Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

WHICH WAY DO I MOVE THE NEEDLE CLIP

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 96 warrior and im pretty sure i need to adjust the needle and here is why i think that. the warrior has a ids2 silencer and k&n jet kit with filter and it ran fine with those mods. but last week i put in a wiseco piston(standered i didnt bore it out) and now it seems to loose alittle spit and spudder when i get 3/4 through full throttle. im pretty sure it's not getting enough gas. so please tell me which way i need to move the needle clip in order for my quad to run right. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Old 12-13-2001, 11:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

To get more fuel in the 1/3-WFO, the needle needs to be moved up. SO you move the c-clip down on the needle.

RoostKing...

Old 12-13-2001, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

i thought that i had to go down but i wasnt sure. i just need alittle assurance that was what i need to do..thanks roostking

Old 12-13-2001, 02:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No problem...

RoostKing...

Old 12-13-2001, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3/4 to full is the main jet, not the needle. The needle is the midrange control. You also say it spits and sputters, that is a condition of being rich, which means you need to drop your jet (one size at a time until it runs right). If it was lean, it would bog. The bigger question is why is it not running right. Did you change anything on the carbs, exhaust, or airbox at the same time or is the new piston the only change that you made? Did it change the compression ratio or is it a true stock replacement? Either way, the quad should not be running rich now. Did you follow proper break in procedures? If you did not, it may be partially seezing. Is the cam timed right or is it off a tooth or two? That can have a huge affect on the way the quad runs. I ask these questions because the quad should not run worse now than before.

Old 12-13-2001, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

so you think it could be running rich? the piston is a little lighter then the stock one. but thats the only difference. no sir i didnt change anything on the carb. at all..i tried moving the needle up one position(i moved the clip down)..it has a k&n jet kit in it..so wut size mian jet should i try?.. please help..thank

Old 12-14-2001, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

The big cause for concern is that the top end was removed to put the new piston in. When it was reassembled, did everything go back together exactly like it was before? I ask this, because you should not have to lean out the engine after freshening the top end. But the symptoms you desribe suggest that it is running rich on your top end. I would double check that your cam timing. If you are positive that everything is set to spec, then I would just drop your main one size from whats in there. With the jet kit, you should have a couple to choose from, just use the next smaller number. Have you checked your plug? What color is it?

Old 12-14-2001, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

sir, i moved the clip one slot down last night and it seemed to make the symptoms switch...now it spits and sputters down low instead of closer to full throttle like it was before..help me out .. im confused?

thanks for your advice

Old 12-14-2001, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

O.K. Moving the clip down, which raised the needle, richened up the mid range. Your needle controls the midrange, about 1/4 - 3/4 throttle. This is why it now spits and sputters down low (when you say down low, I am assumming after you come up off of idle a little bit, not as soon as you touch the throttle) Return the clip back to its original position. Your original symptoms were up high, on the main jet circuit (3/4 - full throttle), so drop your main jet one size (next smaller number) from what you have in it now and see what happens. I am still concerned on why it is running rich now. All things considered, the new piston should not have caused your quad to suddenly start running rich like it is.

Old 12-14-2001, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

cbus660r thanks for all the help..i will try moving the clip back and putting in the lower jet tonight. thanks again