the plastic with the 1333. Next apply 2 medium coats of plastic primer (ICI's #2001) with a flash of 5-10 minutes between coats. Let the plastic primer dry for 15 minutes and then top coat it with a high quality urethane sealer that has a flex additive added to it.
Once the sealer has flashed now apply your basecoat Apply your basecoat until coverage is obtained, making sure that you gave each coat plenty of flash time inbetween coats. Let the base coat sit for 15 minutes per coat (3 coats 45 minutes, 4 coats 1 hour) After a thourough flash you can do any graphics or Highlighting as wanted. Next apply a high quality clearcoat (follow instructions for the clear you use for painting plastics) adding flexagent etc. There are many diff paint lines out there. If you decide on one stick with there system from start to finish. Just keep in mind that NOT all of them work like they say they do. The best plastic refinish systems I have seen are from Spies Hecker, ICI Autocolor, and Sikkens. The other companys have systems but for painting quad plastic is a diff story. This project wont be cheap since most companys dont sell these products in small amounts. Let me know and I can put together a few small cans with the products you will need. I am sorry this was such a long post but thats whats involved in painting plastic and having it hold up well. If you have any more questions or if your confused about something let me know and I will help as much as I can

There are NO spray cans of paint that will adhear to plastic. Those cans you see in automotive paint stores are for touch up and lack the adheasion propertys that you need to stick to quad plastic (normal quad plastic is made of PP, PUR or PE)

Remember once you start there is no going back..... If you try and cut corners and rush through it your paint WILL chip and peal off the plastic....

-------------------------

Old 07-02-2001 | 12:22 PM
|
Pro Rider

B370-

Man!- that's just the info I was looking for! I really appreciate it!.

I understand the no turning back thing- I have full intentions of FULLY painting the plastic. I'm thinking that I want to do a Midnight Blue. So dark that it almost looks black. I'd like to have metallic flecs in the paint as well- I'm not sure if that's possible.

In your post you keep mentioning "flashes" between coats. What are you referring to? is "flash" an application- or just a term used for the drying period?

how much do you think it will cost to repaint the entire plastic of my 400ex? What Auto store carries all this stuff? I have the Auto Zone, and Checker auto near my house.

If there are no "spray" paints available- should I use a standard paint brush?- or is it possible to use an air spray gun?

thanks for all your help!!!!

RGB

Old 07-03-2001 | 07:17 AM
Range Rover

If you decided to do basecoat clearcoat then you can pick a color that has metallic or pearl in it.....(that would be easiest)

Flash is the time between coats.... After you apply a coat of what ever (Plastic primer, Sealer, Basecoat, or Clearcoat) you need to let the solvents out <evaporate>...(or flash off). Some products need a longer "flash time" between coats and your ambient temperature will also have alot to do with how the products will flash

You wont be able to go to any auto parts store for these products... You have to go to an Automotive paint supplier. You can try and contact a local bodyshop but they may not sell you the stuff you need. Another thing would be to get PDS (Product Data Sheets) on everything so that way there you will know what has to mix with what, how many coats, flash time, dry time ect.

You can NOT use a paint brush w/ any automotive paint system.. they all need to be sprayed from a gun. Your best bet would be to contact a "reputable" bodyshop and see what they would charge you..... All the materials you need will end up costing you about 250-300.00$+ if not more....

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

Old 07-03-2001 | 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

The other posts are correct...It is possible to paint the plastic with the proper paint and prep time...
I will say that it does not hold up...I don't care what kind of paint you use...If you like to ride the quad..and ride it hard. It's only going to look pretty for a short time. In my opinion..not worth the effort unless your into showing the bike..or the like.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-04-2001 | 12:07 PM
Range Rover

sayit_fmf:

While I agree with you to a point about the paint holding up.... I also disagree! The paint can and WILL hold up if done right... Can I ask what kind of vehicle you drive? Have you ever thought about the fact that there are a few million cars on the road with plastic bumpers that are painted? How come the paint sticks to them? Yes if you crash your quad or car for that fact, the paint will hold up to a point. I origionally painted my tank cover about 7 years ago. The only reason I repainted it was for a different color design. SO far It has held up great. Ask anyone that I have ridden with on the net and they can tell you..... I am not afraid to ride it, mow down trees, or wheelie over backwards(all of which I have done) and with no ill effects to the finish.

Old 07-05-2001 | 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

Yes..It could just be me. Paint that goes on bumpers is usually rubberized to a point. More like a thin version of undercoating. Your right, The paint, if done properly might hold up.
Anytime that I have painted flexible plastic...I have taken much time preparing the material. When the paint does decide to come off...what's left does not look very well.
There is alot of newer technology out there now...with all the self etching and plastic specific paints available. I guess it could work. Just never had good luck myself. And I grew up watching my dad paint cars for a living. The bumpers that go on cars are far from the same plastic a quad is made from. But it's been years since I have fired up a paint sprayer. No place to work...and to much effort for a proper job.
I'm was not saying that it can't be done...But seems to me that for what it will cost to do a job that will hold up....It might be worth it to get a second set of plastic.

Oh...and yes you may ask what kind of car I drive.... 1976 triumph spitfire..No plastic there...1992 ford Explorer..No plastic..and a 1992 Isuzu amigo (camp vehicle..Not even on the road. set up for mud)...and no plastic. I can't seem to get myself into some of the newer gangster cars out there. Mine run just fine as they are..

Understand that I was just giving my input. I think you will be hardpressed to find a paint shop that will recommend painting wheeler plastic.

Old 07-05-2001 | 09:17 PM
Range Rover

Sayit_fmf:
I am sorry if I came across a little harsh..... but most OE quad plastic is made of PP (Polypropelyne) That is the same plastic that 90% of Nissan/Infinity bumpers are made of.... and many other OE and aftermarket bumpers. I too agree that you would have a hard time finding a shop that will paint quad plastic, but done properly it can and will hold up.
The plastic systems that are available now are far superior to what was available years ago. I've been painting for the last 15 years and I've been a paint rep for 7 of those years.... I have seen and used almost every system out on the market... Painting plastic for a quad is NOT cheap nor easy.... I just want to let people know that it can be done, BUT they have to follow a system. The MOST common reason paint does not hold up on bumpers or quad plastic is because people start to cut corners or dont follow procedures.
So I appologize for coming across a little harsh.......